Salvaging Sunken Boat

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Raising boats is kind of an art. Using bladders is the current method used by pros, but you'll be hard pressed to find a bladder cheaply for a one time use.

This is a very difficult job for a novice and you'd probably be better served hiring a professional. At least you may be able to negotiate a price that would be more favorable than just getting the bill from the authorities.

I was about to write out how I've raised boats in the past but I think it's far too dangerous for a novice to attempt. Get a pro. You have to understand currents, tides, local conditions and flotation, scuba, compressors, structures and more.

dj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
When a tornado tore thru Cutchogue Harbor, on LI's North Fork, about 6 boats on moorings sank.
Locals raised several by towing them. They were only in 10' or so of water so the rigging was visible. If I remember the boats raised that way were centerboard boats. But for those it worked. Not sure of how they pumped them out after they got them on the surface. Nothing high tech. Just pumps.
When we had a boat sink in Gardiner's Bay during a race the salvagers used the airbags technique. First they had to find it, although they knew almost exactly where it sank. But currents can move them quite a bit. So they dragged a line between two boats on the surface with weight on it to keep it submerged. When it snagged they sent a diver down. He confirmed that it snagged on a sailboat sitting upright on the bottom. From there they could re-float it. The boat was an Alerion Express 28 which had some value and was insured. It was restored and still sails today. It wasn't a DIY operation. As far as I know insurance paid for the salvage and restoration. But the owner wasn't without resources.