Sailing withdrawal support thread

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
I am deployed and would like to see sailing pics you've taken over the last couple of months... I need a fix guys!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I am deployed and would like to see sailing pics you've taken over the last couple of months... I need a fix guys!
I'm glad to see your posts !

The only photo I can supply is one I took during my failed attempt to launch the boat for the first time. Yep. Still not in the water. You may end up sailing before I do.

Question: Do you have a bandwidth limitation ? Should we limit photo sizes ?

If you can do videos, here's one I recently found, and immediately thought of you.
It's a tribute video done by a sailor near me, to his dad who taught him how to sail.
Of all the videos out there, this one truly shows how it can be a fantastic family hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAhI6GobIDs

EDIT:
Are we sending paper magazines ?
Do you have your own tablet or something to read PDF magazines ?

Cheers,
Roy

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Here's something you won't miss.

This kestrel initially decided to perch on the windex, but quickly moved to the stronger part, the stainless arm.

Thankfully, he's a lightweight. :D

Hmm, "upload of file failed."

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
All! pictures are so welcome... cannot even explain! Even yours leeward! Is is okay if I laughed? You'll get her in the water soon enough bud.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
All! pictures are so welcome... cannot even explain! Even yours leeward! Is is okay if I laughed? You'll get her in the water soon enough bud.
Yup, laughing is allowed.
Truthfully, that's why I have my refit thread. Not only will it inspire people and pass on ideas, but other new owners will realize that there are others in the same boat.
"Ready to Sail" or "just needs some TLC"... yeah... sure it is... :)

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Here's one from August. Haven't been out lately due to mid-50's temp and 22-28 knot winds. Hope these help. Thank you for your service.

Attachments

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
Question: Do you have a bandwidth limitation ? Should we limit photo sizes ?

If you can do videos, here's one I recently found, and immediately thought of you.
It's a tribute video done by a sailor near me, to his dad who taught him how to sail.
Of all the videos out there, this one truly shows how it can be a fantastic family hobby.

Leeward! What the hell man! I CANNOT watch a video like that while deployed! Ugh...

Justsome, Stingy, Tcat, Grumpy, Drink, Bush - Thanks all for the photos guys. They were awesome.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Leeward! What the hell man! I CANNOT watch a video like that while deployed! Ugh...
Sigh.. Sorry about that. I was meaning to send it to you before you left. For some reason I figured it would be more inspiring instead of heartbreaking and frustrating. A view of the sanity the world can actually contain.

If you want a laugh. Read the posts in my thread...
BTW Check my PM about the digital magazines.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Thank you for your service to our country, I pray you return home safe and sound. In the mean time, enjoy a few more pictures.

Attachments

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
hehe green boat we found at sea in the spring. Cuban refugee boat. 5 Cubans made it 8 days on that.
Neat features
Whole boat was made of tarps the tubes aren't tubes they are tarps rolled into tube shapes and filled with spray foam.
The motor I would have killed for about 3 years ago. It's a single cylinder diesel putt putt from the 50's
what they had on the boat?
A BAG yah a BAG, canvas bag at that, of peanutbutter. Why a bag you say? Havent a clue was pretty nasty but they made it.
a homemade machete why? no clue maybe they brought some coconuts with them or maybe incase if one of them got out of hand hehe.
A giant bag of crackers. Again a canvas bag. Not sure what kind but looked like a rusian version of saltine.
A plastic giant tube of cigs :) gotta bring the cigs. They were well preserved. Gave one a try (had to) cigar tobacco wicked strong. Should have kept took all the tobacco out and made cigars hehe.
2 raincoats. Still have them pretty nice they were in nasty dirty condition but cleaned up and those Russians can make one hell of a raincoat.
A watch compass
some crappy tools
no gas can oddly thinking they tossed it when it ran out.
Was setup with a sail as well.

Sure there was other stuff cant think of at the time.
Anyway it was pretty neat.

And man my super cool catalina is there and ya gotta ask about the crappy homemade green boat huh heheh

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Extremely cool...
The engine reminds me of the air cooled "Lister" in this video of a guy who learned to sail and built a steel boat, all in 14 months. He then sailed the North Sea to Iceland:

BTW: If you guys, that especially means you spartacus99, haven't seen the series of videos "Keep Turning Left".. You should check them about. It's a guy sailing around the UK. The first 8 seasons are in 2 trailerable sailboats. Great stuff.
First season is on youtube, the rest are now posted on his website.

Last edited: