Sailor Rescued 200 Miles off Jersey Coast

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
The sailor, who was not identified, was on a solo voyage on a 25 foot sailboat, named Serena, from North Carolina to New York, when it was swamped by high waves in a storm, causing an electrical fire that damaged its communications equipment and caused a leak. Alone on the open ocean 200 miles southeast of the Cape May peninsula, tossed by waves and pelted with wind-driven rain, the sailor put out a distress call on the VHF-FM radio channel 16. The signal was picked up by the tanker crew, which spotted dark smoke coming from the hobbled sailboat about two miles away. This sailor was lucky that someone heard his distress call since he was so far out in the open ocean. This incident demonstrates the need for proper safety equipment, amongst which are a registered EPIRB and life raft. Apparently the sailor was not sailing with either of these 2 safety equipment.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Lucky story in more ways than one. To have someone within range of a vhf radio broadcasting from a 25’ boat when they’re 200 miles offshore is lucky. To have a LNG tanker captain willing to approach and stand by a boat on fire is luckier still.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Wow, what a nightmare for the tanker's crew, re; quarantine. I guess they have to isolate him in a cabin and go through a whole bunch of hassles to keep him fed, etc.
Another captain may not have wanted to bring a typhoid Mary aboard his ship these days. I'd count this guy extremely lucky. I wonder if the whole problem began because he didn't close the companionway hatch when the weather kicked up a bit?
This is a prime example of why going sailing is not a good idea in this pandemic. Any mistake or breakdown could lead to someone contracting the disease. There are plenty of non-symptomatic, untested carriers out there. Anybody you meet could be one. Or, you could be one!
Did anybody read where the ship was heading? If this guy isn't a citizen of the country the ship is going to dock in, he could be refused entry and the ship will have to keep him aboard until a method of repatriating this guy becomes available, or they take him home. With few planes flying, that could be quite some time. In the '80s, when I was running freighters, if we picked up Cuban or Haitian raft/boat people on the way back to Fla, we were required to repatriate them as they were not allowed to land in the US. This cost the companies beaucoup dollars and they really didn't appreciate it at all. Kinda put the captain between a rock and a hard spot. Do the right thing and either lose your job, or pay the costs out of your own pocket. Rich ship owners suck!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Capta, a coast guard rescue helicopter picked the sailor up while the tanker stood by.
That could be even more inconvenient if they won't let the chopper land after possible exposure. Imagine, circling the CG base for two weeks while you quarantine.
Sorry, I know that's ridiculous. There's no way they have enough toilet paper on board.
Maybe they just leave him hanging six feet below the helicopter all the way home.

These guys are not practicing the six foot rule

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'm more than a little curious why they say high seas caused an electrical fire. Chafe on unprotected wires causing a short? It seems very lucky to be rescued. I know that I wouldn't have the nerve to be 200 miles offshore NJ in a 25' boat without rescue gear in April. We've had some extremely high winds blow thru lately.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Uh.... the coast guard and the mariner's creed precludes making a subjective decision on whether to offer assistance. If someone needs assistance at sea you don't ask him "what are you doing out here in a 25 foot boat?" It is unlawful not to offer assistance. If could simply mean standing by, tossing someone a pfd and waiting for folks in protective gear to show up... but you don't say "Sorry, social distancing requires that I ignore your SOS"

For what it's worth, here's another reason we need to put all effort into developing a quick, diy test kit for covid 19 etc.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
For what it's worth, here's another reason we need to put all effort into developing a quick, diy test kit for covid 19 etc.
Or better yet, people should stop disregarding the instructions to stay at home and go for an ill conceived sail (any sail, actually) at this time, don't you think?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Or better yet, people should stop disregarding the instructions to stay at home and go for an ill conceived sail (any sail, actually) at this time, don't you think?
No. Your reaction seems a bit over the top, imho. He was social distancing and things went wrong. People who stay home have house fires, slips, falls etc. and still need assistance.
I’m wondering why he was 200 miles off NJ on a trip from NC to NY? I think he was way off course, even if he was headed for Montauk (worse if headed for NY Harbor). This raises a question about judgment in general. He should have been MUCH closer to shore, maybe hugging the coast with that tiny boat, within range of safe harbors and paying attention to forecasts.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't have to tell anyone here that March & April are bad months for sailing on the ocean off the Eastern Seaboard. What was that guy doing out there? For all we know he might be an accomplished sailor on a well found boat. But "Ill conceived" is a kind description. Maybe desperate describes this voyage.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Sea water does not start a DC electrical fire. I've been involved with multiple boat sinking recovery/salvages and have yet to see a wet DC electrical system be the cause of a fire.

Sloppy wiring, a lack of proper over-current protection and not following accepted safety standards is what typically starts boat electrical fires.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
He was trying to brew a pot of coffee at the time and the hot burner fell out of the stove?

The batteries came loose and the terminals shorted on a Bic fire stick?

The electronic sat nav slid across the cockpit and triggered the flairgun into the cabin?

-Will (Dragonfly)

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
No. Your reaction seems a bit over the top, imho. He was social distancing and things went wrong. People who stay home have house fires, slips, falls etc. and still need assistance.
I’m wondering why he was 200 miles off NJ on a trip from NC to NY? I think he was way off course, even if he was headed for Montauk (worse if headed for NY Harbor). This raises a question about judgment in general. He should have been MUCH closer to shore, maybe hugging the coast with that tiny boat, within range of safe harbors and paying attention to forecasts.
Doesn’t make sense. Social distancing is not going off for a cruise to NYC by yourself in the middle of a pandemic. Social distancing is staying at home and away from other people This guy was not at home lighting his house on fire with a cigarette so that local firemen could come put it out. He purposely went out sailing and then got into trouble that he was ill-prepared for 200 miles from shore, and required a helicopter rescue. It’s a lot like the snowboarder who was out “doing his own thing” ,"social distancing by himself” who set off and got caught in an avalanche. (Article in the New York Times perhaps a week or so ago.) 30 people had to get together to coordinate the rescue - including helicopters. 30 people who could have stayed safe at home if this one guy had done the same. This one sailor guy is VERY lucky that there happened to be a ship within his vhf radio range (can’t be too much with a 25’ boat). If the LNG tanker found him by following the smoke in such nasty conditions that the helicopter crew had him jump in the water to avoid tangling the rigging, his boat was going to be toast - literally - and him with it. Bad judgement? Yes. Bad judgement to set out with harbors closed all up the coast. Bad judgement to set out without waiting for a weather window. Bad judgement to set out in a small boat. Bad judgement to have a setup that leads to an electrical fire. Bad judgement to go so far offshore. Bad in general.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Oh for heavens sake, why is everything a COVID issue? Mistakes were made, but that is WAY down the list.

What Mainesial said, compounded by known and unknown shortcuts. Just a dangerous situation.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
There's nothing like heavy seas to loosen poorly bundled wires or cables to chafe through to a dead short or burn on a hot exhaust.

No fuse, you lose.

Fire hulk2.jpg

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I once watched a large truck catch on fire, hours after the driver left for the day. The truck was just partked. A battery cable chafed, right next to a fuel line, the fuel line started to leak, and it was within moments of getting really ugly.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
200 miles amounts to pretty good social distancing