San Francisco to Oahu with a minor detour

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
My daughter, Samantha and I left Westpoint Harbor Marina in Redwood City, CA on 6/2/22 aboard our 1981 Morris Annie named Kolibri heading for Oahu. After spending one night in the Treasure Island Marina we headed out under the Bay Bridge then the Golden Gate in the early morning city light and fog. Unfortunately a few days later we found a few hatch and port light leaks due to heat wave induced caulk degradation. Being conservative we diverted to Santa Barbara for repairs. On 6/10 we started our second and successful attempt and arrived at our new home port in Haleiwa, Hawaii this morning. Along the way we had 35+ knot winds, no wind, amazing sunsets and sunrises, fresh Mahi Mahi, amazing sailing, dense fog, dolphins, whales, rainbows, flying fish & small squid in the cockpit, a few days of really bumpy & crappy sailing due to swells from multiple directions & flukey winds, a few bumps & bruises, and most importantly - an incredible adventure. We are now safe and at home having a BBQ party tonight with our wonderful family and friends.

IMG_4609 copy.jpg
IMG_4742 copy.jpg
IMG_4837 copy.jpg
IMG_4878 copy.jpg
IMG_4959 copy.jpg
IMG_4963 copy.jpg
IMG_6081.jpg
IMG_8596 copy.jpg
IMG_9407 copy.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on your successful cruise.

Looks like it was an enjoyable adventure.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
congrats! was thinking of you all. the pictures are great. thanks for sharing.

jon

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
so what do you think of your boat now? i do like it's looks. i think we all do.

did it perform as you hoped?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Conrgats, Phil! Sounds like it was quite an adventure. Best wishes to you and your daughter.

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
Tremendous to be able to share such an adventure with your child, and just the two of you.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
That looks like a lovely boat. It must have been a great trip. Well done!

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
so what do you think of your boat now? i do like it's looks. i think we all do.

did it perform as you hoped?
Overall I was blown away with the performance of our boat. During our diversion into Santa Barbara we had constant 25 knot winds with periods of up to 35 knots. We initially had 3 reefs in the main and the storm staysail up, but as the gusty periods cranked up we switched to using only the storm staysail. The boat and Monitor Windvane handled the conditions like they were no big deal. During less stressful portions of the trip we regularly had days where we covered 140 to 150 nmi in a 24 hr period. Not bad for a 30ft, full keel boat.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Kudos to you both! And, those are outstanding photos.
Thank you. We will be posting more photos to our Instagram page over the next few weeks as we slowly adjust to life on land. instagram.com/sailing_kolibri