sailing time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

I will be sailing from Clearwater FL to Pensacola FL next week. I'm new to sailing and would like to know how long the trip should take and would it be best to stay near shore or take a direct route. Any advice would be very helpfull. Thanks. Please e-mail me at: thespot@wavetech.net . I own a 35.5' Hunter Ledgeon.

J

john renfro

fast

i have never attempted any long distance travel, but i asked a past national sailing champ and read in a book titled ( i think ) "sailing single handed " the best speed is about 100 miles per day. ( time x knots, distance divided by time ? ) have fun john

D

David

speed

The hull crusing speed of the Hunter 35.5 is 7.3 knots. 1 knot = 1.2 mph Take your time and have fun along the coast.

S

steven f.

weather window

Being a lifelong resident of florida my main concern would be the winter weather in the Gulf of Mexico. The winds just before and after one of the many (and continous) cold fronts is wicked, the seas than become crazy too. Heading north this time of year you'll earn your money, heading from the panhandle down is a bit better. Best time of year would be April or May, minimal cold fronts and no hurricanes. Good luck, enjoy and be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.