Sailing with cabin top hatch open?

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Has anyone found a way to sail with the hatch open and keep the headsail sheets from getting stuck?

I know it’s not advisable to sail with it open but my boat doesn’t have the best ventilation. I sail on the St Johns River so waves aren’t usually a issue.

Ive thought of running a line from the mast base to the below the furler. I’m not sure if that will cure the problem.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Bring in the lazy sheet first so it is up against the mast. Tack and bring in the new lazy sheet. Try to keep the sail flowing back so the sheets don't go forward. If there a lot of tacks to be done, close the hatch because no system is fool proof.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Bring in the lazy sheet first so it is up against the mast. Tack and bring in the new lazy sheet. Try to keep the sail flowing back so the sheets don't go forward. If there a lot of tacks to be done, close the hatch because no system is fool proof.
While this is good advice prior to a tack, on the next tack, while trimming the lazy sheet, unless you also keep pressure on the old sheet throughout the tack, the wind is likely to blow that sheet forward over the open hatch, and the only resolution is to go forward and free it from the hatch. You would need to manage both sheets through the tack, and maybe that will generally help

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Dave's description is how I do it. It generally works pretty good, but his key words are: ''no system is fool proof''. As Sailfanatic said, unless you keep tension on the lazy sheet, (not very practical as you literally get into a hove-to situation), every now & then it will get caught.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Thanks for the responses. I generally use the tactic mentioned. I guess I will work on improving

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Actually a possible solution would be to reset the hatch so it opens to the stern...

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Actually a possible solution would be to reset the hatch so it opens to the stern...
It might indeed reduce the area for the sheet to catch but there is still a possibility. And it would not be advantageous to the desired flow of air that the original post mentioned for optimized ventilation.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Re-do the hinges to quick-disconnect pins so you can remove the hatch lens when sailing.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Even if the hatch is only slightly cracked open it has a tendency to catch the lazy sheet. You have to practice tensioning that sheet so that the clew takes it above the open hatch during a tack. Best solution is just to leave it closed.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've always found closing it to be the best choice. In light winds careful tacking works well, and when the wind's up you don't need it.

In between, open it just 6 inches and rig a cargo net over it. No snags.