Sailing Brownsville TX

Mar 6, 2017
Bristol Corsair 24 Tampa
Just to pick on others brains for previous experiences sailing the San Padre Is. coast, Brownsville TX and perhaps down south that coast way down to Yucatan peninsula, ect... Tell me about the pros and cons pls.... Thx
CR

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I've always wondered about that too

I'd guess it is a long day from Corpus to the Mansfield Cut and another to Port Isabel

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Padre Island to Port Isabel normally is a windward sail. Once at Port I , I'd go outside and sail for Progreso, Yucatan. Normally you'll be close reaching. Last time I did the trip, we left from Aransas pass and sailed off shore to Progreso, hard on the wind then over to Isla Mujeres

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I've only ever flown over the area and always wondered if Laguna Madre was wide and deep enough to sail through comfortably. Saw lot's of shrimp boats and fishing boats but don't ever remember sailboats.

I've sailed the Gulf from Biloxi to Key West but not ever in the other direction. Never heard anyone describe it as a scenic trip.

Always wanted to hear more about the area

Oct 1, 2020
catalina 310 Coyote Point, San Mateo
I was stationed at Naval Air Station corpus and kitesurfed laguna madre for three years. It was very shallow except for the narrow channel cut out for barges. I’m currently sitting in Cancun on a layover (airline) and fly this route from south Texas coast to Cancun frequently. I’ve never seen a cruising sailboat along the coast, and I look often. It’s hundreds of miles of beach, warm waters, and steady south east breezes. I did get my ASA 101 in corpus, and I know the bay is great sailing, but don’t know of any making voyages south. I’ll keep looking:)

A6C5O7

Oct 8, 2020
West Wight Potter 19 Trailer Sailor
I was stationed at Naval Air Station corpus and kitesurfed laguna madre for three years. It was very shallow except for the narrow channel cut out for barges. I’m currently sitting in Cancun on a layover (airline) and fly this route from south Texas coast to Cancun frequently. I’ve never seen a cruising sailboat along the coast, and I look often. It’s hundreds of miles of beach, warm waters, and steady south east breezes. I did get my ASA 101 in corpus, and I know the bay is great sailing, but don’t know of any making voyages south. I’ll keep looking:)

What would you think the average water deapth is in Laguna? I have a boat that drafts 4'. Also have you ever been off shore of using the Brownsville port? Just wondering how rough it usually is or what conditions to look out for.

Thank you.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Regarding "rough"... Watch during the season (June to November) the storms coming up from the South West Caribbean. Those Tropical Storms and Hurricanes can modify your day sailing.

This might help answer your question. Pretty skinny water.
The Port of Brownsville maintains a deep channel to accomodate the shipping using th eport.
00CC6077-2A59-4011-9AA4-97D04ED384A7.jpeg

DF508B17-6137-4FEF-9819-F599867928CD.jpeg