San Juan 28

Feb 27, 2021
O'Day 30 Wilmington
As my wife and I continue our rather low key boat search...trying to decide on timing and stuff...I came across a San Juan 28 I'm not really familiar with these boats and honestly, I would say I'm not finding a whole lot of information about them. Can anyone share some info on these boats?

We live about 45 minutes from Little River, SC and a little over an hour from Southport, NC...so we would likely try and keep it in one of those places if possible. We have had tailorable boats in the past...a MacGregor 21 and then a Catalina 22. We do not race. Looking for something we could spend weekends on, mainly at the marina, but hopefully also on the hook now and then. I also hope we can take some 4-7 day trips now and then for vacation.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Have you done an internet seachbon "San Juan 28 sailboat" to see what data, articles, reviews and threads are out there on it?

Feb 27, 2021
O'Day 30 Wilmington
Yea, found a few things but not like I don't other boats. Thought I'd reach out and see if anyone has thoughts or opinions.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
San Juan 28 was built in Washington State. It's a pretty solid fiberglass hull. I think it weighed in around 8,600 lbs. Lead fin keel with about 6 feet of draft. The one we had was equipped with a Yanmar 12 hp diesel (single cylinder) Some are well equipped some are fairly sparse. Ours had a 6'4" headroom with a V birth followed by a head on one side and a hanging locker on the other. The salon featured seating down both sides with a drop down table between them. The galley was port and aft next to the companionway. There is a small quarter berth starboard aft of the companionway. We rebuilt our salon making a queen-size bed that is accomplished by pulling out slides from each side of the salon. this reorients the bed to be lateral, not fore-aft. Originally the bed was too narrow for us. It's a deck-stepped aluminum mast of heavy proportions. The masthead rigged jib is the largest sail and the main is smaller. There used to be quite a few used for racing. I loved the toerail as it was stout and full of holes to tie things off. One thing I didn't like is the cockpit drain was plumbed to the same through-hull as the galley drain. So if the through-hull plugged rain could flood your boat via the galley sink. Ours had no automatic bilge pump and no easy way to get a wire to the low point. Ask me if you have specific questions. Ours was from 1977