sailing from Chesapeake Bay to Lake Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

VAMOOSE

I will be sailing from the Chesapeake Bay to Lake Ontario, and I would like to get some feedback as to the best route to take and what interesting waypoints we might want to map out on our trip. My wife Margaret and I will set out in late May of this year. Any feedback will be appreciated from members that may have done this trip. Thanks for your feedback, Lamar Wingate VAMOOSE S295

Attachments

G

Gord

Lady Simcoe

Hi, Did this trip Chesapeak to Delaware to New York City. Stay at 79th boat basin for a week and enjoy New York City for only $20.00 per night ar bargian. Spend some time exploring the Hudson River a must stop is Bannerman's Island Arsonal and West Point. Then explore the Erie Canal and take the Oswego Canal to Lake Erie. You will have a blast don't hurry. Gord Z.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
79th Street Boat Basin in NYC

It has been a while since you did the trip Gord. The transient mooring rate is up to $30/night now with transient dockage (slip?) $2.75/ft. This is a NY City Parks dept facility so bring all the paperwork you would need to check into a foreign port. NY City Parks also opened a 16 mooring field at Pier 40 (Houston St.) to which the same price and paperwork applies. There are more facilities for boaters at the 79th St. location though. For whatever paperwork hassle you have to go through the price is by far the cheapest alternative if you are going to stay a few days. The last time I kept my 27' sailboat at Liberty Landing Marina it cost around $120 for 1 night. Once north of NYC I would recommend Nyack Boat Club as a stopover point with transient mooring cost about $25/night. As you probably know, somewhere around Albany, NY you have to pull the mast for the duration of the canals. It would be a good idea to make up crutches fore and aft to support the mast. I am sure there are some cruising guides that cover this trip and there are some websites of people who have done the "Great Loop". This sounds like quite a fun adventure.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
I'm surprised

I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned anchoring for a night, or maybe two in behind the statue of Liberty. There is a very nice and protected anchorage just a short way behind the Lady. Spent the night in there, when we brought the Seidelman home from Keyport.

Status
Not open for further replies.