San Fransisco, Americas Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
OK you San Fransisco sailors. We will be in San Fransisco during some of the cup races and want to know where a good public vantage point to view them would be?

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
The best viewing area will be from the official location at the Marina Green. The AC72's (or the way things are going maybe it will be only one AC72) will scream by just off the shoreline. I haven't checked (because I won't be there!), but I expect an entry fee will levied. Also good vantage points will be from the Crissey Field beach and from the overlook area in the park above Fort Mason. Use can use Google Maps to orient yourself. Should be great.

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
All the coverage has been advertising that spectating from the AC village or whatever is FREE. From the looks of the videos I've been watching the shore is gonna be closer than where you can access with a boat, so that's probably the place to be.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I wonder why you would go. In my opinion, the AC has been ruined by egotistical rich boys who have nothing better to do with their money. There are now only 2 challengers racing each other to find out who is going to go after Larry and his ego. Louis Vuitton is pulling out and may sue as there are so few challengers. The comparison to auto racing is not really valid as I see it. I am an F1, IndyCar, etc fan as well. These boats don't really sail, at least in auto racing, they still drive. There is also a central sanctioning body that sets the rules, in the AC its the past winner... that is just dumb.....

Here is a great article on this once proud race.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...s-with-revolutionary-adjustments-8707350.html

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
I came because it's a spectical that's accessible on the west coast. Similar to the Indy 500 where you might drive a Honda or Toyota but you'll never drive one of those Indy cars and its still very cool.
Similar to the blue angels where you might ride a 737 once in a while or even fly a Cessna, it's not an F18 flying 18 inches from your partner.
These boats are so cutting edge and they fly by a viewing area within such easy accessibility, in free venues, that if you can spend a few days in San Fransisco watching them you'll kick yourself for missing it.

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
I wonder why you would go. In my opinion, the AC has been ruined by egotistical rich boys who have nothing better to do with their money.
And this is different from past cups how? AC has always been the playground of the ultra rich.

The comparison to auto racing is not really valid as I see it. I am an F1, IndyCar, etc fan as well. These boats don't really sail, at least in auto racing, they still drive.
Ummm, they are still powered by the wind...isn't that kind of the definition of sailing? If not, what do you think they are doing? Is it because they are fast, and using a solid "wing" instead of a fabric sail? You do realize that even the most basic sail is fundamentally a wing. Is it because they are on foils? Does that make a moth not a sail boat?

There is also a central sanctioning body that sets the rules, in the AC its the past winner... that is just dumb.....
I'll give you that. Letting the winner change the rules every time really limits how much development can be done on a particular design. One of the main reasons there are so few challengers is that there simply aren't many teams that can develop this stuff in so little time. If they were to keep the same rules for 3 or 4 cups I think it would be really amazing to see how these boats could be perfected.

Jun 29, 2010
I go to the Indy 500 every year, as I said. I think the comparison to auto racing is off. My opinion.

Yes I understand how wings and sails work.

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
I'm still wondering what you mean by "these boats dont really sail". If that's the case, what are they doing?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Well, they are both a race. You can race anything. Skis, snowboards, cafeteria trays, tractors, Indy Cars (I've been to the 500), trawlers, and just about anything else. It is the nature of Human Beings to compete, as it is for animals. Why would the means of the contestants have anything to do with the contest. Does the fact that rich men compete invalidate baseball or football?
The Cup may or may not be a success. But there is innovation going on and we are learning while testing the limits of wind power. What's wrong with that?

Jun 29, 2010
Yes, they technically sail. They sail up the course, they sail down the course. No tactics..... weee exciting.... Just not my cup of tea.

And sure, you can I guess compare this to speed trials or drag racing then if you want to use an auto racing metaphor.

As I said, I don't see the excitement in it. Others could say the same about some things I enjoy, auto racing for one. Have a good time and I hope it is all that you hope it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.