SALT TO FRESH?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I already have a threaded hose fitting just after the thru-hull for winterizing. Flushing from that point would certainly aid in reducing the progression of corrosion.
This is why I enjoy brainstorming.
Keep brainstorming. I betcha Peggie is gonna say something about your idea here. Cross-connecting the sea water with potable water, that is.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
While we only sail in FW that is a good idea expressed here, flushing cycle for engine secondary cooling loop with fresh water and somewhat easily implemented.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Merry Christmas @rpell1@msn.com ! Maybe a fresh water flush at the end of day, much like flushing an OB, to eliminate salt water sitting in the system. I imagine that would reduce the potential for salt water corrosion.
Before shutting down the engine turn a valve to switch the intake water from salt to your fresh water tank. Run 6 gallons to flush out the salt. Not much different than washing the salt off your boat with a hose as the end of a sail.
I did something like this on my boat. A three way valve mounted on the raw water strainer, with a hose that reaches the bilge. It will winterize the engine by dumping antifreeze in the bilge, or flush the engine by dumping fresh water in the bilge, or it acts as an emergency bilge pump.

Dec 12, 2018
Catalina 30 Philadelphia
I do not have a universal so am not certain this applies, but I would ensure to leave the engine running while flushing with fresh water. If you flush while the engine is not running, you could run the risk of forcing water back up the exhaust and into the cylinders.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@rpell1@msn.com
I was looking at this Marelon seacock brochure
https://www.defender.com/pdf/503762_BROCH_DIMS.pdf
and on page 13 it has a seacock made specifically for allowing you to flush your engine with fresh water.
As @anchor1800 and others have said, you just have to be careful putting pressurized water into your engine intake. I think I would hook it up to my on board fresh water before the pressure pump.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
...could use the same technique I use when winterizing by putting fresh water in a bucket and sucking it through by running the engine.