Sanibel 18 Gaff Rigging Help

Padder

Oct 2, 2020
Captiva Yachts Sanibel 18 North Bay
My first post so bear with me. Lots of good information and helpful folks on this forum so thanks in advance.
I bought a 1988 Sanibel 18 last fall the day before the snow flew and didn't get a chance to put it together till this spring. It is a gaff rig and came with the gaff spar and assorted hardware that appears to belong to this type of rigging. Need some help in rigging this if anyone can.
I looked online and saw a lot of Sanibel photos but none that appeared to have a gaff rig, just common bermuda rigs.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Show us what you've got and we may be able to tell you how to assemble it and what's missing, if anything.

Padder

Oct 2, 2020
I took some photos of my rig and some notes in the photos.

Attachments

Padder

Oct 2, 2020
Now when I bought the boat the owner told me it was a gaff rig and it had the spar so I didn't question it. But in reality, it may not be a normal gaff rig in that it uses the main halyard to raise the spar/sail simultaneously and the spar is not adjustable . The spar would attach to the main halyard. See photos.
IMG_20210514_1243596.jpgIMG_20210514_1244477.jpgIMG_20210514_1400199.jpgIMG_20210514_1400463.jpg
Had a sailing of buddy over and put the above together and it sort of works but the metal slugs on the main halyard "car" and gaff "car" are pretty stiff going up the sail track. As well, there are small sheaves on the cars that, in this case, don't provide any function. They are plastic and would only accept 3/16 or smaller rope I'm guessing.
I can use some fine sandpaper and silicon on the metal slugs and the track to free things up somewhat.

Last edited: