San Juan Island Cruise 2016

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great video. Looks like fun for all your family. Where in the San Juan's were these places? Snow cave with river running through it?
Neat

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Thanks John. The fireworks were taken while in Fishermans Bay on the west side of Lopez. The monkey in the tree was in Ganges on Salt Spring Island. Camp fire at Pelican Beach on the east side of Cypress. Roche Harbor included the play ground scenes, marina, Catholic Church, Roche Harbor Lime & Cement Company. Friday Harbor was the Seal statue. White Pelicans and Blue Heron scenes shot coming north out of Swinomish Channel past the twin fixed bridges.

The other parts were taken above Granite Falls; at Robe we walked the old (1893-4) Monte Cristo railroad grade to tunnel six and five that follows the very scenic parts of the Stilliguamish River. The Ice Caves were next to Big Four, east of Robe about ten miles. We wanted to hike into the Monte Cristo town site, but ran out of time.

No pics of the bottom of East Sound, Blind Bay, Watmaugh Bay, west side San Juan Island sail looking for Orcas, or the very disturbing and lumpy sail around Iceberg Point.

Dec 25, 2000
Caterina, the little Texas dancing urchin in the video, keeps asking to come back onto the boat. She is welcome anytime.

Dec 25, 2000
Tentative plans for this coming season are slowly beginning to shape up. As mentioned in the above post Caterina wants to come up from Texas and go sailing on Grandpa's boat, Belle-Vie, again. Well, she needs to get a passport for starters. Given that her dad has about two weeks, I thought it would be best to rendezvous at False Creek in Vancouver B.C. to save on sail time. That way I could spend a few days getting up there ahead of time and wait for their arrival. The admiral can drive them to the rendezvous point and from there do a tour of capilano river park among their preferences while here.

We wanted to sail to Nanaimo a few years ago, but did not make it due to a time constraint, which was before Caterina. Now that she will hopefully have a passport we can head for some points north; Smuggler Cove, Secret Cove, then over to Nanaimo. Maybe even a stop on the way in Boho Bay on Lasqueti Island for some oysters, yum. If it's around July 1 we can spend a day at the Lasqueti Art Festival, always a hoot. After Nanaimo we can wiggle our way south to the Gulf and San Juan Islands. Lots of places they have not been before; Annette Inlet, Clam Bay, Silva Bay, Wallace Island, Pirates Cove, etc.

After they leave for Texas I suppose I could catch up with AMEE flotilla who will be heading for the Broughtons, the latest plan update. Shaping up to be a busy season with lots of sail time on the agenda. Can't wait!