Sailing in the time of Coronavirus

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
We can reset our clocks together tomorrow when my wife gets released from the hospital, my foolproof plan to minimize exposure exploded in my face when she had to go to ER a week ago. Haven't seen her since I dropped her at the door, phone calls only, they been on lock down. Should be able to go sailing in a couple days, we don't have to get near anyone to get on the boat and shove off.

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Sailing in the time of coronavirus is a story that's unfolding. Yesterday walking the dogs around the harbor we noticed several docks and the work boat at the only boatyard in the harbor were floating. Walking over the bridge above the landing (where I store Xmas), 3 workers from the yard were removing shrinkwrap from the remaining docks prepping them to move to the boatyard (less than 100 yards away).

The 3 yard workers (I know them) were working together, but about 10 feet apart. No masks but I suspect with the global shortage, and the more pressing need inside the sheds where sanding is ongoing (this yard is also a large wooden boat builder), it's best just to keep a safe distance to minimize transmission.

All restaurants, schools etc have been closed for a couple weeks. Essential businesses like grocery remain open but have adjusted hours for seniors. Take away of prepared food and supplies are all available at curbside and delivery service which has grown in our small community. My local lumber/hardware supply remains open (no masks) and I can use it (if I need) without getting close to anyone. Deliveries are still available.

Yesterday afternoon the Governor of Maine was on PBS outlining new precautions. It's recommended all non essential businesses close to the public. But the recommendations mostly apply to places the public uses. The boatyard (this thread is about sailing) can easily comply if they can practice distancing inside and in the yard. I won't be able to go in and get something but I could simply ask somebody and they would drop it off at my boat.

But this is the state of my harbor, today. While we have 1 reported positive Covid-19, we're not an island. We're on a mainline from urban points South. There is much in the press about limiting the upcoming exodus of 'summer people', but in truth, that is always happening.

Common sense tells me we're still climbing up the 'curve' that we're attempting to flatten here on the coast of Maine. I have my eye on urban areas to the south like Boston and NYC for predictions.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Sailing in the time of coronavirus is a story that's unfolding. Yesterday walking the dogs around the harbor we noticed several docks and the work boat at the only boatyard in the harbor were floating. Walking over the bridge above the landing (where I store Xmas), 3 workers from the yard were removing shrinkwrap from the remaining docks prepping them to move to the boatyard (less than 100 yards away).

The 3 yard workers (I know them) were working together, but about 10 feet apart. No masks but I suspect with the global shortage, and the more pressing need inside the sheds where sanding is ongoing (this yard is also a large wooden boat builder), it's best just to keep a safe distance to minimize transmission.

All restaurants, schools etc have been closed for a couple weeks. Essential businesses like grocery remain open but have adjusted hours for seniors. Take away of prepared food and supplies are all available at curbside and delivery service which has grown in our small community. My local lumber/hardware supply remains open (no masks) and I can use it (if I need) without getting close to anyone. Deliveries are still available.

Yesterday afternoon the Governor of Maine was on PBS outlining new precautions. It's recommended all non essential businesses close to the public. But the recommendations mostly apply to places the public uses. The boatyard (this thread is about sailing) can easily comply if they can practice distancing inside and in the yard. I won't be able to go in and get something but I could simply ask somebody and they would drop it off at my boat.

But this is the state of my harbor, today. While we have 1 reported positive Covid-19, we're not an island. We're on a mainline from urban points South. There is much in the press about limiting the upcoming exodus of 'summer people', but in truth, that is always happening.

Common sense tells me we're still climbing up the 'curve' that we're attempting to flatten here on the coast of Maine. I have my eye on urban areas to the south like Boston and NYC for predictions.
I saw this morning a nurse from Waldo County Hospital who lives in Belfast has tested positive for the virus... Sucks, she was just doing her job.

It's going to be an interesting summer for the whole country, not just Maine.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
PA is on lockdown. boating is not essential to life says the gov. so all marinas are shut down til who knows when. i'm varnishing the finished 8' long rowable sailable towable chesapeake light craft eastport pram dinghy i built in the basement. 'the eagle scout'. over the years i've collected all kinds of little bronze decorative and utilitarian pieces , padeyes, blocks, tangs, etc. which i'm intending to install. i'm making closed cell foam cushions for her , a sunbrella rubrail, and also a 'winter cover' ( in case the basement starts to leak. ) under lockdown, i couldn't drive to the water to launch it once it's done unless i want a $300 ticket. so it will have a lot more of varnish and bronze gewgaws on it when i'm done being 'socially isolated.' maybe even a turbocharged homebuilt engine , who knows.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Unless there is still a total lock down til May, I plan to haul the boat to the boat yard by myself. I raise the mast myself, though last year I had 2 helpers. Once launched, I put it on my dock where it stays til fall. I solo almost exclusively and have no contact with anyone going to the boat, sailing and putting it back on the dock. The boat name gives a hint to social distancing, Serenity. You only get serenity if you are alone.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Listening to NHPR, which I keep on in the chicken coop (bears are known to eschew intelligent conversation about socially conscientious issues, so I have very well informed chickens), they were hoping the governor would make an official declaration for a statewide shutdown. Subcontractors and others who are self-employed, can't get paid leave to self- isolate. So, without an official order to stay home, there's no financial support to make that possible.

It feels like we are in the middle of a sci-fi dystopian movie.

Zombies are next.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Subcontractors and others who are self-employed, can't get paid leave to self- isolate.
My subs have shifted their work schedule to allow for outside work [spring has sprung here].
I offered several jobs to them to make sure they are making money.
Ans: Thank you, but we got it under control.:clap:

There are several ways to help them, if you can permit them in or outside for your needed home repair.
_____
By me...
1) I recently hired one to pressure wash our boat.
2) Clean roof, rake all leaves [put on my compost pile]
3) Repair small leak on Laundry Mat roof
4) Paint empty rental house.

So be creative to help them self-isolate, while they still work for you...
Jim...

PS: My area is accustomed to neighbor helping neighbor. Katrina hit here and we all pitched in.:)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor

A day later, we see 'Ed' enjoying his lunch break outside a boat shed in the sun. I ask about boat launching.

"You mean launching escape pods?", he jokes. It's business as usual he thinks - right now. The boatyard, like my biz(building care) are considered essential.

It feels like that as we watch a mooring barge out in the harbor setting moorings. Two guys on the barge working together, but with some deck space to spread apart look to have most of their moorings set for the season. Many of those moorings are commercial/fishing so fall under essential biz.

Local news reports that our town manager is requesting people arriving from out of the neighborhood begin a self imposed 14 day quarantine. There's word that summer people, many that own second homes, are arriving early. I don't see it in around the harbor but don't doubt that news.

This screen shot of the latest reported positive infections shows an east coast epicenter in NYC.

The good news may be that 'social distancing' in NYC may be reducing the infection rate. The bad news from NYC is that medical resources are maxed out and they may be losing the most vulnerable to the infection that they may have been able to save if the resources were available.

While I sit at the last Eastward tiny dot on this infection map, I can see the trend advancing. Much of the coast south of here, is already changed for recreational boating I think.

We'll know more tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.02.36 AM.png

• Helpful
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Spent a solo few sunny days on the water late last week in the San Juan Islands along with several other boaters. Even managed some hours of sail time. Lightly cold at night, but Wallas got a workout keeping the interior warm. Even completed a boat added-storage project amongst watching movies, snoozing, sipping from a vintage box wine and social distancing.

All this time away from my school bus driving job helped finish several home projects that have been lingering below radar for a period of time. Many more honey dos to go, tackling each one she wants from her endless list. Best get busy livin, eh?

Last edited:

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Odd how different states view outdoor activities. Both Virginia (where I live) and Maryland (where the boat is) declared that outdoor activities which allow social distancing were permitted. So the golf courses and marinas are open. Except the county I am in (Fairfax) closed the public golf courses for some unknown reason. $19 for nine holes is a great way to relax.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

I certainly hope to be sailing this season. Just yesterday I finished sanding off the old bottom paint. Today I ordered new bottom paint and stuff to make the topsides pretty. I hope to launch in late April or early may. I really hope the boatyard is open.

My boat is on a mooring and my dink is at a dock. I don't need to see anyone or contact anyone in order to sail. My wife and kids can some with me (or stay home). We're all living in the same house anyway.

So far, many / most big races that I know of have been cancelled: Newport - Bermuda, American Yacht Club Spring series ,etc.

I hope that by summer the sailing situation is more or less back to normal.

I have no idea how this will affect marina's, brokers and manufacturers. Will any still be around next year?

Barry
Old Mans is open... dropping moorings now. I will be in by second week in April. Sanding and changing a thru hull fitting this weekend!
See you out on the water.

Greg

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
I had the honor of taking my daughter down to S. Kingston, RI to clean out her dorm room at URI this morning. One major observation was the traffic. Very, very light through Fitchburg & Worcester MA. Even in Providence. It was like being out on an early Sunday morning. I think many are staying home, heeding the recommendation to lay low. With the exception of every Home Depot I passed most other parking lots were vacant.

On our way off the campus we stopped at the CVS so Becca could purchase stuff on her Ram Card because she's going to loose whatever money is on it. There was car from NY in the parking lot, the manager would not let the people in the store pointing at the sign on the door. I noticed every store in the Emporium had the same sign on it. I guess this how one community is going to deal with the onslaughter of summer people.
20200326_110045.jpg

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 34MKII 1717 Merritt Island, FL
I was out sailing last Sunday. "Stay at home order starts tomorrow". Going to the boat tomorrow to wax and polish.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
A day later, we see 'Ed' enjoying his lunch break outside a boat shed in the sun. I ask about boat launching.

"You mean launching escape pods?", he jokes. It's business as usual he thinks - right now. The boatyard, like my biz(building care) are considered essential.

It feels like that as we watch a mooring barge out in the harbor setting moorings. Two guys on the barge working together, but with some deck space to spread apart look to have most of their moorings set for the season. Many of those moorings are commercial/fishing so fall under essential biz.

Local news reports that our town manager is requesting people arriving from out of the neighborhood begin a self imposed 14 day quarantine. There's word that summer people, many that own second homes, are arriving early. I don't see it in around the harbor but don't doubt that news.

This screen shot of the latest reported positive infections shows an east coast epicenter in NYC.

The good news may be that 'social distancing' in NYC may be reducing the infection rate. The bad news from NYC is that medical resources are maxed out and they may be losing the most vulnerable to the infection that they may have been able to save if the resources were available.

While I sit at the last Eastward tiny dot on this infection map, I can see the trend advancing. Much of the coast south of here, is already changed for recreational boating I think.

We'll know more tomorrow.

View attachment 176457
Interesting chart but can't conclude it's spreading since the rate of testing is increasing. What was the exposure rate in prior years?
Answer: Since they weren't testing for COVID last year, no one knows.
The real question is what's the difference between all respiratory illnesses this year vs. prior years.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Likely affecting my sailing plans as I was hoping to do the Vancouver 360 with John et.al. I've no idea yet how it could affect my boat launch, originally scheduled for May 15th. I have some work to do on the boat, originally planned to be getting on in April, but New York has strict travel restrictions at the moment. My landscaper just called saying he can't cut my grass, it's a $2000 fine if caught.

How much more it restricts my sailing this summer, time will only tell.

dj

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My marina is municipally owned...so maybe that explains why they closed...government knows nothing about running a business.

I launched on Tuesday before the Indiana lockdown went into effect, assuming the marina workers would be furloughed....but I never considered that they would bar me from getting to my boat.

I realized last night that with a boat or dinghy , I could enter the marina from the water, and I doubt they would ever know I was there....so that is plan B if they won’t let me in the front gate.

Greg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
So, what happens to live-aboard? Are they still considered locked in if they go for a sail and return to their slip? If not, how do they pump out?

When we lived aboard, we still used the marina facilities. Laundry mats are hard to avoid when living aboard. I'd also be interested to know how the airborne virus does around fuel dock and gas stations? Do the fumes have any affect on it? A contaminated door handle is a real problem, but what about the gas pumps? Maybe there's an inherent germocide surrounding refined fuel stations.

-Will (Dragonfly)