salon cushions

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
We are about to replace our interior boat cushions. We have an IP 31 and live aboard. We sleep in the V birth and will be replacing those cushions too. I would like to get some advice from those who have replaced their interior cushions regarding fabric type and foam type. I was thinking that they need to be washable, if nothing else just to be able to get the salt out of them every now and then.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We wound up buying new foam online. It was WAY cheaper than local sources. Foam used to be cheap. Not any more. We went with dacron wrapped foam. It makes it much more comfortable to be against. It doesn't feel like plastic, but more like furniture at home. We also went with a bit more dense foam. Then when we got it the way we like it, we sold that boat.

Ken

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
are you doing the work or are you going to have it done by a pro if by a pro plan on 2500.00 to 3500.00 if you are doing the work you can get out for about 1000.00

it all depends on whether you are replacing the foam

if having it done by someone else look at samples or their work and get hard fixed pricing quotes

this part of boat work is the most expensive part in my book except repowering
battery systems can be expensive if you have it all done at one time ...there is a lot to battery systems but they can be done in stages so it makes it less painful

happy hunting

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
Emergpa1,

You might want to look at how we did our boat. Did a short Youtube video on it at;
https://youtu.be/0Vi-zYayYog
NOTE; It's in 3D but you can turn that off in the options.

You might consider Latex mattress foam. It has holes in it to vent and is comfortable, but higher cost and a limited life aboard (maybe 5 years or so).

Just some ideas

Greg

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
I had salon cushions replaced by a local shop. We went with vinyl rather than cloth, because because of dogs, grandchildren, sloppy guests, etc. Used Nauga Soft vinyl. It has a very nice leather feel, and stain resistance. Cleans up with water only. About $2K for the salon.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Nauga Soft Vinyl...Hmmmmm

I had salon cushions replaced by a local shop. We went with vinyl rather than cloth, because because of dogs, grandchildren, sloppy guests, etc. Used Nauga Soft vinyl. It has a very nice leather feel, and stain resistance. Cleans up with water only. About $2K for the salon.
Now that's an interesting idea. Would you mind posting a photo of a cushion? Thanks.
Dan