Sails up at the dock ?

May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair
I'm new so this may seem like a silly question. Can I raise the sail for a short period while I am tied to the dock in light wind? Can I let the head sail out while I am at the dock? For example let's say the wind is 5 knots and I want to unfurl my head sail to make sure it's all the way up and also to make sure the halyard is tight. Or perhaps I want to raise the main so I can flake the sail properly. I assume if all the sheets are loose and the sails are fluttering in the light wind this should be possible. Thoughts?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Can I raise the sail for a short period while I am tied to the dock in light wind? Can I let the head sail out while I am at the dock? For example let's say the wind is 5 knots and I want to unfurl my head sail to make sure it's all the way up and also to make sure the halyard is tight. Or perhaps I want to raise the main so I can flake the sail properly. I assume if all the sheets are loose and the sails are fluttering in the light wind this should be possible.
Yes

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Raising sails at the dock is fine (within reason).

What you don't want to do is raise sails on the trailer or on the hard which can be very dangerous. Also, if you have water ballast, don't raise sails without your ballast tanks full.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Yes. At least twice a year I must deploy the jib at the dock, once to install the sail onto the furler, second to remove it from the furling system. Light air is good.

FWIW, you dont really need to raise the main to properly flake the sail, fix the luff folds by hand, then flake the leech.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Yes. Use your best judgement. Pull up a little at a time if you think the winds might be a little higher than 5kts. I motored into my slip with my main up a couple of days ago. The lake was a bit angry to hop on deck to drop the main. By the time we got into the harbor, the winds had died down enough that there wasn't any noticeable windage from the main

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Yes…

Make sure you are tied up well, and pick a day/time with light winds. Helpful if the wind is off the bow.

Here I am checking out my new mainsail after bending it on for the first time.

IMG_0859.jpeg

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You will be among the many sailors that raised sails while tied in their slip.

Use you head. No wind to very light wind. Sails will grab the wind and either flog (bad on sails and all that get hit by the flogging sail) or do what they are supposed to do, use the wind to move the boat.

Bow in to the wind prevents the boat movement. You have less to worry about. Just the flogging.

You can also raise / lower / or adjust the sails while out on the water away from the dock. That is how most sails are played with. It is easy to turn the boat into the wind and raise/lower/ or adjust the sail. When happy just turn off the wind and go sailing.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Yes…

Make sure you are tied up well, and pick a day/time with light winds. Helpful if the wind is off the bow.

Here I am checking out my new mainsail after bending it on for the first time.

View attachment 219137

Greg
Looks good! I got a new main on my 322 this year as well. Went with One Sail, the only local loft still here on Long Island, NY.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
When the wind is off the bow too much, more than 70to 90 degrees, I move the boat to an area on the other side of the fairway which is clear boats and tie the bow to a piling and allow the boat swing so the wind is in the bow. Then hoist the main or unfurl the jib.
In very light air it's not an issue.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Looks good! I got a new main on my 322 this year as well. Went with One Sail, the only local loft still here on Long Island, NY.
The main was replaced about 2 seasons ago…when I tore the (I think) original main across a batten pocket doing a controlled (or at least I though5 so) jibe in some nasty winds. I added the Tides Marine Strong track at the same time.

This winter, I ordered a new 135 jib from a North Sail to match the main. I went down from a 155 that I had to reef much of the time… 135 can be flown full out most of the time.

Greg