Sailing's a lot of work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwkemp

Feb 17, 2010
Catalina 22 Lakes George, Sacandaga, Saratoga, Champlain
I guess it depends partly on where you sail. A slip on Lake George for the season would cost us from $3,000 to $5,000 and that's not counting the lake passes and day use fees for state land. I paid Less than 3k for my Cat22 with trailer. This year we're drysailing on Sacandaga, $500 for the season May to Oct, though we missed May due to high water conditions.

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
I have the same view as them for a fraction of what their taxes are for the year :) AND the best part is I can change my view whenever I want.
Yep - only possible with a 360 degree ocean front (or lake front) home :D.

OC

Sep 19, 2010
Catalina 22 home
A slip, or at least parking the trailer with the mast up is starting to look sensible. I'm seeing $20 bucks round trip in gas for pulling the boat to and from the marina plus $15 each time for ramp fees; versus $100 per month in season to park at the marina. Three trips a month and I break even. If I can find a slip just for the season at twice that cost, it still makes sense. I can still keep it on the trailer off season, and use the trailer for the times I want to go explore somewhere else.

After all, it's about sailing - not about working before and after sailing.

Jun 4, 2011
Morgan 27 Long Beach
My boat is in a slip. I can load up the boat and be out sailing in 20 min plus you can just hang out at the marina if you like

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I agree regarding the slip, though we had a 20% increase this year. It just takes too long to set up/retrieve otherwise.

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
I agree regarding the slip, though we had a 20% increase this year. It just takes too long to set up/retrieve otherwise.
yeah - my slip is kind expensive for what you get "on the surface". But, the cost is reasonable when I look at what the marina staff have to do to make a marina work in our difficult environment. The lake level changes all the time, so they have to move the docks a lot. Steep canyon lake floor and water level changes mean that the marina can't be protected from weather - so they need to go out and check and adjust the dock anchors when the crud hits the fan. And, they protect our boats. If a SE gale comes, they know somebodies dock line will snap. They are there to get a new one on if at all possible.

My other options here are boring flatland lakes - with a good (oops, fantastic) marina staff - the cost is well worth it to sail on a nice mountain lake.

At least until I can get back to real salt water...

OC

Jun 29, 2011
Catalina 22 Alum Creek SP
I rented a slip at the SP where my boat is in a stick up storage, it was expensive as hell but sitting in my boat day after day was awesome. I haven't sail since then, too hot, but also I need crew to launch and retrieve. The goal is a slip next year either at the sailing club or SP marina.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
messing about in boats

Please do not become discouraged over this time element. As stated by these other fellows, it’s a long learning experience both on the water and off. Every time you launch and retrieve you learn something new about your boat and having the boat at home allows you the convenice to make the necessary repairs, additions and adjustments needed for your time on the water, this takes lots of time and effort.

This apprenticeship will pay huge dividends in the long run, if not then maybe sailing is not for you. There’s a passage from a childrens book written in England about 1900 that says it all about the old timer’s on this blog;

**`This has been a wonderful day!' said he, as the Rat shoved off and took to the sculls again. `Do you know, I`ve never been in a boat before in all my life.'
***`What?' cried the Rat, open-mouthed: `Never been in a -- you never -- well I -- what have you been doing, then?'
***`Is it so nice as all that?' asked the Mole shyly, though he was quite prepared to believe it as he leant back in his seat and surveyed the cushions, the oars, the rowlocks, and all the fascinating fittings, and felt the boat sway lightly under him.

***`Nice? It's the only thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolute nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing -- about -- in -- boats; messing -- -- '
***`Look ahead, Rat!' cried the Mole suddenly.
***It was too late. The boat struck the bank full tilt. The dreamer, the joyous oarsman, lay on his back at the bottom of the boat, his heels in the air.
***` -- about in boats -- or with boats,' the Rat went on composedly, picking himself up with a pleasant laugh. `In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?'

The Wind in the Willows
by Kenneth Grahame, 1908

Now, when I’m at the bay I sail out of two marinas that have launch ramps and cater to the trailer sailor by having the facilities to keep the boat on the trailer with mast up at a reduced cost, there’re probably many more if you check around. What you have at the bay and especially in your area is so many of these places and they are not over booked, so negotiations are there for you also.

The two;

Holiday Hills in Mayo, the same town you now sail out of, the place is rough and no amenities, but the old guy will negotiate.

Maryland Marina on Middle River, Baltimore, very nice, but the brothers may only do a full year contract.

Sep 19, 2010
Catalina 22 home
Messing about in boats

Well, I've certainly been messing about! Since last Fall I've worked like a rented mule, fixing and restoring, thinking that when I launched, the time on the water would be a series of relaxing adventures crusing hither and yon. Ouch, what a difference reality makes!

There is a fair amount of difference between trailering this boat and trailering small power boats I've had in the past. No one thing makes the difference, just a collection of details that adds up: larger, heavier boat; float-off vs roll-off, stepping a mast. As has been said before, trailering is good for going new places, hauling out for service or the off season, and getting people like me to buy boats :D; but for routine enjoyment of the water, nothing beats a slip!

Status
Not open for further replies.