Sailing or not

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm in the middle of that right now.
For me, it's not so much about giving up sailing, but giving up a home of 12 years, a portion of our income, and being in azure waters infar away anchorages doing maintenance.
Covid was the first step toward the ending of that chapter. No international travel means no charter boat customers. Then I go ill and required treatment back home and by the time I'd recovered from that, La Soufrière blew her top, covering the boat and the islands we sail through in ash. Three strikes and we're out!
But it's not like we're giving up sailing though; we'll have some sort of fun boat tied alongside our dock queen. Well, a maybe not a dock queen exactly, but a home with A/C or heat 24/7 should we wish, a real standup household type fridge/freezer. A big open living room with a couple of recliners and a sundeck for those evenings when we want to watch the sunset over the Caribbean Sea. Oops, sorry, I meant dank, green waters of the NE.
However, it isn't like we'll leave the water, and Nikki will surely pursue a career under sail after I, well you know. Just beginning a new chapter.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The top reason I have encountered for people to quit sailing is purchasing a sailboat and keeping it on the trailer at home, especially if they have to tow 30 minutes or more one way. Having to hitch and unhitch the boat's trailer, Stepping and lowering the mast and rigging, launching and retrieving the boat gets old real quick. Pretty soon it becomes too much of a hassle and they find themselves making excuses, like 20% chance of rain, for not going out. Then the boat sits and gets moldy adding to the chores to be done before a future outing. They usually end up with flat tires growing trees in the cockpit. I have in the past owned a boat for which I paid in dock fees for one year the same amount as it's purchase price. Never had any regrets as I was paying for the complete sailing experience, not just the boat. It was nice to get out of work in the evening and be on the water in 15 minutes, or just going to the marina and tinkering with the boat and enjoyed the social aspect of interacting with other sailors. I had a water front property in which I would spend a few nights a month when I felt like it. Other reasons are usually the results of sickness or aging. By the way many of us don't race and consider sailing perhaps a way of life and not really a sport. Just laying back and steering the wheel with my toes with a beer in hand and streaming music I don't think qualifies as a sport.
when I first thought about getting a boat, I was enthralled with the MacGregor 26x or M. I finally got to sail on an X and I learned several things that day…
1) The Mac 26 x and M were not for me…didn’t sail well or motor well
2) More importantly, I knew that I wanted my boat in a slip, not trailered where I need to set it up and take it down to go for a sail….we set up the 26x for an hour before launching, and another hour + to get it back on the trailer and ready to take home. I knew that I would not have the patience to do that.

Greg

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Sometimes what you need is a different boat, different venue, or different style. Sailing has meant many different things to me over the years.
  • Downsize, switch from mono to multi or the reverse, or just a different sort of boat.
  • Different waters. Ocean vs. estuaries vs. river or lake.
  • Racing vs. cruising vs. day sailing vs. fishing, or any mix.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
More importantly, I knew that I wanted my boat in a slip,
Hi Greg, agree. We've always kept our boats in a marina slip ready to go in a moments notice. Other than provisions, we can leave for a day sail, or a two month cruise in about two heartbeats. Board, start engine, disconnect shore power and untie dock lines.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Man, this is close to home! I am stopping now because the admiral admitted to me that she is no longer feeling the love of sailing, at 71 she is not enjoying the halyards and foredeck. I learned the hard way long ago that when momma aint happy, bad things happen. So, I am reluctantly headed to the dark side.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Man, this is close to home! I am stopping now because the admiral admitted to me that she is no longer feeling the love of sailing, at 71 she is not enjoying the halyards and foredeck. I learned the hard way long ago that when momma aint happy, bad things happen. So, I am reluctantly headed to the dark side.
Switch crew positions?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
because my wife died this May from stomach cancer, a lot of my enthusiasm for sailing has diminished greatly. she rarely actually participated in operating the boat, but did love being out on the water with me for our 2-3 day trips 15-20 times a season and was always anxious to go at my slightest suggestion. enough that I only went by myself twice in the past 6-7 years, wile she was off on some other adventure with girlfriends. assuming we get enough water to fill our lakes in the next year or two I expect to continue to go out a few times each year, for another few years, but I'm 71 and slowing down phisically also. no regrets. it's been an awesome adventure to add to my long list of great adventures.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Russ, thoughts are with you. It is tough to loose your best crew mate. Be strong guy. She would likely want you enjoying the experience you shared. Being on the water is such a powerful positive feeling. If you are out there I believe she is with you.

Fair winds.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Not really an option, she is just done.
Actually, i consider myself quite fortunate that she stayed with it as long as she has. This is our season # 11, I knew the end was in sight. I appreciate her candor rather than just going out begrudging the trip because she was concerned about my safety.

Jan 7, 2011
My wife is not a huge fan either. She will go out for a few hours on a perfect day…not too windy, but sunny, warm and flat seas. I single-hand most of the time and do overnights without her. Wish she enjoyed it more, but we make it work.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
@Tally Ho - pretty much the same here. Just finished a week solo while the Admiral was off visiting her mother. Mostly single-handed but she does worry when I'm off shore.

Jan 7, 2011
@Tally Ho - pretty much the same here. Just finished a week solo while the Admiral was off visiting her mother. Mostly single-handed but she does worry when I'm off shore.
Yes…wife was throwing a bridal shower for my sons fiancé this weekend…I said, cool, I will go out for a long weekend sail…she “not so fast. I need your help“…. bummer

i was notified on Friday that a guy I saw at the marina on Wednesday tested positive for Covid on Thursday…i to,d the 6 women staying at my house that if anyone was concerned, I would be happy to quarantine on my boat doe the weekend….but all are vaccinated (me too), and no one was concerned…so no joy :(

But the bridal shower was nice I guess.

Greg

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Greg, we have entered a brave new world when guys are expected to participate at bridal showers. Was you son or the father of the bride in attendance?

I thought your offer for self quarantine was a graceful way of saying "I don't want to be a spreader. I'll sacrifice."

Sounds like a different perspective was had by the lady of the house.

Sometimes it happens. Compromise.

Best of luck. Consider your self lucky... your not the father of the bride where not only do you need to be at all the showers you get to pay for the experience. It is a duty one serves for having daughters, no questions asked.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Greg, we have entered a brave new world when guys are expected to participate at bridal showers. Was your son or the father of the bride in attendance?
I’ll say. When I was growing up it was the bride’s family and friends who threw bridal showers. Not the groom’s. Maybe circumstances here. No daughters of your own? When we toss away protocol one does know what to expect for a given occasion.:doh:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Greg, we have entered a brave new world when guys are expected to participate at bridal showers. Was you son or the father of the bride in attendance?

I thought your offer for self quarantine was a graceful way of saying "I don't want to be a spreader. I'll sacrifice."

Sounds like a different perspective was had by the lady of the house.

Sometimes it happens. Compromise.

Best of luck. Consider your self lucky... your not the father of the bride where not only do you need to be at all the showers you get to pay for the experience. It is a duty one serves for having daughters, no questions asked.
No, my son who is getting married and his brother (best man) and the rest of the groomsmen were in Portland Maine, having a unique bachelor party. The groom is in yellow and his brother is at the other end of the line. Sounds like they had a blast.
AC574376-F0FE-44DA-9A27-18D2ADC4AFE5.jpeg

Greg