Sailing the Abacos

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Thanks, Dave! we chartered a 41' Maine cat there several years ago and loved it. Brings back memories

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Nice video, Dave. Brings back a few memorable downwind sails in the Abacos, long ago.

I noticed in my first few sailing vids with phones were plagued by wind noise. The roar, the rumble. I've been researching the problem.

You can sometimes 'shade' the phone-mic from the wind with your body, dodger, etc., but it nearly always (anything above say 5 kts of wind), wind haunted my footage on the boat.

I've added a wired remote mic to my photography/video gear bag. It will fit both my DSLR and iPhone 14. Sits on top either (via the hot shoe on DSLR or the tripod mount for the iPhone). It comes with a 'dead cat' or wind noise muffler. I haven't tried it on the water yet.

Here is an idea for a wind noise reducer that can easily be applied to smartphones:

Jul 28, 2023
Hunter Legend 37 Biscayne Bay
For Fun I will ADMIT I was not sure what ABACOS was LOL, though had heard the word.
AND I LIVE IN SOUTH FLORIDA jajaja , but finally looked it up.

Beautiful water and video!!
Would you do that trip on a boat with 6 ft draft?
I imagine you did your trip on your SABRE 362 shoal draft 4' 8"????

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
For Fun I will ADMIT I was not sure what ABACOS was LOL, though had heard the word.
AND I LIVE IN SOUTH FLORIDA jajaja , but finally looked it up.

Beautiful water and video!!
Would you do that trip on a boat with 6 ft draft?
I imagine you did your trip on your SABRE 362 shoal draft 4' 8"????
Thank you.

Nominally, we have a 4'8" draft in reality it is closer to 5' or a little over, what with spares, food and supplies, outboards, life rafts, etc. etc.

6' draft is doable however there will be places you won't be able to get into and you will need to pay close attention the tides. A couple of places that will be dicey to enter will be Hopetown on Elbow Cay, and Donny's Marina on Green Turtle. Most of the sailing is in 10-15+ feet.

The best charts are Explorer Charts. To the best of my knowledge they are available in a chart book and in electronic form only on C-Map, not on Navionics.

The Abacos were devastated by Hurricane Dorian several years ago. When we were there in April 2022 they were still recovering. The smaller islands were recovering faster than Marsh Harbor, we did not go there. The islands are dependent on tourists and are caught in a Catch-22 as they rebuild, the tourist accommodations are filled with construction workers who are rebuilding the islands which means accommodations for tourists are limited. Bringing your own accommodations makes your contributions more valuable.