Sanding ablative bottom paint

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Remember someone somewheres talking about doing this. Seems counterintuitive.
Anyone do it?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Oh I see. I'd used mod epoxy in past, but there's soft and hard ablative.
What do peeps like in teh PNW?

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I saw a recommendation from a previous post. someone posted using a Sheetrock sander. I want to try that next year. Usually I simply sand down buildup areas that I can easily get to. With the sheetrock sander it would allow more reach without tweaking my back

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not racing here. Put on Pettit Trinidad 2 years ago. Diver says it is holding up well. Have to pull the boat, when we get permission to install a couple of thru hulls. I'll take photos and let your know.

@LeslieTroyer did his boat in SeaHawk. This was a repaint. Boat was clean when taken from the water (3 years old I think). Yard guys were impressed as they had a "light pressure wash issue". We sanded the boat with 80 grit to give the new paint something to grip too. Basically roughed the surface.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
$10 round disk palm sander and a box of 100 80-grit disks.
Actually, 2, $10 round palm sanders. Old bottom paint and ball bearings dont seem to mix

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
What's the finest grit wet/dry that'll work w/o clogging on hard ablative bottom paint?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
80 is my preference. That’s what Pettit recommends for the paint I use. I do prefer to use the net/screen style sanding disks instead of paper. Seems to clog much less and last much longer. I can sand the whole bottom with 2 or 3 of those disks.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Wait, disks? For directional longboarding fore and aft?
Oh, No, I meant for prep before painting, with a random orbital sander.

If you mean for burnishing after painting, I’ve used 400 wet for burnishing Pettit Vivid. I may have used 600 at some point too, I don’t remember.