Sailing on Lake Wylie SC with a Double Head Sail

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
Looks fun with all that sail area!!

I'm curious & interested in your lazy-jack / lazy-bag you have on your main!!
I've thought about that and would like to hear your thoughts on it.
...with photos and explanations of the system, if you don't mind?

Thanks!

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
While we are at it

I'll be sailing to Antigua on the Marie Elena. Http://www.sailmarieelena.com

Leaving from Annapolis on the 30 and then picking up a 3rd crew-member at Hampton Virginia.

**********************************************************************************************
From Captain Nick

Ahoy friends
It's that time of year again. I'll be sailing from Hampton, Va on or about Nov. 1 depending on our departure weather window. It's looking like a 10-12 day trip to Jolly Harbor in Antigua. I'll be using Jolly Harbor initially as my base of operations for another winter of snow avoidance and Caribbean island hopping.
My trusty hardy boys for this trip are Bill and Hershey.
You can track our progress via the Ham radio Internet site MMSN.ORG
I'll be checking in most days and the webmaster will plot our location on a chart for you to see on this website. Here's what you need to do.
Google MMSN.ORG
On the lower left hand side of the home page press: ShipTrak
Enter this Call sign in the Call Sign box: KC2WRH
In the drop down box to the right of Call Sign showing All Positions choose: last 30 days
A chart will appear with our positions after Nov 1st. as red dots. You may have to move the chart around to show the US east coast but that's easy to do.
Have a great winter!

Well, Unfortunately, I will have to return to NY ( flying) a few days after getting to Antigua. Nick stays there for the whole winter.

Hershey

Mar 11, 2014
Hershey Now that sounds like fun... But your right once you get to the Islands it will be tough to go back up north.

As to the Stack Pack. I have had three on 3 of my four Catalina's. They don't do anything for racing but as a cruiser I swear my them. My first was a Mack Pack on my Cat 30 then went to one from Airforce sails on My Catalina 22. Didn't really like the Battens that they say hold the cover open so went back to a in the Mack Pack for the Capri. First the Jacks for the Mack Pack Go around the Boom vs attached to the Batten and because of this If you want to roll up the cover to race or go off shore or just want it out of the way you can push the cover down to the boom wrap it some Velcro ties that stay hidden in the cover attached to the jacks and its basically laying against the boom completely out of the way. It looks so much different than the picture above You couldn't do that in any way with the one from Airforce, which is just like the one from Doyle. I've attached a picture of the Boat sailing with the Asym and the Stack Pack laying against the boom
The Jacks are adjustable and if you want you can loosen them and pull them to the mast say when your sailing in light air and you do care about getting an extra 1/4 knot.
The jacks attach to the mast at a point a foot or so above the spreaders and fan out from there down to four points on each side of the boom. The only draw back for jacks is that you do have to go head to wind when you hoist the sail until you clear the second Batten.
It makes use of the sail as simple as opening a zipper and attaching the halyard. When you finish you blow the Halyard and the sail falls into the cover. Give it a few tucks and zip it up and your done

Attachments

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay

:shock: ...that's some gutsy vertical sailing!!!
What waterfall is that?
And did you have to motor-sail?
...or was the spinnaker enough to pull you up?

:D

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Damn that could be MY spin sail for my S2!

He slinks off, because any opportunity to post pictures of his boat are a good one.