Sails and Stack Packs

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 275 15 Bellevue, WA
Hey there team,

I think I almost own Hull #16. Does anyone know what brand sails these boats shipped with? Also, have any of you ever installed a stackpack on a C275?

Thanks

May 12, 2020
Catalina 275 Sport 31 Quincy Bay
Congrats on your purchase! You'll love the boat. My C275 (Hull #31) came with Doyle sails but I'm not sure they are standard. I did not install a stackpack but did install lazy jacks. They have been great - purchased them from Sailrite.

Mar 11, 2014
Congrats... I own Number 34, a 2017, in Charleston. I'm the second owner. The original owner acquired the sails on their own so don't know what the standard brand is. Funny thing was the PO was told he'd get hull 31 so he had the original sails made with that hull number on them... That's how I know they weren't from Catalina as he was shipped hull 34... My new sails have the right number on them. I've had Stack Packs on two of my 5 catalina's, plus one doyle and now a custom pack that is more like a stack pack with out the rivets to capture the Lazy Jacks. In stead this version has clips that attach to rings on the lazy jacks. This makes removing the pack a few minute project vs major surgery for the Jacks as all I need to do now is disconnect the clips and the jack remain and are separated from the cover...
Best of luck!

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 275 15 Bellevue, WA
I got in touch with Doyle. There are two options, a true stackpack and a cover they can add it an existing sail.

I think I am going to go for a true stackpack.

Fun fact: I learned that Doyle invented the stackpack.

Mike

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sail packs seem to attract nesting birds every Spring here. They don't seem to close up completely. Once in a while, when we get heavy winds, someone's main gets pulled out of the cover and flails in the wind. Hopefully Doyle works better.

Mar 11, 2014
Avoid the style with the fiberglass poles in the top of each side. Very hard to remove and fold down when you're so inclined

Jul 1, 2023
Catalina 275 Riverton
Hey folks. I'm new to the forum. Bought hull 33 last year. I love it. Easy to single hand, with a reef, even in 20 plus knot winds. Mine (Minx) came with a stack pack (all Doyle sails). On the plus side it is easy to reef (no cringles) or drop the sail, just goes right into the stack pack. On the minus side, a pain to raise - you need to be dead into the wind or the battens get caught in the lazy jacks

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Loosen the jacks on one side while hoisting - should give you a wider slot to get the battens through. Welcome to the forum! :beer:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yep. that's the issue with lazyjacks. Not so with the Dutchman system. As advised, ease them a bit and it should help.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Avoid the style with the fiberglass poles in the top of each side. Very hard to remove and fold down when you're so inclined
This is not true. My wife designed our sail pack and it has full length top edge battens and I roll it up and stow it along each side of the boom with built in sail ties every time I hoist the sail.
Pap-Pak underway.jpg

Pap-Pak.png

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
to hoist the sail from my roll-up pac, set the autopilot to hold the boat on a heading of about 10º apparent. I loosen the windward side a bit to form a troght and push the sail into it. Then I lower and roll the leeward side which gets all of the jacklines out of the way so that they will not hangup on the battens and hoist the sail. Once the sail is up, I drop and roll the windward side.
To drop the sail, I raise both sides to the correct height which is marked with a line around the halyard at the cleat and drop the sail into it and zip up.