Sailing Puget Sound (Tacoma, Olympia, Gig Harbor)

Sep 25, 2008
Harpoon 5.2 Honolulu, HI
Hello everyone,
I'm moving to Tacoma soon and am thinking about getting another sailboat. I'm interested to know how tough it is to deal with the currents there. I'm assuming big tides will equate to strong currents? But I see a lot of sailboats and yacht clubs, so it must be do-able. Appreciate anyone who can tell me more about sailing there.
Also, does the cold water help slow down bottom growth?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I have spent a lot of time in Tacoma, my daughter and her family are there, but sailed more out of Bellingham. My observation is that it is much more mellow than the San Francisco Bay and really beautiful with many destinations.

There are honking big tide ranges and the currents do flow strongly and coupling that with the frequently light winds you will need motoring capability. What Stu said about currents changing twice a day is true, here in the Bay and out of Bellingham we make our plans around the tides - they sure are reliable.

That is a wonderful area, do not be put off by the stories about the weather.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
It's not a problem in any way, but you do have to pay attention to the currents and tide tables in certain places.

For example, anywhere the water narrows -- Tacoma Narrows, Agate, Pass, etc -- you'll need to make passage at slack. And, you'll learn how to anchor correctly with the tides. :) That said, we have great, sticky mud here and it's not hard at all, just another thing to learn.

There may be places where the pure sailing better but i don't think there's anywhere in the world where the gunkholing is better than this. Get the boat!

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Current factors

There are some fairly big tides, sometimes as much as 16 feet. Even on a good day they'll be a factor to consider in the sailing plan.

As for the currents they generate, something around 2 to 4 knots is common and, like the wind, it always seems to be on the nose. Since the tides change in somewhere around 6 hours, give or take depending on a bunch of factors, what you started out with will, most likely, be different than what you end up with. That is, say, starting out on an ebb tide and part way along the trip you get hammered. This can be little frustrating. Let me re-phrase that: This IS frustrating.

There are tidal currents and then there are eddys. The eddys everywhere. There is the main current and then there are the side currents, and counter currents. In order to make the fastest passage it pays to know where and how all these currents interplay.

Check out this resource: https://www.starpath.com/ebooksamples/9780914025160_sample.pdf

In some cases one can make better speed over the ground while catching a back eddy than with no current at all. Going south through the Tacoma Narrows on an ebb tide one can make excellent time by hugging the back eddy along the western shore, at least for a little way. Unfortunately, the backeddy always ends. But hey, it's better than nothing.

Another downside to currents is when there is an opposing wind. The wind that opposes the current can really make a mess out of an otherwise peaceful passage.

Bottom line, it is dooable but one just has to do some reasonable trip planning.

With regard to the cold water slowing down growth on bottom paint - in my opinion, not nearly enough. Copper-based paints are being eliminated shortly so we'll see how the new ones work out. I don't know anyone who has tried the newer, more eco-friendly paints yet.

As an editorial comment: it seems the lawmakers are really hammering the boaters so the environment can be fixed; however, people are a major contributor with development and sewage. There are numerous sewage system failures every year yet the boater, if he lets ONE DROP of the stuff go overboard, can be slammed with severe penalties. Heck, don't even have to have any go overboard, just the Y-valve unlocked! Sewage system failures, on the other hand, can be (and often are) in the hundreds of thousands of gallons. Don't get me going on this.

Our marina has put off doing any improvements for the next five years because the state lease expires and the handwriting on the wall is we'll be out in the middle of the bay so complete new design. Heck, this might not even be doable. On the other hand, Poulsbo (my town) has killed off all the fish in a salmon stream that goes up to a recent new shopping center. No enforcement. But the state is spending millions to "save the salmon". Okay, I'm off my soap box.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Living near Puget Sound, you would be missing a lot if you don't get on the water.
A few places require you to time the tides, but in most areas you just have a lower speed if the tide is against you. Having said that you can make great speed when it is in your favor.
Ken

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
There is a lot to see in South Puget Sound. Google SSSSclub (South Sound Sailing Society) for lots of pictures. For sailing tips and destinations click "Bar" then "Reopened Bulletin Board" and finely "Scuttlebut" for categorized topics of interest. You are almost sure to like what you find.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
South Sound is great

There is a lot to see in South Puget Sound. Google SSSSclub (South Sound Sailing Society) for lots of pictures. For sailing tips and destinations click "Bar" then "Reopened Bulletin Board" and finely "Scuttlebut" for categorized topics of interest. You are almost sure to like what you find.
It isn't often when we hear of someone sailing South Sound. We have sailed Everett to Olympia multiple times and the thing that strikes me is most people in the South end seem to go to the San Juan islands for vacations. The south end is left with ample space wherever you go and it is beautiful. There are plenty of places to tie up and also plenty of places to drop the hook. The only issue I've found is lack of wind (That's why we have that iron genny.) From Tacoma you want to time the Tacoma Narrows to avoid bucking the tide. Other than that, no problem.

Ken