Sandy Damaged 65,000+ Pleasureboats

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcyz

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 376
The Boat Owners Association of the United States (BoatUS), the nation’s largest organization of recreational boaters, estimated on Nov. 14 that more 65,000 recreational boats were damaged or lost as a result of Hurricane Sandy. The total damage to recreational boats amounts to $650 million, the group reported, making the late-October storm the single-largest marine industry loss since BoatUS began keeping records in 1966.

http://www.thelog.com/SNW/Article/Hurricane-Sandy-Damaged-65-000--Pleasureboats

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
A significant number of boats were lost when the surge lifted the floating docks over the top of the pilings. I've seen MANY marinas with floating dock pilings lower than predictable worst-case surge. They cut them sort , often only 3-4 feet above high tide, because "they don't look right." Just pitiful.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Have a friend on Staten Island (Great Kills) who lost his house to the storm ... and is now living on his boat, one of the few undamaged in that harbor. Most of the boats in that harbor simply had their mooring pennants too short to accommodate the large surge.

I holed up in NY harbor during Hurricane Irene at Liberty Landing when coming down from 'down east' (most harbors on Eastern LIS simply 'had no room')... and with only a 10 ft. surge the floating docks went to 2 ft. of the top of the pilings. This time it was 12-14ft. surge ... that has to now be a 'complete mess'. Very sad.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Floating docks

Floating docks floating over the tops of the pilings was the cause of most of the damage in my area during Katrina. The biggest marina in my area had nearly every boat in it, all piled up in one corner. The ones that weren't in the pile, were in the parking lot, some in apt. buildings and a lot of them up on the roads. They rebuilt with non-floating docks.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Floating docks floating over the tops of the pilings was the cause of most of the damage in my area during Katrina. The biggest marina in my area had nearly every boat in it, all piled up in one corner. The ones that weren't in the pile, were in the parking lot, some in apt. buildings and a lot of them up on the roads. They rebuilt with non-floating docks.
I went through an 8-foot surge once; the tops of the pilings went under water, but since we were all tied up criss-cross, no harm, just looked funny. A nearby marina with floating docks was less funny. Some floated off. Some just got destroyed by the up-and-down motion. While they are nice on a fair day, in my limited expereince floating docks are not a good storm structure.

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
Seeing that number in print really puts a fine point on it for me. Until then I 'knew' that 'many' boats had been lost or damaged, but had no idea that the loss was of that magnitude.

I have great sympathy for those affected, in any way. :(

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have an uncle who keeps his boat in the Salt Ponds in Hampton, VA. The floating docks were well designed to support a very large storm surge. I am impressed with this dock and they have been through many storms with very little damage to boats. etc.

It seems foolish to cut the pile ons short. I would want a lot of extra money in the bank if I was building a dock.

It is sad to hear about how much damage Sandy caused. I feel bad for all the people who were affected by this horrible storm.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
The numbers are mind boggling. Truly an awful event.

What happens to 65,000 wrecked boats?

Are they just bull dozed under? Landfilled?

Does a hurricane create a buyers market for parts?

What happens to owners of 65,000 wrecked boats.....gawd

Jun 14, 2011
Hunter 22 Fin Keel Lake Martin
not all 65,000 are wrecked. That number is also for damaged. Scuffed paint, broken windows, cleats pulled out, crap like that.

Anything that generated an insurance claim would go into that total.

xcyz

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 376
Funny thing was, I didn't even think the east coast had 65,000 boats. We ALL know the best sailing is out on the west coast...

Crap, did I say that out loud?

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I'm guessing that sites like eBay and craigslist will be full of "Sandy" boats once the salvage companies get done. Many will be repaired but thousands more will become fixer uppers for a lot of us.

Feb 8, 2012
macgegor 26D-26X lake Erie
Funny thing was, I didn't even think the east coast had 65,000 boats. We ALL know the best sailing is out on the west coast...
i would like to see the statistic on that.?
The best sailing is on the west coast..??
but I think there are more people on the East Coast.

The best sailing is anywhere you can hoist your sails.
I had some of my best sailing days on the Ohio river 150 miles from the great lakes, 350 miles from the Atlantic ocean, 550 miles from he Gulf, and 1600 miles from the pacific ocean.

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
The biggest impact will be on marine insurance rates. :cry:

If I was younger and a bit more mercenary, I would start hunting for a "Sandy" boat-buying opportunity.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I've been thinking about that for a week now. No clear idea on how exactly to pursue this, but I'm needing another hill project...

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
I'm wondering what impact all of this will have on used boat prices in my immediate area.
On the one hand there should be fewer boats available that are in sail away condition which might tend to inflate prices.
On the other hand there may be more fixer upper boats available which might tend to deflate prices.
That is the 'supply' side.
On the 'demand' side there are a lot of boaters who now have no boat. This may drive up the demand for used boats and new boats alike.
What do you think?

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
So how long do you think before the potential parts market starts to become available?

I'm trying to plan for spring projects on a very modest income. If I continue to buy now will I have buyers remorse in say....May when a glut of good stuff cheap starts showing up?

what to do what to do....

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
RGDavis said:

Crap, did I say that out loud?
Isn't that were all the fruits and nuts are...;;-)

Dec 21, 2012
Oday 20 dayton
The biggest impact will be on marine insurance rates. :cry:

If I was younger and a bit more mercenary, I would start hunting for a "Sandy" boat-buying opportunity.
I did! Wife and I picked up an O'day 20' for $207.50! Sure, she needs work, but what a deal! I just wish I had more $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.