Sailing in the Puget Sound

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Hey folks, The Admiral and I ar moving to Washington state and I'm wondering about sailing in the sound. How long is the sailing season, are there a lot of gunkholing destinations, do th strong currents cause scheduling issues and anything youall would like to opine on that would be of interest to a neophite Sound sailor.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Tides and currents are key! There is a lifetime of things to see from Olympia all the way up to Glacier Bay, AK. Take a look at the currents at "The Narrows", heading south to Tacoma, Agate Pass and Deception Pass to name a few of the biggies. The wind is fickle, usually the breeze picks up in the afternoon when the marine layer melts away. A pilot house is great if you like to go out year around.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Hey Bill
The season is as long as you wish to make it. Yes currents might dictate how late you can sleep in or the path you take, but when you time it right it can help you move on both the ebb and flow.

Get a “current atlas of Juan de Fuca Straight to Straight of Georgia” learn to use it and you’ll be planning trips like a native - catching back eddies et al.

A Nexus card held ease things with customs both ways.

Enjoy

Les

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Best cruising grounds in the world IMHO! Get a forced air heater and good dodger and cruise all year long. plan your comings and going to work with the currents not against them. You will never be able to explore everything. The area is far to vast to offer anything more specific than that without knowing where you plan to moor your boat.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Download a free copy of Waggoner Cruising guide. What part of the state are you moving to?

Jun 6, 2006
Thanks Mark. Moving to the south end of the Sound, Tacoma area.
How about holding and (not wanting to get into yet another which anchor is best discussion) anchors youall use?

May 20, 2016
Boy that’s a subject with more mine fields than Trump or religion. I personally have a Mantis. I had a Bruce before. And have a fortress as a backup anchor. A spool of 500’ 1/2” poly is also good for areas you need to stern tie to trees ( way up in Canada). Several friends still love their danforth. But any of the new style Ronca, Manson Supream, Mantus All work fantastic.

South Sound is an area I plan on exploring further. In the summer not very crowded as they tend to migrate to the islands.

Les

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Get a “current atlas of Juan de Fuca Straight to Straight of Georgia” learn to use it and you’ll be planning trips like a native - catching back eddies et al.
Like this:

Canada Current Atlas Cheat Sheet Source
https://www.starpath.com/catalog/books/1806.htm
How To find TIDE Tables
Go here: Volume 5
http://www.tides.gc.ca/eng/data/predictions/2017#vol

Bill, I moved to Vancouver Island, BC in 2016. It is lovely here. Endless places to visit. I don't think Waggoners is available for free online anymore, but pm me and I'll send you the PDF. Worth reading to answer your questions. Has an entire chapter called How to Cruise here.

Anchors? Seriously, from you! A Rocna, of course. Answer basically is this: less anchorages in WA State, more marina to marina, anchorages are deeper, much deeper. More anchorages further north you go. I don't have a windlass, wish I did. I've found some 20 foot anchorages and just came back from one.

Heat. A must have. I barely get by with a catalytic heater, LUST after a diesel system. Les, John and I did a March 1 Winter Cruise this year, but opted for marinas to plug in for heat.

Season: up to you and your systems, you can go all year, no pulling the boat out for winter.

Distances: It's HUGE.

You'll love it. It's like being young all over again: you'll know jack shi*t about anything and all the "wizened sailor" stuff you thought you knew that made you king of the hill where you came from means absolutely nothing. It's FUN to start all over again. :)

May 20, 2016
Hey Stu. I plan on being at Lopez for the forth maybe a couple days more. Then come your way, any plans before Thetus?? Maybe we could meet up.

Jun 6, 2006
that was my "fear" Stu. currents on the Chesapeake is a yawn type issue. anchoring in mud in no current and tides of less than a foot....... a great place to learn but......not much of a challenge.
What type of bottom do you normally encounter?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
What type of bottom do you normally encounter?
Depends where you are. Any thing from sticky clay to big round rocks. So far this trip I'm getting a lot of mud and shell but I know that will change as I move north.

May 20, 2016
that was my "fear" Stu. currents on
I was apprehensive about going thru some of the “scary” passages despite going thru wires ones. As a kid - so went miles out of my way to avoid deception pass or La Conner. @jssailem cured me of that when we did a sail together and went thru deception when it was runnin 7+ kts. No problems. Same with La Conner and the “ditch” easy once you’ve done it or go thru with someone who has.

In your area around Tacoma the Narrows can move the water, but it’s really wide so no sweat. Agate pass mentioned above is narrower but just watch the current (DeepZoom.com or a current atlas). I’ve sat off point Wilson doing all I’ve 1.5 SOG for what seems like hours - but that is not common if watching the current.

Planning trips is more complicated. @jssailem uses Costal Explorer (Navigator??) from Rosepoint as you can set current locations for various legs of the trip. Most common nav apps ignore current

Les

Jun 6, 2006
OK, just downloaded the OpenCPN chart files for WA.
Clearly you either anchor REAL close to shore I (and end up aground???) or I'm going to need significantly more anchor rode than I'm used to.
How much rode do youall carry?

May 20, 2016
I carry 120’ of 5/16 and 250’ of 5/8 8-plait and a 35lb Mantus. (36’ Catalina). This is a receipt upgrade. Was 15’ of 5/16 and 250 8-plait. Also 500’ of poly and 250’+20’ chain for backup

Les

Jun 6, 2006
Well all the concern about a 7knot hull speed and 6 knot current are a little bit of overreaction on my part. Apparently those 6 knot currents in "the narrows" are not that common. thoughts?

Jun 6, 2006
AAAHH yea Michale D. In the Bay you would NEVER think of anchoring in 60'. You would be in the navigation channel about 3 miles from shore if you could even find 60' depth. Everything north of the Annapolis bridge is less than 30'

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Bill

For traveling current tables are available via NOAA or complimentary handbooks from marinas like Swantown in Olympia. Very easy to figure out. There is really only one current area to concern yourself about in south sound -- Tacoma Narrows. The rest of south sound is pretty benign.

For anchoring - just keep in mind the tides in south sound are pretty big 12' or better.

If social is up your street - join South Sound Sailing Society ($45 annual) maybe meet up with one or two members. The bonus is reciprocal moorage all over the area.

Charles

Last edited: