Sailing in winds of 20 mph gusts to 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Does anybody have a picture of the sheer pin setup

Does anybody have a picture of the sheer pin setup? I'm sure my buddy will be sceptical if I tell him to drill a hole through his "new" boat! ...RickM...

Jun 4, 2004
- - Central Florida
Well, my boat

is aways away so I can't run out and take a picture -- I imagine someone does have one.

Jun 6, 2004
Hunter 260 Scottsdale, Arizona
Furling Mast

Two years ago we got tired of rounding-up in winds greater than 15 knots and furling the main made perfomance bad. After an engineering study of the problem, my solution was to install a furling mast with a new sail and boom, resulting a lower center of effort and less weatherhelm; the wheel doesn't move when you let go of it. I had to engineer a new and better mast raising system. The new rig uses the existing standing rig; ie. shrouds and spreaders. Furling the main a few feet as necessary in strong winds actually speeds-up the boat, with no more worry of rounding-up. Also, I modified our rudder soon after we got our 2002 260 by replacing the nylon disks with 0.25 inch thick black rubber disks and re-bored the bushing hole for a new and tighter bushing fit to the bolt. Although not needed, I also installed the factory nylon pin. Nils Anderson "Godspeed"

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
H260 Shear Pin Setup

Go to this link for pics of the H260 shear pin setup. Hole is 3.8" but I've found it useful to make it slightly larger to make it easier to pin. Get the pins from IdaSailor -they come in packs of two for $5.00. http://kobernus.com/hunter260_web/H260_rudder/index.html

Jun 2, 2004
Thanks, George,

The H26 plates are quite different, but I get the idea. What is the core of the H26 rudder made of? Is there an issue of water getting inseide? Some people use BIC pen barrels for the shear pin. Is the trick to drill the right size hole so the pen is snug enough not to fall out? ...RickM...

Aug 11, 2006
H260 Pin

When I was in Key West recently I ran out of pins. Kept hitting the bottom. I tried the BIC pen thing and it worked to keep the rudder down, but anything 3/8" size would do the job. Pressure on the rudder keeps the pin from sliding out. However, the whole point is to release the rudder when you touch bottom. One pin lasted me two years in my own waters...It was when I sailed in the thin waters of Key West that I started using them. I'd spend the $5.00

D

Denis

Auto Release

At the suggestion of somebody on this site, instead of using the shear pin which requires drilling an already weak design, and which can be somewhat difficult to insert, I installed an Auto Release clam cleat. It works great to hold the rudder down or up and requires only one hole to be drilled where the current horn cleat is. You also have to replace the downhaul line with a 3/16" line as the cleat will not handle the larger original line.

Aug 11, 2006
H260 rudder Core

The H260 is a great boat, but the rudder is the weak spot - In a attempt to make the rudder float, Hunter worked with Foss Foam to come up with a new design that was easier to bring up. Hunter has been great about replacing rudders for me. Check this link: http://kobernus.com/hunter260_web/H260_rudder/index.html Ida Sailor is selling a lot of rudders for the H260.

Jun 2, 2004
Auto release is interesting

...it would remain easily adjustable for shallow-water areas, getting close to the trailer when retrieving, etc. ...RickM...

R

Reudi Ross

autorelease cleat

I use one and it works great. clamcleat #CL257 West Marine part #1158443. I use 6 mm (1/4")line with it. Do a google search for "clamcleat CL257" and you can find it cheaper than WM.

Jun 2, 2004
Auto-release upside-down

On my H23.5 and my buddy's H26, the auto-release clam cleat would have to go upside-down under the tiller. I found a web page showing this, using an elastic to keep the line from falling out. Reudi, Dennis - are yours mounted upside-down like this? ...RickM...

T

Toomas

Thank you Rick ...

... I just bought an autorelease cleat for the rudder and I was wondering how to attach it - now I got some good advice through the link you presented. Toomas

R

Reudi Ross

on a 260

the line that holds the rudder down comes up through the hollow rudder post and over the top of the tiller, so mine is on top. Also, put some loctite on the screw that holds the cam in place. I had the cam fall off when trailering once but got lucky and found it on the cockpit deck.

D

Denis

On top

I have a wheel steering, so mine is mounted on top of the bracket that would hold a tiller. I just took off the horn cleat that was used to hold the downhaul and mounted the Auto release cleat in its place.

M

mime@tiac.net

Deep Second Reef, Boomkicker, and Traveler

Last year I bought a used H-240. As I sail a lot alone in heavy air the first thing I did was take the main to a sailmaker and add a deep second reef. Then I removed the topping lift and put on a "Boomkicker" vang. That left the topping lift boom fittings free for the second reef. I also had the sailmaker put slots at the correct locations so that the slab reefs can be properly tied down. I then put on a removable, rope, midcockpit traveler. Putting in the eyeshackles on the port and starboard rails was a hard task, but the result is great. For a gentle afternoon sail I do not rig the traveler. In heavy air it and the deep second reef make it a new boat. Give it some thought. (For the past 20 years I sailed my own water ballasted 32' sloop.) Oh yes, I put on Lazy Jacks which are helpful reefing and generally handling the main.

C

Corky

winds

We often, even this weekend, sal in thsse winds. Saturday I started with a full main then reefed it. Sunday in 20-25 winds. I just put out part of my jib and did fine. Not sure if this helps you. These rigs should sail ok with main only. Mine seems to. You might have try jib only and then reefed in really high winds. corky( I am the rattle snake story-Open transom)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 22 Wichita Ks
try this

I sail a Hunter22 in Ks. I have found that I can get good handaling with the main only when I place weight in the bow. I carry 170 lb of free weights in the bow under the V-berth. This extra weight forces the bow down to cut into the waves instead of being bounced around by them. Try sailing with out your head sail and have some one go sit on the bow. This will tell you if the extra weight will help. Jim Honeyman

Status
Not open for further replies.