Sailing in saltwater

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fresh Water Sailor

I have been sailing on Lake Michigan and am moving my boat to Florida. I have never sailed in salt water; I am wondering what I need to do to prepare my boat (a 31ft Irwin) for use in salt water? Do I have to do different maintenance on the engine it is Atomic Four 25hp water cooled? Is there a certain type of bottom paint I should be using? Any advice you could offer me would be greatly appreciated

Jun 13, 2005
Irwin Barefoot 37 CC Sloop Port Orchard WA
There are a few differences in operating in salt water but not much in the way of engine maintenance except that you won't have to winterize for freezing winters. Warm salt water does create more growth on the bottom so you should use a good bottom paint and apply several. I prefer an ablative type with the earlier coats a different color from the final so I can tell when it's time to repaint. Salt water has more of a battery effect on immersed metal so you are going to have to install shaft zincs and check them occasionally to insure they have not expired. If they wear away too fast at the dock you may have to dangle an additional grounded zinc over the side while at the dock. Some moorage areas are more electrically active than others. You might notice that the salt spray on your freshly shaved face might sting a little but other than that you shouldn't notice any difference.Have fun

Joe S

C

cpnbkwht

salt water sailing

I have been sailing on Lake Michigan and am moving my boat to Florida. I have never sailed in salt water; I am wondering what I need to do to prepare my boat (a 31ft Irwin) for use in salt water? Do I have to do different maintenance on the engine it is Atomic Four 25hp water cooled? Is there a certain type of bottom paint I should be using? Any advice you could offer me would be greatly appreciated
Your atomic four will not like saly water very much, best to install a fresh water cooling kit from either moyer marine or indigo electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.