Salvage

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 34 Augusta Sailing Club
I am looking at salvaging my boat. Does anyone have an idea of how to go about that?
Thanks in Advance.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Another option is if it is in any kinda decent condition you could donate it to a charity. OR just sell it for cheap. Someone will buy it if it floats.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If it has literally no value to you, and you therefore don't care how it goes away, both of the suggestions above will work. IMO, there are ethical issues regarding the first option, but it does happen a lot.

Let's elaborate on each suggestion. Lots of marinas have derelict boats, and most every dockmaster has a salvager he calls when he takes possession of a boat for non-payment of slip fees. There are two ways these transactions occur. Both methods occur after the marina has taken legal possession of the boat, and can sign the title over to the salvager. The first is that the boat has some value to the salvager (lead in the keel, other scrap metal, sellable equipment, parts, etc), so he takes the boat off the hands of the marina for no cost. The second is that the totality of circumstances (the boat's condition, difficulty in moving the boat, lack of significant value to the salvager, etc.) dictate that the salvager be paid (by the marina) to take the boat away. This is called a compensated removal. This may seem odd, but the win for the marina is that the slip starts generating revenue again, and a derelict boat is not "ruining" the marina neighborhood. If you want to be proactive and have some control over the removal of your boat, you could ask your dockmaster (or other local dockmasters) who they call when they need a boat removed for non-payment of fees, and contact that salvager. If no one has any contact recommendations, check Craigslist for a "We buy ugly boats" kind of post.

Charitable donations are a good possibility. You've probably seen or heard advertisements from public/community radio and TV stations that accept vehicle donations. The "recipients" usually have a vendor that handles everything, whether you donate a car, boat, RV, off-road toy, airplane, or whatever. That vendor actually takes legal possession of the vehicle (you do have your title, don't you?), makes arrangements for its sale, and the proceeds go to the charity, minus any fees the vendors are paid for their work. (Remember, this is a business for said vendor). The process is usually pretty easy for the donor. Note however, that the market for boats is not the same as for cars (there is not a wholesale auction every week in every county), and the vendor may decide for a variety of reasons that they can't accept the boat because it won't sell. In that case, if that vendor doesn't also have a salvager on its team, they may decline the donation entirely, and you would be back to square one.

There are other options for charities. The one I like to consider first in my area is my club's Sea Scout program. A strong program will have both scouts and leaders in it that know boats, have (or are developing) the skills needed to repair boats, and the sale of a boat that they decide not to keep after refit helps fund the ongoing efforts of the chapter. It's worth considering. A 34 might be a welcome addition to a fleet, because at gatherings, it can sleep a lot of scouts.

I hope this helps. If you want more information or ideas, send me a PM with your phone number and I will call you.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
You should be able to find a yard or marine parts place that will take a boat away, either free or for a small fee. For example, in the Boston area here;s one

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I am looking at salvaging my boat.
You would only get about 10% of the current average Market Price.

Most likely a Salvage Company would just take it off your hands, unless close by a Salvage Yard.
Jim...

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Put an ad on Craig's List for a "free" boat. It should go in a few days.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Put an ad on Craig's List for a "free" boat. It should go in a few days.
:plus:

I have gotten so many people to haul off my junk simply by putting it in the "free" section of Craigs List.

Actually just yesterday! A guy came and hauled off my broken washing machine. Not joking.:cool:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
If it has literally no value to you, and you therefore don't care how it goes away, both of the suggestions above will work. IMO, there are ethical issues regarding the first option, but it does happen a lot.
That was a joke.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago

I have gotten so many people to haul of my junk simply by putting it in the "free" section of Craigs List.

Actually just yesterday! A guy came and hauled off my broken washing machine. Not joking.:cool:
I got rid of a Force 5 this way. Only catch was they had to provide 30 min of labor to help me move. Worked out great!

• Ha
Sep 22, 2018
Thanks eveyone. I guess I should have specified that this is a 1985 Hunter 34. They will need to bring a way to haul it off. We are replacing it with another boat and need to get it out of our slip. There are quite a few items of value on the boat, decent sails, a roller furler, diesel engine and even the winches have some value. Heck, if the boat sank tomorrow it would be worth considerable money.

So here is the story. We bought the boat in 1998 and sailed it often until a motor problem in 2010. We got the motor fixed and then the wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, new job and 70-90hrs per week and the boat sat and sat and sat. I finally retire and go up and there is no power on the boat. Not sure if the charger inverter took a hit and fried stuff but the boat had a LOT of water in the bilge. I hooked up and extension cord and proceeded to suck the water out, but the boat floor and bottoms of the cabinets are ruined. Estimated cost to make it sailable is about $15000 if I have someone do it. Time is precious as the wife was again diagnosed with breast cancer, so I bought another boat. If I could get $2000-$2500 for the boat I would be extactic. But I am realistic... So salvage or try to sell it at the club we are members of, that is the question.

Sep 22, 2018
FYI, my understanding is that the IRS is beyond wise to boat (or anything) donations, and the tax deduction value of any such donation is limited to what the charity sells it for.
I do taxes on the side and you are 100% correct.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

I have gotten so many people to haul off my junk simply by putting it in the "free" section of Craigs List.

Did it again this weekend. I am updating a kitchen and pulled out all of the old cabinets... post the cabinets on the free section of craig's list and had four people texting me to come get them within an hour. Craig's List = Free Hauling and Junk removal.