SailNet Customer Service problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Apparently copyrights mean nothing to some people

That article was copyrighted by the Charleston Post Courier...copy/pasting it here instead of just providing a link to it on their site is a violation of that copyright.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Good point, Peggie

The post has been removed. If you want to read it please use the link in the reply below. ph.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Check out Sailnets new cover page

They have posted a new cover page. I am still in hope they pull through whatever is going on. r.w.landau

Jun 4, 2004
- - Keel-N-Time
Got an e-mail from SailNet...

...but it was apparently a general letter that was likely sent to alot of folks. Here is the content of that e-mail: <--- Start of e-mail from SailNet ---- It has come to the attention of SailNet that postings have appeared on unmoderated forums that we host containing rumors and allegations against former and current management. We have no knowledge that any of the claims or allegations in these postings are true. We are attempting to remove as many of these unmoderated postings as possible. The authors of any such postings will be held fully and solely responsible and liable for their content. <---- End of e-mail --- Seems to me that they are more interested in covering there collective A$$E$ than full filling there customers orders and correcting their screw-ups. I guess I can officially call myself an EX SailNet customer! So long SailNet!

F

former employee

Official Filing of SailNet

Recently in Post and Courier: Financial troubles sink SailNet Dot-com has filed for bankruptcy, will liquidate business SailNet, an online shopping site for boating enthusiasts that expanded quickly during the dot-com boom, has declared bankruptcy and will be sold off. The North Charleston-based company and its affiliates, all operating under the umbrella of MarineNet Inc., sought protection from creditors earlier this week in Columbia. The once-high-flying company, which recently ceased operations, will not be reorganized. "Everything will be liquidated," said Ivan N. Nossokoff, the company's bankruptcy attorney. SailNet listed nearly $1.4 million in debts and $211,000 in assets, mostly office equipment, inventory and unpaid invoices. The decision to close and liquidate the business "was simply a matter of just not having enough money to continue to operate," Nossokoff said Wednesday. "It's just that plain and simple." The bankruptcy filing shows that revenue at SailNet sank by $1.2 million last year, or 20 percent, to $4.7 million. Sales to date this year have totaled slightly more than $2 million. The company listed its biggest creditor as Larry French, a Florida resident who sold his St. Petersburg-based sail-making business to SailNet about five years ago. He is owed about $420,000, according to a court filing. Other major creditors include National Bank of South Carolina, which is owed $350,000, and the owners of SailNet's former and current corporate offices in Mount Pleasant and North Charleston, respectively. The landlords are owed a combined $131,809. The company is scheduled to meet with creditors Aug. 24 at a hearing in Charleston. SailNet sought bankruptcy protection several days after The Post and Courier reported the online retailer had stopped taking orders and that its Leeds Avenue offices had been closed for at least several weeks. Customers who said they have been overcharged or have not received their orders have been posting complaints about the company on Internet message boards. Nossokoff said it's too early in the bankruptcy process to say how the court will handle any unfilled orders or overcharges. He also was not sure what will become of any personal information such as customers' credit card numbers that might be stored in SailNet's computer systems. The liquidation plan spells the end of what had been a promising local technology business. SailNet was launched in 1994 in Detroit by Sam and Cheryl Boyle, who moved the venture to the Charleston area in 1999. The next year, the couple sold a controlling stake for an undisclosed sum to IDG Ventures, a San Francisco-based venture capital firm. Flush with cash, SailNet began to expand through acquisitions in 2000, when it bought Johnson Sales Inc., a Florida business that manufactured sails and other boat accessories. That same year it acquired Boston-based competitor Boatscape.com. At the same time, SailNet hired a crew of programmers, sales staff and craftsmen. At its peak, the dot-com employed about 60 workers in the Lowcountry and another 140 or so in Florida. The Boyles last week told The Post and Courier that they parted ways with the company's majority owners in December. The bankruptcy filing listed about 30 other businesses and individuals as shareholders, whose investments in the company are wiped out. SailNet said in its bankruptcy filing that John Rublaitus, who was named president and chief executive officer in January, stepped down from those positions Monday and is now serving as a consultant to the company. Nossokoff said Rublaitus was traveling Wednesday and unavailable for comment.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
I've been putting it off, but

I just deleted them from my favorites list. Hope they do the same to my credit card number. :(

Feb 15, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Balt/Annapolis/New Bern
I'm afraid I have to agree...beware of Sailnet

It is impossible to get customer service on the phone, or get them to answer an email. I have parts being "processed" that I'm ready to give up on. I would be happy to wait for my parts if someone would just answer my calls or emails! Beware of Sailnet!!!! Steve

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Just Looked at Their Sale Email

It was sent out on 6 July they shut down the orders less than two weeks later. Maybe I am over suspicious but this stuff does not happen over night. I would think that if you push for orders with a big sale right before you close up shop there might be a case for fraud charges. I almost made a big order but found what I needed cheaper at Defender glad I did not make another big order from SailNet. If I had an order in I would immediately call the credit card company and follow that up with a call to my states Attorney General. I was hoping they could get their stuff together and be back in business but even if they do I think they are going to have a hard time getting folks to do business with them.

O

O2Addict

Problems with Orders

I too am having major problems with Sailnet, but I assume from this thread that they have gone. Now I need to check my Credit Card and see if they billed me before they closed!!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Big sale just before closing isn't fraud, Rick...

It's inventory liquidation...and very common when a company is about to go out of business. 'Cuz they want to get rid of anything they can sell, even if the sale price is at their cost instead of returning stock to their vendors, because vendors typically charge a 20% restocking fee...and there's also the cost of the freight to ship it back to 'em. It might be more ETHICAL to publicize it as a "going out of business" sale...but not doing so isn't fraud. Still, if you've bought anything and haven't received it after at least two weeks, it's time to call your credit card issuer and dispute the charge as "ordered, never received." However, it's stupid on the part of any company to let that happen...'cuz the card issuers (Visa/MC/Amex/Disc) sock merchants with a whopping fee for every "chargeback" too...so they not only lose the money from the sale, but incur additional cost. Otoh, maybe if you file for bankruptcy, the card issuers just have to eat those charges along with every other creditor. But that's between Sailnet and their card merchant accounts...the point is, it's not fraud to have a sale just before going out of business.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I Absolutly Agree Peggy

If they ship out what is ordered. If they never planned to ship out all that was ordered that is a whole different ball of wax.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Sailnet's last sale

The last sale was limited to stock on hand only, so it was clearly inventory liquidation. Because the company is in Chapter 7, manufacturer's restocking fees and credit card chargebacks are irrelevant to them at this point. Even if your card has been charged you can dispute it -- and you should certainly do that, as everything and anything left in that warehouse is going to auctioned, not shipped. The court will decide where the customers stand in 'line' with the creditors, but based on what I read the banks with secured debt will probably get whatever comes from the auction.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
A WAG as to what *may* have happened...

And a WAG is ALL it is..but it makes the most sense (to me anway): they had every intention of shipping all the sale orders...but if the investors cut off the cash to meet the payroll for the employees who process and ship orders and laid 'em all off, there'd be no one left to do it. They may have decided that credit card chargebacks were cheaper than another few weeks payroll. Again, I stress that I'm ONLY speculating...I don't have any more of a clue--and maybe even less of one than some people--as to the facts than you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.