Sandy Beaches....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
We have been planning our hoped for trip to southern Florida and the Keys next fall. Like anyone who goes to a warm place that has water, laying on a sandy beach is one of our desires.

So far we have found very few sandy beaches that we could beach our Mac on or anchor by. We are aware of Carl Ross / Sandy Key south of Flamingo and one or two on the Biscayne Bay, but that is about it.

We will be sailing from Naples south on the gulf side and/or Miami south on the Atlantic side. Going south from either of those down to Key West are there any sandy beaches that are remote at all? We are very shallow draft (16-18 inches with the centerboard up) so we can get back into places. Anyone want to share their knowledge of the area either with a PM or a post.

Thanks,

Sum and Ruth

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Unfortunately you are not going to be welcome to beach your boat on any of the beaches on the east coast of Florida and especially not the Keys. The coastal beaches are inside the surf line so that would not be a good idea anyway. The beaches in the Keys are all man made and they frown upon any boats running near swimmers with a propeller. Think anchoring out in the Keys and forget the Florida mainland coast. You will find a few on the west coast inside the barrier islands. Chuck

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
And I would add that the good west coast beaches are north of Naples. In fact maybe the only beaches. South of Naples is mostly Everglades I think.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
If you like pristine white sand beaches, and no crowds, head to the Tortugas. Just 70 miles west of Key West. Should be a really nice trip in the fall. If you go before mid Sept. or so, be aware of the almost daily afternoon thundestorms. Some really beautiful white sand beaches and very few people. Some areas offlimits but lots of places to lay in the sun and not be bothered. Was there this summer, planned on two or three days there, but ended up staying a week.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
A couple of ideas

We anchored off the beach on the south side of Bahia Honda Key a year before last October. It's a gorgeous State Park, and was nearly deserted. Only a couple of other sailboats like us. No problem anchoring close enough to walk ashore that we could see.

The beach at Fort Zachory Taylor on the south side of Key West is really nice, but will have more people. The last time we swam there, it was mostly sea grass, with some brain coral toward the "Southernmost Point."

There are more beaches on the south side of the keys. Many are pulverized coral rather than sand, but are beautiful beaches nonetheless. Here is a fantastic website combining Google Earth and NOAA charts.
http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa/
You can check out beaches and water access on them.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Consider checking out the Sanibel Island are off of Fort Myers which is just a bit north of Naples. It is shallow but inside the barrier islands as Chuckbear intimated.
I have never done this area by boat but Pine Island seemed like a pretty laid back place when I was there recently. Sanibel Is. has a rather large state park on it which is largely mangrove swamps but well worth the visit. I'm not sure what kinds of anchorages are viable or do-able but you will be getting a cruising guide to the area and charts.
Sanibel is now known for it's high priced resort hotels, sandy beaches and beach combing for shells. It would be much cheaper to stay on your Mac.
There are a few places to put in on the way down to Naples (and all the high rise condos that adorn the shore) like Lover's Key state park. Fort Meyers Beach (town of) is an interesting place to check out - more like old Florida.
Naples and Marco Island are full of high rises and shopping malls. You will have plenty of wilderness to pass when you go by the Everglades.
Bring bug spray and screens.
Check out this area on Google Earth or maps.
I envy you but hope you have a great time.
My best.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i second the dry tortugas--lol ---is sooooo gorgeous....

fort myers beach was cool too--the bus is only 50 cents......and the beaches are gorgeous....destin--a bit commercial but cool....appalachacola was quaint---i like iit there--lovely and awesome local oysters....port st joe is really nice---the bay has lovely beaches---san blas point------lol lotsa places with sandy beaches--but the dry tortugas is the place....is no place to reprovision or take on water or fuel, but is awesome.........

G

Marshes

The Florida Keys are marshy. Most of the sandy beaches are man made and private. To get sandy beaches you should go North. Clearwater, Destin, Panama City, etc.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Tom Linfiesty (sp?) has an excellent "Gunk Holers Guide" to the west coast.

If you go south from Naples inside to Big Marco Pass, you will be surrounded by sandy beach. With your Mac you can probably get out into Marco Pass. You can go up the Marco River and come out in the bay at Goodland, avoiding Cape Romano and the shoals. There are a bunch of sandy shores between Goodland and Everglades City. Be very careful of Gators, Crocs, and now Boa Constrictors, the 10,000 Islands are truly wilderness. Everglades City at the Rod and Gun Club is a good stop. No sand, but a good grocery, laundry and Ace Hardware Store. South from Everglades City to Little Shark River there are also sandy beaches. There are 3 capes south of Little Shark that have sandy beaches. No sand that I know of around Flamingo at the very south end of mainland Florida, but a neat park ranger station to visit with your board up. Enjoy!! Truly a great cruising area.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Beware the no-see-ums... get the special screens for your boat.

When I was there we anchored far enough from the beach in the evening... usually in 6-10 ft...to avoid the biting gnats.

Jan 22, 2008
PS, every third Island in the 10,000 is named Rattlesnake Key. Watch where you walk.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Guys thanks for all the good advice. I'd heard that most of the beaches on the Atlantic side were man-made. Just hoping that maybe I hadn't found something.

We are going to be making a bug screen to cover the cockpit and Pop-top. I talked to a ranger this morning about leaving the trailer and tow vehicle at Flamingo and he mentioned the snakes. Due to the movies most people think there is a rattlesnake under every rock ledge where I live. I've only seen 5-6 of them in the 19 years I lived here. Saw them every summer where I lived in Wyoming. I think we are going to have to study up a little on possible water and land threats to our health. I want us to be prepared, but also don't want to be overly worried about perceived threats that aren't very likely to happen.

Bill thanks so much for the info on the beaches on the southwest side. I'll be doing a lot of google earth to look at that area. I realize what natural beaches that you do find don't have the really nice sand that we often associate with a beach. Is the sand that we will find in that area still nice enough to seek it out?

Also he told me that when in the park boundaries they didn't want to see even gray water dumping from the sink. I got the impression that if you filtered the solid particles from the sink water that the remaining water could go overboard. Anyone have any info of this aspect and how you deal with it. We don't have a holding tank, but I could see where we could set up a tank under the sink and put a "Y" valve where I could divert water from the sink into it and then filter that water overboard. What do the rest of you do?

Don't stop on suggested places to go, sand or no sand. We like to anchor out every night if possible and just use marinas to replenish.

Thanks,

Sum and Ruth

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
BTW I can't find ...."Tom Linfiesty (sp?) has an excellent "Gunk Holers Guide".

Also to make the screen we were going to get the netting from Sailrite that is suppose to work down there. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks,

Sum

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Sum The only thing I can say on the screens is to be sure they are no-see-um screens because they are so small they come right through standard screens. Chuck

Jan 22, 2008
Really really nice sand like powdered sugar comes from Destin, Panama City, Pensacola. What you will find in the 10,000 Islands and the Everglades is coarser, more like sea salt.

Rattlers and small gators are not a problem if you maintain awareness and watch where you walk. This is not high desert country. They are plentiful everywhere (lots and lots for them to eat). They will also run if they can. Give them an out and you will be fine.

Boa Constrictors and Crocodiles are exotic imports, that are breeding in the 'glades. I have no experience with them. Kayakers and Canoesist are all over the 10,000 Islands and the 'Glades. I have no reports of missing or dead. My boats have all drawn 4 ' or so. I anchor out. Come on down, cruise, enjoy.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Thanks I found it, now I have to decide it I want to spend $97 and up on it :).

Really really nice sand like powdered sugar comes from Destin, Panama City, Pensacola. What you will find in the 10,000 Islands and the Everglades is coarser, more like sea salt.

Rattlers and small gators are not a problem if you maintain awareness and watch where you walk. This is not high desert country. They are plentiful everywhere (lots and lots for them to eat). They will also run if they can. Give them an out and you will be fine.

Boa Constrictors and Crocodiles are exotic imports, that are breeding in the 'glades. I have no experience with them. Kayakers and Canoesist are all over the 10,000 Islands and the 'Glades. I have no reports of missing or dead. My boats have all drawn 4 ' or so. I anchor out. Come on down, cruise, enjoy.
I found a lot of the sand, or quasi sand, beaches you talked about. Lots of them.

I found that most rattlesnakes tend to not strike unless you actually step on them, which I haven't. Here is one that was on the road near where we were hiking......

.......and is the largest one I've seen. We also have Pygmy Rattlers here and the ranger said you have them there. Probably not quite the same. When I was 14 I was caving in Missouri and was bit by a Copperhead at the mouth of the cave. I'm still here though :).

We will be careful and we appreciate the advice.

Sum and Ruth

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
Sum,

I hope you go down the West Coast because I hope to make that trip one day and I know if you go you will type up a terrific log with pictures that I can use for planning.

Good Luck,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.