SailNet Customer Service problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Balt/Annapolis/New Bern
Phil...

are you saying the Boyles still own it? Or by "group" are you saying the subseqent owners? I too thought they sold out a couple of years ago too, and in fact, moved the operation from Charleston, SC.

S

Sam

Are they long for the world?

I've spent a fortune at SailNet over the years, and they have definitely changed. When the Boyles left, the prices increased and, from what folks here say, the service has deteriorated badly. With all the options available on the web, that's a recipe for disaster. They're now running a 30% off "Inventory Reduction Sale," but it looks a lot more like a going out of business sale.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
Very helpful

I guess I won't be ordering from Sailnet anymore. I bought an outboard from Sailnet a couple of years ago. I bought by phone, and they couldn't have been more helpful: waived the shipping fee and even arranged for a scheduled delivery! However, I almost always like to go into the store itself to buy stuff. My local BoatUS store has a very knowledgeable and helpful staff (which is funny because the WestMarine store one town over seems to rely on teenagers whose expertise is, ahem, limited). I can also give a big thumbs up to Defender. I recently ordered a new laminated tiller over the internet from them; even with tax and shipping charges, it was half the list price of the same item from West Marine. Arrived at my house two days later. Also, props to this site's chandlery. Ordered some hatch screens over the phone; a very helpful and knowledgable staff. Competitive prices too.

May 17, 2005
Catalina 250 New York, NY
5 Weeks Wait for "In Stock" Items

I ordered new docklines earlier this year for an emergency situation (moved to a rough marina). On the Sailnet website the lines I needed were listed as "In Stock", so I placed my order with overnight shipping. Long story short, lines not in stock, 6 weeks later I get them, and still have to foot the bill for FedEx. Never again. I'll stick with Defender, or when I need the odd part or something, just pop into West Marine or BoatUS.

P

Phil

Don s/v Tellico

To my knowledge, the ownership structure changed some years ago (around the time they were running big color ads in the sailing mags, etc.). I don't believe it has changed significantly since, although I certainly don't know any details. My point is that when Sam left it was not an ownership change so much as a management change.

D

Drew

Hey Phil

Mistakes do indeed happen and I always give people a second or third chance. The people at Sailnet have always been nice to deal with -the company simply is not reliable in my experience. As far as "time of year" goes, everybody involved in a seasonal business knows it, and plans (or should plan) accordingly. You can't survive selling skis only in April or sun screen only in November, when demand is low and customer service is therefor more convenient. So it goes....

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 36 Bristol, RI
I am having problems as well

I ordered a Magma BBQ grill from Sailnet during their internet sale. I received other items from my order but not the BBQ. I have tried contacting both Customer Support and Sales and neither are accepting calls at this point. I have contacted my credit card company to cancel payment for the unshipped item. This seems so uncharacteristic to my previous dealings with Sailnet. My last order in April came and a couple of pieces where missing from a set. One call took care of the whole matter. From now on, I will be using Defender rather than Sailnet for my mail-order needs. Les Murray s/v Ceilidh C-36 #560

May 10, 2004
Catalina 30 Puget Sound
Me Too

Ordered a navigation station light in April. Reordered in May. Found it on close-out in June. Reordered and the light is supossed to be here today. Not!! What a joke. Never again will I use Sailnet.

Feb 15, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Balt/Annapolis/New Bern
Sure sounds like it's the end of em....

but I've had some nightmares with Defender too on drop ship items...in fact I haven't bought from them since, although I know they have a good reputation.

Feb 2, 2005
- - Huntsville, AL
I'll jump on board!

1st order...took a LOOOOONG time, but it arrived. 2nd order...did not come complete, took a LOOOOONG time to fill rest of order. 3rd order...item did not arrive as described, been unable to reach anyone to arange a return. Bye Bye Sailnet!

May 10, 2004
Catalina 30 Puget Sound
Sailnet----Another Screw Up

Yup, after three months, I finally received my navigaation station light. Only problem is, I ordered brass and received stainless. Geez!! I'm wish I had originally purchased it at Worst Marine at the inflated price.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
I just sent them our thread link and said that we

thought they were going out of business. I'll advise IF they reply.

J

Jay

Before I read this thread...

...I was starting to wonder. I placed an order a while ago for a couple of life jackets, and heard nothing. I just checked the site, and it says "in processing". What does that mean? When I order online, I expect to be informed ahead of time if the item is in stock or not. If in stock, I expect it to ship in a few days. If not, I'd like to know, so that I can order or not, as I choose. I have ordered several times over the past few years from sailnet, and have always been quite happy with their service. But no: I don't think it is acceptable to be left hanging for weeks on end with no idea what's going on. This isn't what I've come to expect from most online retailers, and I won't put up with it in general. If this situation isn't cleared up soon (in response to my email to customer service), I won't order from them again.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Sail Net

I believe Phil is mistaken. The Boyles now own/operate Sail Jazz...they left Sail Net quite a while back. This link for Sail Jazz lists it as "The Boyle Company": http://www.sailjazz.com/

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
The Boyles

I recieved an email from Sam back in December when the change at SailNet took place, He wanted to explain why he and Cheryl were leaving SailNet, yesterday I sent an email to them and here is Cheryl's responce to me. I'm sure she won't mind the posting. Ken, SN was not sold. We had outside investors who exercised their majority control to replace both Sam and I. Since then we've had no involvement with SN. If you're a member of the community then I would suggest moving over to SJ as a precaution. Outward appearances at SN do not look good and it seems they may be closing up shop. Regards, Cheryl I like the rest of you have spent a lot of money at SailNet, and like most I had a horrible experience this past spring with the folks that replaced Sam & Cheryl. I hope that once this is over they can once again begin to supply us with the fantastic service we all recieved when they were at the helm. Good luck to the both of them and I hope all knows the neither of them are to blame for current troubles at SailNet.

T

The Mick

i don't know

there were a lot of horror storeis when sam was there too. the people who worked there hated it even then. i think this has been coming for along time

G

Gary

I'm hopeless.....

After reading this post I checked out the sailnet site just to see for myself what was going on. Happened to look at their price on a Seaward water heater for which I've been shopping and their price was $182! And that's the SS model! You guessed it.....I placed the order. I know....I'm an idiot, I just couldn't resist saving this much, even to the point of risking problems. If there's a long wait, that's ok....if they go defunct with my $, I'll be bawling like a baby. Wish me luck

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
I called customer service yesterday afternoon.

No one picked-up and the voice mail box was full. Gary, if you have on-line banking did you check to see if they dinged you credit card? If not, would you call your CC company to check and report back to us?

Status
Not open for further replies.