Sailing Movies?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Any recommendations for sailing movies? Now that I'm in my own I could use some entertainment. Not really into the disaster kind of thing, too depressing! But any recommendations, for things I might watch on Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc., are appreciated!

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
If you do a search for "Team Malizia" on YouTube, you'll see some great foiling footage during the ocean race. Although they're not full length movies, they're fun to watch. Here are two good ones.

Last edited:

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
There are always the classics, Mutiny on the Bounty, The Sea Wolf, Moby Dick, etc.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
two days ago, I was bored and searched Amazon for “sailing movies” and a bunch were listed. check out “the Dove”

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Any recommendations for sailing movies? Now that I'm in my own I could use some entertainment. Not really into the disaster kind of thing, too depressing! But any recommendations, for things I might watch on Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc., are appreciated!
Here's one of my favorites:

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I thought "True Spirit" based on Jessica Watson's nonstop unassisted circumnavigation was very good. Even though I knew the ending ;)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I think you'd do much better trying to find audio books. Very few really good sailing movies are on video. There are several excellent series that are on tape which may be available online such as the Hornblower series, which I find more fun than any sailing movies.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
You can find lots of movies, audiobooks, and ebooks from your public library. Especially ones you would have to pay extra for on Amazon.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I think you'd do much better trying to find audio books. Very few really good sailing movies are on video. There are several excellent series that are on tape which may be available online such as the Hornblower series, which I find more fun than any sailing movies.
I've read the whole Patrick O'Brian Master and Commander series - 21 books, I think - but I haven't touched Hornblower yet. Maybe that's coming up.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You can find lots of movies, audiobooks, and ebooks from your public library. Especially ones you would have to pay extra for on Amazon.
I'm too lazy! Ha, ha. Plus, since my move, I'm not even sure where the DVD player is. So, it's a steaming life for me....

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Try “Dead Calm.” Then there’s “Master and Commander” and “The Wake of the Red Witch.” Also, “White Squall.”

Last edited:

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
I'm too lazy! Ha, ha. Plus, since my move, I'm not even sure where the DVD player is. So, it's a steaming life for me....
No DVD player needed, it's streaming or download the same as Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc. You just need an account at a public library. Take a look at Hoopla and Overdrive. Hoopla is mostly movies, TV shows, and audiobooks. Overdrive is mostly audiobooks and ebooks, most of the ebooks are through Amazon for a kindle, though you can use a phone or other computer instead.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
most audio books are streamed, too

BrianH

Feb 14, 2005
Hunter 44 LaSalle, MI
I've read the whole Patrick O'Brian Master and Commander series - 21 books, I think - but I haven't touched Hornblower yet. Maybe that's coming up.
X2 I read the set too fast the first time. I reread it the 2nd time to appreciate more of the details!

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
The trouble with 'dead calm' is that the sailing footage is not credible for the most part...

One I don't see mentioned is 'Wind".. it's a semi fictional story about the old 12 Meter America's Cup era. It was filmed using some surviving 12 meters in some pretty good breezes. Lightweight plot but actually some of the better 'under sail' footages around.