Sanitation hose for 356

• Thread starter Former member 134612
  • Start date
F

Former member 134612

Can anyone tell me the length of 1 1/2" hose I need to replace the existing waste from head to holding tank? Hunter manual shows the diameter but not the length. Thanks!

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
17 feet! way more than the recommended max length...
I started with a 21 ft length, pumped and flushed the hose/tank, disconnected at the tank and head, then connected the old and new hoses with a coupler and tape. after cutting the various tie wraps holding the hose I fed the new hose in thru the portlight in the head, pulled the old hose out thru the stern locker. trimmed the ends and reattached. this worked well, no mess no smell in the boat but what a pain! I never understood why they didn't put the tank on the port side, much closer to the head.. but that would have put a lot more weight on the port side, already heavy with the batteries.

F

Former member 134612

Thanks Chuck! I had to go ahead and buy my hose before I saw your response, and bought 16 feet. In fact I only needed 15 so it was a good guess. I did much the same as you did. The difficult was getting the new hose onto the fitting at the tank end, and both hoses into the reducer at the head. A hairdryer helped, but what a pain. Now the macerator pump empties the bowl in a second. I felt very fortunate to find the right hose in Freeport, Bahamas.
I appreciate your response.

Pat
17 feet! way more than the recommended max length...
I started with a 21 ft length, pumped and flushed the hose/tank, disconnected at the tank and head, then connected the old and new hoses with a coupler and tape. after cutting the various tie wraps holding the hose I fed the new hose in thru the portlight in the head, pulled the old hose out thru the stern locker. trimmed the ends and reattached. this worked well, no mess no smell in the boat but what a pain! I never understood why they didn't put the tank on the port side, much closer to the head.. but that would have put a lot more weight on the port side, already heavy with the batteries.

Mar 20, 2004
Yeah, it was a pain! I'm always a little generous with lengths - 2 extra feet is better than 2 feet too short...

May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
Hi all. Just saw this old post and I’m planning to do the same. On my 356 the hos disappears between the ‘step’ at the base of the head and the bulkhead forward of the rear mattress where the hose disappears into an inaccessible cavity. Was the area below a problem while changing the hose?
Is there any technique to getting it to the head area? Thanks.

Mar 20, 2004
read my post above about using a coupler to fish the new hose thru. the biggest issue is they used ty-raps to secure the hose going aft and then across the stern. You have to find and cut all of them. get the tank as empty as possible, flush, and repeat. I used plastic sheeting and duct tape under everything at the tank end to catch any spills, and a home depot bucket vac (a wet/dry top for a 5 gal pail)for cleanup - only about $25 and you can throw it away afterwards ;-)

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Lots of good advice from Chuck. I used his suggestions when I did mine last year. The coupler worked great to attach the old with the new and feed it through. I would note I didn't have as much of an issue with zip-ties on mine. The only ones I needed to cut were readily accessible -- no hidden ones anywhere.

May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
Thanks. As it turns out I was able to clear the issue with low strength muratic quick soak.