• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Sailing with a High

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
May 1st and the entire Gulf of Mexico and Parts of Lower Atlantic Coast, are in the middle of a glorious HIGH pressure system.

Warm Sunny days and cool clear nights.

There will be steady winds, only changing direction, as the HIGH passes over you.

This HIGH is moving East at a slow, 8 miles/hour.:thumbup:

For us, we will be heading out to catch some UV, fresh air, looking for normalcy, and escaping the Sheltered Cave.

If you can't raise your sails, perhaps just sit on your boat and breathe in the fresh air, enjoy the ocean view, and dream of sailing.

Life is good, especially with friends and loved ones as your crew.
Jim..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think with the sun out and the sailboat not yet ready, it is time to paddle the kayak on the river.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
CLICK BAIT
I thought the title was clever too.:pimp:

Time to rev up the Weather & Forecasting Forum. Snow and more Snow was not as much fun for Southern Sailors.

Hopefully the Pacific Northwest HIGHs save us from Major Summer Storms, like last year.

Noteworthy is that HIGHs bring good weather to all sailors.
Jim...

PS: Knowing @rgranger approximate age, I see where his mind is and has been on the subject of Highs.;)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The weather here is spectacular. We've had a series of cold fronts come through just as it was getting hot which have cooled and dried the air. Last year at this time it was hot already. I don't know which is normal but I will enjoy a bike ride this AM and maybe a walk on the beach later - I think they are open for that. No umbrellas, no blankets, no chairs - ugh!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Five hour sail today but light winds.
We did up to 4.5 knots for an hour.:)

Temp 80° and enjoying a beer after anchoring off Cat Island.

Lot of boats out, 5 sailboats too.
People getting out of their caves.
Jim...

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
Here in PA, I can't get my boat out of the marina till this weekend, May 8, because of Corvid 19. Just in time for low temps and a hard freeze that night. It's May right? What's going on? Got to sail test my new upholstery.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You are right Ken. Same possible temps here. I got the kayak out yesterday and cleaned off some of the dirt and spiders. I am ready to go. Willamette River... Here I come.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Went to boat and got my Underwater Camera [it can make movies and clear shots on surface too] for our Sail with the HIGH.

I took a few shots of crazy boat traffic and a motorize parasail, buzzing the train bridge on the 3rd.

But this one told the story of a nice 6 knot run with our Main up for the first time in season 2020.
Main2020.JPG

Also the way a in-mast furling main looks unfurled and against the spreader [which has a wear patch in sail].
Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Watch out for Washington State Killer Hornets!
Jim...

PS: That would be a good racing Sailboat name... Killer Hornet.
As a bee keeper, I am so glad the Asian Giant Hornet (murder hornet) is a whole continent away. It disturbs me that the northern climes doesn't seem to keep them out. The Japanese bees have developed an increasing defense. They swarm around the invading hornet and cook them to death. I'm sure the loss to th the bees is high.

It looks like we need to be kind to praying mantus.

-Will (Dragonfly)