Sailing from Oxnard to Marina del Rey, CA

Jun 30, 2014
Columbia 26 MKII Marina del Rey
I just bought a Columbia 26 at Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard. I am preparing it to sail down to a new slip at Marina del Rey in Los Angeles.

I would like as much information on this trek as possible. About how long will this sail take? Any useful/helpful information for before we push off or while we are out there? Anything to watch out for or be especially aware of? Anything extra we should bring other than the required safety equipment, warm layers, food, water?

Thanks ahead of time for any valuable information.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I believe the distance is about 45 n.mi. With a west to southwest wind at say 12 kt most of the day and with you averaging 5 to 6 kt over the ground, you should be able to make it in 7 to 9 hours. If you leave Oxnard around 0930 - 1000 you might avoid the easterly wind usually present in the early mornings which would likely force you to motor. Check the Oxnard weather daily beginning 2-3 days before departing to learn the wind pattern of the mornings. When rounding Pt. Dume be sure to keep the red stand-off buoy there well to port (North) of you. Other recommended equipment is a paper nautical chart of the cruise area, a pair of good quality 7 x 50 binoculars, a working VHF marine radio, a hand-held (or other) GPS, suitable ground tackle (anchor & chain) with at least 300' of 3/8" (to 1/2") nylon rode, & a cell phone.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Yes the prevailing winds are in your favor. In the opposite direction the wind is right on your nose. We spent the night in Paradise Cove. It is a great anchorage just south of Point Dune. Shore access is easy in a dinghy or kayak or even swim to shore. Have lunch or dinner at the Beach Café where they make their Mojitos with real sugar cane. Barbara Streisand has a home open top of cliff, so you may see James Bolin (the muffler guy) out SUPping. It is probably one of the nicest family owned beaches in California. Best yet you don't have to pay the $40/day parking fees. They haven't figured out how to charge for anchoring.
Unless you really like fishing anchor away from the kelp beds just east of the pier, where it is clear. The wind will keep you out of the kelp beds most of the time. Last time the wind completely died in the middle of the night and the current carried us into the kelp. Pulling the anchor rode up was a struggle but not impossible.
I would suggest anchoring where the New Zealanders did a few of years ago in their Pacific raft crossing (see picture).
Here is a picture from Google Earth,Streisand's house, Point Dune, Dad with New Zealand Vaka Moana's (boats of the ocean)in background.

Attachments

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
If you need crew PM me with schedule.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
If you need crew PM me with schedule.
Same here, when are you coming? Where is your new slip? Don't forget to bring an appetite we have a place called Killer Shrimp that is my new favorite place in MDR. I will need a ride back up to Ventura to get my car.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Same here, when are you coming? Where is your new slip? Don't forget to bring an appetite we have a place called Killer Shrimp that is my new favorite place in MDR. I will need a ride back up to Ventura to get my car.
Take the Metro Link train. That's what we did when we bought our current boat in Oxnard and moved her to King Harbor.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Take the Metro Link train. That's what we did when we bought our current boat in Oxnard and moved her to King Harbor.
I still have to be invited...:D

Right now I'm debating Avalon vs Two Harbors for the 4th of July.