Sailmakers

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
One caveat: whatever else you put into the information 'mix' for choosing a sailmaker, avoid the word "racing."
For some reason sailors and less-scrupulous sail sellers try to use "cruising" and "racing" to steer you. :(
Tune them out.
"Racing" is only a word. It is a sailing activity that you participate in when you enter a... race. Lots of fun, but it's still all about sailing your boat.
Focus on sail shape and longevity. While it's hard to set aside money concerns, initially find a sail maker focused on your boat and your sailing venue. Once you get to options for sail construction, talk about the money. And, it's fall.... the season for falling leaves and discounts.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Sails from a good local sailmaker will, in most cases, be considerably more expensive as they should be. The will be very custom.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Talk to Dave at North. He is the local rep, he is very knowledgeable. Let him know I sent you, hopefully he won't hold that against you ;)
david.foy@northsails.com or David Foy | North Sails
The last 4 sails I have bought were from North. The last two were Optimist sails but before that I bought Dacron main and genoa for my C&C27. I shopped around and found North to be competitively priced and I trust the quality. The main held up exceptionally well for many years and was still in good shape when I sold the boat. The #1 genoa was still very serviceable but I tended to use it in bigger wind than I should have so it stretched a bit over the years.
If you aren't racing, go with Dacron. More expensive materials cost more and have better initial shape but do not necessarily last any longer.

D'Arcy

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Living more than 2000 miles apart, 3,219 kilometers, D,Arcy and I arrived at the conclusion. It is almost like were are brothers from different mothers & fathers.

Sails whether Dacron or an exotic laminate are sails. The design features they employ vary based on the use they are applied. As @FastOlson states sails are not labeled Cruising or Racing only.

What I find is that the owners intending to race their boats have developed a preference for light weight cloth, that is put together with materials that hold their shape, but have shown to have shorter use life when exposed to UV. In order to address this issue competitive boat owners remove the seas from the boat and labor over their cleaning, drying and storage until the next race trying to preserve their investment in the sails for as long as is possible/practical/effective.

Cruising boat owners tend to be less focused on the daily care of their sails leaving them up on the boat ready to go out on the water with minimal preparation or work. Sometimes the cruising sail may be up flying for many 24 hour periods in a row. UV and salt water damage is an accepted experience in order to power the boat to it's destination. Upon arrival the sails are wrapped about the boom or stuffed into a bag to await the next passage. Cruising sails are generally made of heavier material, reinforced attachment points, and additional anti chafe patches to reduce damage.

Labels are not exclusive, but may help in your search for the fit you need on your boat.

Fall and winter are the optimum times to be considering sails. Not only are their discounts but time is often available to get the sails made and returned to your boat in time for the next season. Look to the boat shows for possible promotions. Check the web sights. Ask the sail makers if they have a promotion or discount.
Good luck.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I was wondering has anyone bought a sail kit from Sailrite? any good or a waste of money?

Oct 22, 2014
You have all winter, you interested in sewing and sail creation? Do you worry about a 3/4 to a 1/2 knot better speed or are you happy just to be on the boat with sails up?

@Hayden Watson sails his Catalina with sails he and his wife have made.

As a first time project you will need to devote the same amounts of time to the project as you have to the other projects on your boat. I can imagine the pride and the :facepalm:darn moments when you first hoist the sail next spring. But isn't that all a part of having found your Granpian and brought her back to a better place.

Aug 17, 2013
I wouldn't mind making it, before shipping it would cost around 915$cd I have the time and place to make it, just wondering if they are any good or should I go with lets say precision sail who offers one for 1250$cd, I don't know enough to compare both quality wise.
That being said I'm also waiting on a few more quotes, but being my first time buying a sail I don't know what is what

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Curious how much the on-line precision quote was vs.a Sailrite kit costs $691 (sailcloth, thread, needles, grommets, rings, eyelets, etc.) plus Sailrite sewing machine for $895 - 1395 plus other tools for $$. Please let us now what you decided to do?

Steps to Sewing a Sail Kit from Sailrite:
What Do I Need to Start Sailmaking & Sewing Sails?

You might find these threads helpful:

1600962233887.png

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I wouldn't mind making it, before shipping it would cost around 915$cd I have the time and place to make it, just wondering if they are any good or should I go with lets say precision sail who offers one for 1250$cd, I don't know enough to compare both quality wise.
That being said I'm also waiting on a few more quotes, but being my first time buying a sail I don't know what is what
If you have a sewing machine that can handle multiple layers of cloth, sewing your own can be a money saving option.

As you are learning sail making and sail selection is a confusing jumble of issues. The place to start is always with your intended use and the conditions you expect to sail in. Daysailing in a lake near Ottawa is much different than daysailing in SF Bay or the Caribbean and the sails will need to be different. A good sailmaker will talk to you about your sailing objectives, skills, and location and recommend a cloth and design that works for you. Avoid the ones that want to up sell you on unnecessary options and fancy sail cuts.

A straight forward crosscut Dacron sail with a loose foot, 1 reef, and a cunningham may be all that you need right now and will be among the most affordable options.

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
I was wondering has anyone bought a sail kit from Sailrite? any good or a waste of money?
Summary: I highly recommend a sail kit from Sailrite. But, do read below......

I have sewn two sails before from Sailrite kits, and am presently sewing my third kit - a 125% cross-cut genoa for my O'Day 322. The materials supplied are high quality. The result you get is equivalent to the care and accuracy you execute the project with. But the raw materials supplied are impeccable. The sails are designed by Sailrite's in-house sail designer who has been designing and building sails for 15 years now at least - I remember working with him when I did my first sail in 2005.

I have sewn a genoa for an O'Day 272, a main sail for my present O'Day 322 (10 years old now), and now a 125% genoa for the O'day 322. Some pictures are attached. I have also sewn three bimini's for my boat and friends boats, one stack pack for my mainsail, and assorted winch covers, hatch covers, etc.

Now - some words of experience and advice......

You need a walking-foot sewing machine that has a powerful punch. A Sailrite or other equivalent knock-off machine, or industrial, or upholstery machine is necessary. A typical home machine will not do for this project, at the corners you will be sewing through 8 or 10 layers of sailcloth plus webbing. You need serious punching power to get through that. Having said that - the Sailrite Ultrafeed is more than up to the task - though the short arm length is somewhat of a challenge to feed a large sail through.

Sewing a sail requires a certain level of meticulousness, or you not be happy with the end product. If you can make a nice quilted pot holder, you can do this. I might suggest you make a winch cover, or a hatch cover to practice first, if you lack sewing experience (and the quilted pot holder would not be a bad idea either).

The end product in my mind with careful construction is equal to what any regional loft would give you, the same computer design sail software "ProSail" is used that many lofts use. The fabric panels are CNC cut with laser precision, and each is labeled and the seaming line is drawn along the edge for the basting. These panels match up perfectly.

The standard sail cloth in the kit is Dacron Supercruise 6.4 oz, but you can discuss many fabric options with Sailrite. They can design cross-cut, radial-cut, whatever you want. Radial cut is obviously more labor for you.

If your boat is over 30', work space may be a consideration. I have done my sails in my living room & dining room (get agreement from your spouse, that your living space will be a mess for a week or more). It is a bit of a mess to manage 275 sq feet in your living space. If you could gain access to a yoga studio or gymnasium or other clean floor-space for a few work sessions, it would greatly help managing a large sail.

Be prepared that you cannot make as perfect stitches as a sail loft would, you don't have the years of experience or the vast loft work-space that they do to feed the cloth extremely evenly. Still , you can get a very acceptable result. You will never see any imperfections in your stitches from more than 3 feet away. You must be meticulous however, when basting the panels together, or you will have a hard spot / wrinkle in the end product that you will have to stare at forever. Know that if you basted perfectly, it will set perfectly.
A joy in the process, and the best care you can take, will reward you with a product you can be proud of. If your only goal is saving money and the sewing process is only a necessary evil to the end dollar savings, then you should not be doing a sail kit. Pay a professional. If you enjoy DIY projects, this may be for you.

It is not going to be a laminar racing sail, but for most of us cruisers it is everything you could ask for, you will beam with pride and satisfaction each time you host the sail. People at my marina cannot believe I sewed these huge sails myself. And I can't believe I sewed them on my little walking foot machine.

See the pictures , and best of luck.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you could gain access to a yoga studio or gymnasium or other clean floor-space for a few work sessions, it would greatly help managing a large sail.
Good advice.

A colleague made a Sailrite spinnaker and was happy with the results. She was an Elementary School Principal and used the school cafeteria on weekends.

I have made several Sailrite kits, including a small riding sail. They have very good instructions and good quality material.

Aug 24, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 321 321 Little River, SC
If you’re not sure about what is what with buying sails then I’m not sure you want to make your own. I just bought a 155% genoa and an in mast furling vertically battened mainsail from Neil Pryde. They are Dacron and in the ‘cruising’ category of sails. I was actually able to negotiate a lower price from the original quote they gave me. Got it down a few hundred bucks for buying both sails at the same time. They seem well made and durable. I just got the genoa up yesterday and it looks great. I had an easier time dealing with Neil Pryde for my Beneteau 321 because they make the new Beneteau sails now. They even included the Beneteau logo seahorse which was sort of cool. If you know who made your original sails then I would get a quote from them too. Just my two cents...

Aug 17, 2013
so Precision sails got my vote, the order has been placed, I'm going to receive it in April, just in time for the sailing season, the price is right and they were very nice to do business with.

Oct 22, 2014
You’ll love your new sails. Your boat will reward you for doing it.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
We have made a 135% RF genoa and the Asymmetrical spinnaker in my avatar from Sailrite kits and they both turned out great.

Aug 24, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 321 321 Little River, SC
so Precision sails got my vote, the order has been placed, I'm going to receive it in April, just in time for the sailing season, the price is right and they were very nice to do business with.
Well done! You’ll love your new sails. After all, that’s what it’s all about! Smooth sailing!