Sanitation hose length hunter 41

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
hi all
I am looking for anyone who knows the sanitation hose lengths for a hunter 41. The manual gives a good diagram of the hose layouts and the diameter, also on this forum are some really in-depth reviews of what type of hoses and brands to buy but nowhere can I find the length of the hose runs for My hunter 41. I really don’t want to start this stinky job with out having all the right replacement parts and seeing as the hoses are expensive I don’t want to over or under buy.
Many thanks

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Its kinda like any home project. Get out your tape measure and run the length from head to tank or if a vacuflush, head to module and then to tank. Probably times two in your case having two heads. Now add 20 percent. Couple the ends of new hose to old hose with proper fittings and glue. That will be wasted line, sacrificing the couplings and a bit of hose but, but well worth not having a failure under your sole. Snake the lines through and for probably under 20 dollars of excess, you will have enough.

Good luck.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I wouldn't even begin to pre cut sanitation hose for a final fit without trying it at the boat first. The stuff I've used is a bit unwieldly and can require a little heat to get the connectors seated. It's too bad boat parts suppliers don't offer pre formed hoses. Life would be much easier.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I really don’t want to start this stinky job with out having all the right replacement parts and seeing as the hoses are expensive I don’t want to over or under buy.
It doesn't have to be a stinky job unless you start taking things apart without first THOROUGHLY rinsing out the system. A disposable aluminum pan or plastic garbage bag under hose connections to catch drips is important too. Neglecting to do that and prepare for the job before you start it will create another smelly job: cleaning up the spills and eliminating the odors they leave behind.
Fwiw, there are complete step-by-step instructions for replacing hoses, tanks and toilets in my book (see link in my signature below).
--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Many thanks for all your advice and I fully agree proper planning and preparations is the key to efficient success. I pulled out my trusty tap-measure and have a rough idea of the lengths and will add 15% for error and wast. Once I have the new ones in I will measure the old ones for an accurate length and share with the community. Many thanks again for the guidance
Bill

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
So I have been doing my planning and measuring and in the process I came across a 5th 1 1/2 hose and have know clue what it is for or where it runs too. I attached a picture and guidance much appreciated

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It appears that the tank has TWO discharge ports--one with a line going directly to the deck pumpout fitting, the other going directly to an overboard discharge pump and thru-hull. Both will have pickup tubes going to the bottom inside the tank (trying figure out why they'd both be wrapped in black plastic sheeting). But I'll be darned if I can figure out what the 5th hose is for... UNLESS it's the inlet for a second toilet or an inlet hose for gray water. If that's what it is, it shouldn't be because USCG regs prohibit combine gray and black water in the same tank due to the risk of harmful bacteria from sewage migrating into the sinks.

-Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
There are two heads, deck pump out discharge and macerator discharge plus the vent so 5 hoses.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I just redid mine with Shields series 168 PVC lined hose. It came out great. It took 50' of 1" hose which I ran from each macerating toilet straight to the tank and changed the fitting on the tank from inch and a half to one inch. I know Peggy won't agree with the change but it works great. Fill the bowl up and flush once at the end of each day. That's a lot of pressure and water in a 1" hose. Replaced the vent with one inch and ran new 1.5" hoses to the Deck and macerator. The Shields 168 is guaranteed for life not to permeate as it is lined with PVC and it slips on the fittings pretty easy so make sure you use good hose clamps and that the hose can not twist to ensure they are tightened enough. You need about 40' of 1.5" and 50' of 1". I got 50' of both and have some 1.5" left over.

P.S. WalMart had it cheaper than anyone if you can wait on the order.

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Thank you all for the great advice and quantity information. I am waiting on the hoses to ship and a cool day to get started will keep you posted on my progress.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Tucker, Hunter changed the 1" outlet to 1.5" after the loop at the bowl. I changed the fittings to 1" on the tank and ran the 1" hose all the way. It maintains macerator pressure all the way to the tank and reduces the amount of water required to flush the hose fully. I purchased the fittings from here....
https://flexpvc.com/
Product: 1436-211 1.5MPT x 1 inch barb ($2.63 ea.)
I used the Blue PVC pipe dope on the threads at the tank, don't put too much pressure on the PVC fittings.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
HELP. I am two thirds the way into replacing the sanitation hoses. Everything has been going smoothly till I got to the pump out hose, the hose clamps are so high up I am having issues reaching them to in screw them. Tried a macgyver by adding some length to my ratchet but not effective. Anyone have this issue. Picture of the hose attached to the deck fitting as you can see it is way up there in a tight spot
7EF8FDAA-D859-43E0-8C48-4D464797BCA9.jpeg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Problem could have been avoided if you'd turned the clamps around to put the slot on the other side of the hose before you put the hose onto the fitting (I know..."NOW you tell me!"). If you can loosen the top one enough to rotate it to the left a bit, you can prob'ly get a 90 degree screwdriver into it. If not, can you move the black corrugated hose out of the way enough to get a 90 degree screwdriver into it? Maybe reach behind it? I can't see the screw on the bottom one enough to have any ideas, but if you can tighten one clamp, it should be ok on a pumpout fitting.
--Peggie

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Hi Peggy thanks for the quick reaponse. The issue is actually the manufacture ( hunter )did it when they built the boat . I am still trying figure a way to get them off and a plan to putting on the new hose and clamps . I have very long arms, per my wife and the fitting is at the top of my each. Kind of worried I will not be able to put the new hose on if I take the old off. Expertise welcome

- Larimar

Ps
With just the first head and maciator sanitation hoses replace the boat smells 100 percent better even the admirals sensitive nose said so.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Go into the salon and take off the screws holding on the handrail and trim that cover the underside of the jib cars. You only have to take off enough to be able to pull down and get a socket on a long extension onto the hose clamps. At least one other person helping is very handy at this point. Hunter did not think about the replacement of these items.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Problem could have been avoided if you'd turned the clamps around to put the slot on the other side of the hose before you put the hose onto the fitting (I know..."NOW you tell me!"). If you can loosen the top one enough to rotate it to the left a bit, you can prob'ly get a 90 degree screwdriver into it. If not, can you move the black corrugated hose out of the way enough to get a 90 degree screwdriver into it? Maybe reach behind it? I can't see the screw on the bottom one enough to have any ideas, but if you can tighten one clamp, it should be ok on a pumpout fitting.
--Peggie
Unfortunately Peggy you can't even touch what he's looking at. The reach from inside the forward hanging locker to the deck is impossible. There is the need for some other disassembly. The manufacturer never thinks beyond the warranty period for removing and replacing parts.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Boat builders never even think that far. Everything goes into the hull before they put the deck on and the people they hire to install it all often just drop it in wherever they happen to be standing at the time. And then put something else in that blocks access to it.
I'm gonna have to let y'all figure this one out.

--Peggie

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Uncledon
You are the man I totally missed that little gap. Used a old plumber trick to get the clamps off cut the pipe with a dremel then cleaned it up from inside the opening right up to the deck fitting. Then a little work loosening just enough to pull off. Thanks again for the tips you just saved me a day of figuring!

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
O and then took the deck fitting off so I can make sure I can get the hose on tight. Reseated the fitting with 4000 pushed the hose clamp in place and used your trick. Working like a champ

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Really glad I could save you a little trouble. Which hose did you wind up using?