sailing Lake of the Ozarks

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
The Lake of the Ozarks looks beautiful, but treacherous.

-Will (Dragonfly)
i sail the upper right corner of that map usually.

the pirate ship is the Calypso from Jolly Roger's (a lake bar).

The lake is long and usually less than a mile wide. It is an old river bed surrounded by hills and bluffs. she's not always a cake walk to sail.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
you know it!
I'm a fan of the Netfliks series (what a cliff hanger the last episode,...).

Some of the on the water footage - while beautiful - makes me wonder if motorboat wakes make the sailing, challenging?

Aug 10, 2020
a lot of it was shot in Alabama from what I was told. I am not a TV person.... I watched most of the first season. Many locals took offense to the series, as it didn't accurately portray the region..... it's fictional folks.

The wakes here get pretty crazy. 3,4,5 ft tall at times with no pattern to them. they bounce off the sea walls and bluffs and roll right back across the lake. I do not sail on busy weekends, but am fortunate enough to live here and enjoy the weekdays, fall and spring.

My biggest trouble here is the lack of sailboats. People do not see them often and do not understand right of way, the fact I cannot immediately stop or change course. That and people are curious. They want to get close and wave, ask questions, watch.... often at inopportune times. They also tend to trajectory navigate. They are watching you sail and unknowingly keep getting closer and closer.

Those previous complaints are also one of my favorite things. sailboats are unassuming and approachable. I get lots of rental waverunners and rental boats approach me asking questions, directions, etc. At times that can be kinda cool.

I have plans of retiring and sailing the oceans. I think this lake is a good learning ground. lot's of traffic, constantly changing winds, narrow channels, lots of tacking.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The wakes here get pretty crazy. 3,4,5 ft tall at times with no pattern to them. they bounce off the sea walls and bluffs and roll right back across the lake. I do not sail on busy weekends, but am fortunate enough to live here and enjoy the weekdays, fall and spring.

My biggest trouble here is the lack of sailboats. People do not see them often and do not understand right of way, the fact I cannot immediately stop or change course. That and people are curious. They want to get close and wave, ask questions, watch.... often at inopportune times. They also tend to trajectory navigate. They are watching you sail and unknowingly keep getting closer and closer.

Those previous complaints are also one of my favorite things. sailboats are unassuming and approachable. I get lots of rental waverunners and rental boats approach me asking questions, directions, etc. At times that can be kinda cool.

I have plans of retiring and sailing the oceans. I think this lake is a good learning ground. lot's of traffic, constantly changing winds, narrow channels, lots of tacking.
After your description, if you learn to sail there, you'll be ready to sail anywhere! Post some pics, it's an intriguing area.

I used to sail many small inland lakes on small boats. Motorboats were the only problem but I could usually find times or more remote areas to sail.

Aug 10, 2020
After your description, if you learn to sail there, you'll be ready to sail anywhere! Post some pics, it's an intriguing area.

I used to sail many small inland lakes on small boats. Motorboats were the only problem but I could usually find times or more remote areas to sail.
I will have to take some more pics. If you've never been here, its like no other lake.

Attachments

Sep 16, 2020
Islander 28 LOTO
I sail at LOTO out of OYC. I currently have a sailing membership, but as they are not renewing the program next year, I'm looking for a boat. I have access to their boats through May 31, 2021. Always looking for crew.

Sep 16, 2020
Islander 28 LOTO
OYC has currently a 32 foot Catalina and a 22ft cat to sail. I have the 32 footer for Saturday. I'm looking for an Islander 28 ready to sail. Do you trailer or do you have a slip? I'm single handing friends out on the 28th Saturday who are very conscientious about social distancing, but I could possibly crew with you on Sunday.

Aug 10, 2020
OYC has currently a 32 foot Catalina and a 22ft cat to sail. I have the 32 footer for Saturday. I'm looking for an Islander 28 ready to sail. Do you trailer or do you have a slip? I'm single handing friends out on the 28th Saturday who are very conscientious about social distancing, but I could possibly crew with you on Sunday.
i single hand usually. Small boat is easier that way.
I will be out Saturday morning! Keep an eye out for me, and wave! I am pretty sure I know what their 32 looks like. I am in an old green sailboat, white deck, white sails..

Do you need crew on Saturday? I would love some experience on a bigger boat and will gladly distance myself from your guests and wear a mask

I dock at a friend's house with my little boat, and have a slip lined up for my bigger boat when ready.

Sep 16, 2020
Islander 28 LOTO
i single hand usually. Small boat is easier that way.
Not Saturday as I think it will already be a challenge to social distance. I'm looking at a few days during one week in Oct and will be open to crew. Normally I am weekend only but need to take some leave before I lose it. Lol. Can you sail during the week or weekend only?

Aug 10, 2020
Not Saturday as I think it will already be a challenge to social distance. I'm looking at a few days during one week in Oct and will be open to crew. Normally I am weekend only but need to take some leave before I lose it. Lol. Can you sail during the week or weekend only?
pretty much any afternoon. I am self employed so my schedule is flexible. Just give me some heads up.

Sep 16, 2020
Islander 28 LOTO
So that was you! Not sure where I got the Mike part. Lol. I live in Rolla so won't be back for a bit. We'll try to hook up then.