Sailing paradise and ice roads

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I just happened to turn on a web cam that I've had on my tool bar and was astonished to see 2 vehicles crossing the ice on Lake Superior from Bayfield to Madeline Island. It may look like a still shot, but if you watch long enough, something new might come into the picture. That long line across the ice is actually a road! People in NJ would have no comprehension for this. :confused:

http://www.bayfieldlive.com/
I guess the Apostle Islands are not ready for sailing yet.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think I watched long enough to see Elvis! :biggrin:
Later I saw an SUV traversing in the background and another pull up to that building, turn around and leave.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I know that it sounds nuts to watch it … but I was stunned to see any traffic! :biggrin: I think we can start thinking about getting our boats ready around here!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
That was cool. Just happened to catch watching a truck transit the road.
65 and sunny today. About 6 weeks to launch if I stay on schedule.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
In the summer, the residents of Madeline Island are limited in their off-island treking by at $25 each-way ferry and a limited hours schedule.

In the winter however the Ice Road (an actual WI roadway) gives them mainlander freedom to go where end when ever the please. The party is almost over. The Ice Road is now on a day-by-day schedule.

Then they use a more limited way to cross, the windsled. Part hovercraft, part snowmobile, part airboat, its one of a kind. Runs in early spring and late fall, when the ice is unsafe for cars.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just watched an SUV come from the islands across the lake. Started out as headlights, then turned and became an SUV. Now there is a guy who stepped off the dock and walked out into the middle of the bay then faced the Inn. Looked like he was taking a picture of me watching him.

Cool.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I am so confused. Walking/driving across a lake in March? I got a little sunburned hitting golf balls today.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
I am so confused. Walking/driving across a lake in March? I got a little sunburned hitting golf balls today.
I think I speak for all of us in the north east when I say " I hope you shank them the rest of the year"!
:)
I have snow on the ground still and today was a warm day!
So done with the cold, each year gets harder

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
This morning there are tons of vehicles going across. Must be everyone is taking advantage of the last few days of good ice. I'm surprised they are not on snowmobiles. They can use those year round. Just don't let off the throttle.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I think I speak for all of us in the north east when I say " I hope you shank them the rest of the year"!
:)
I have snow on the ground still and today was a warm day!
So done with the cold, each year gets harder
I am sure we will send you similar good wishes in July and August!