• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Sailing Passage Weather Forecasting.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The other day I got a request to help with weather forecasting by one of our fellow SBO sailors.

Hey John...
Perhaps it’s near time for a NWP weather forecast update? A friend is looking at a transit

I am not a passage Weather Forecaster... which my partner @JamesG161 here on the Weather and Forecasting Forum reminded me. For one my knowledge has been learned on the job, through study of weather data, sailing experience, and shared knowledge. I do not have a degree in what is often referred to as "Weather Voodoo".

I recently read a recommended book by a fellow sailor "And soon I heard a Roaring Wind: A Natural History of Moving Air" by Bill Steever that gave a good historical timeline to our quest for a reliable way to forecast the weather.

I thought that I would share a couple of the tools I employed to help my fellow sailor to decide on his weather query.

Know that trying to see the future of weather is like looking into a tunnel filled with smoke. For the first hundred or so yards you may think you can see what is coming but the images fade in and out. Caution and only the near 10-15 yards is what may be reliable.

First to get a MACRO idea of what is happening in the Pacific, I use Windy.Com and zoom out to see the general pattern of reported weather. I was being asked to guess 10 days into the future. To do that I use the European Weather Model (ECMWF) to show what they are forecasting. I know that this is a best guess by a computer model and is maybe 30% accurate 10 days out.

I collected the following images for our discussion.
1648240862724.png

This first image centers on the Hawaiian Islands and is a forecast for 1 April 2022. It shows the surface Temperature, the High Pressure Cells and the specific report for an area just off the San Francisco Bay. This will become important in the next image.

1648240826372.png

This image is wind patterns around the High Pressure Cells and for that SF Bay region. Note that the winds circle clockwise around High Pressure Cells and when the Iso Bars (white lines of common pressure) get close together the wind speeds increase. The model is indicating that the High pressure cell near the West coast will be pressing up against a Large Low pressure cell located somewhere over Colorado/New Mexico. On the Pacific Coast the winds are increasing as the High cell tries to move the Low cell eastward. Winds in the SF Bay area could be in the 32Knot range. Now for a sailor off the coast that might not be too bad. The winds out of the NNW (320 degrees) would be on the aft beam. The currents along the coast generally run from North to South. This would put the boat in a following sea and a following wind on the first of April.
1648240908394.png

I raised a red flag for my sailor buddy. I saw a ripple in the pressure cells just north of the Hawaiian islands. That wave ripple in the pressure lines shows up on this image of the moisture as a squall area. While it is in the middle of the ocean on this model, it will not stay there. It will be moving. There is no clear guide to how fast or where or what it will develop into. It should be an area of concern for Skipper thinking about heading out into the ocean some 12 to 14 days in the future around the 1st to 8th of April.

1648240934816.png

This upper air look at the jet streams in the Pacific give a glimpse at the powers moving the cells. The areas in white are areas of 100 plus knot winds.

This was start of the discussion from the point of a skipper planning a passage.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My next step was to look at what NOAA has available for a time frame 29March to 02 April. I gathered these images of the Pacific Coast line for the area of the planned passage.

Looking at the NOAA GFS data at this sight.. https://ggweather.com/loops/gfs_06z_thck.shtml
you can capture images of modeled weather (again this data is GFS modeling). There is a lot going on in these images. You can see High/Low Cells (High in light blue / Low in Red) with areas of green around them (moisture - precipitation), along with lines of common pressure (black lines, which when close together indicate areas of high winds) all are superimposed on a map of the North American continent (brown lines).

1648243314174.png

1648243253063.png

1648243270121.png

1648243282913.png

1648243300991.png

Looking at this series of images spread over the period 29 March to 02 April, I suggested a 5 day window of good weather for the proposed 3-4 day passage appears to be indicated.

I also said this real long range look indicates to me that the weather will be turning as you get into 2nd April and beyond time frame.

I pointed out the patch of green indicating precipitation on the NW quadrant of the High Pressure cell showing on the California Coast for April 02 leads me to believe the nice weather patterns are changing and beyond 02 April it looks iffy. You will want to monitor the weather patterns over the next 5 days to see what the models will be saying. I suspect that ripple we saw in the First Windy images will become a major storm front in California.

I would not want to be caught off shore, especially in the area of Point Conception should that squall show up.

Such a discussion brings emphasis that sailing to a schedule rather than the weather as it presents itself is a risk for all skippers.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Great points about Windy and NOAA. The next step beyond that is a weather routing program like OpenCPN or QT VLM. They’re both free and you can load free GRIB files from PredictWind into them. You will need polar files for your model. You can use the routing to try to get the optimal route, but even if you’re staying close to shore with a pretty set route you can follow the route to see what the conditions will be like along the way.