sailing Again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jluke

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 1979 30' Mandeville, la
8 years after selling my 43' Beneteau Idylle and purchasing a 40' Bluewater powerboat, I have purchased a 1979 30' Hunter. The boat is in great condition and the Yanmar looks like it's new. I purchased the boat so that my son and son in law can spend time with my grandsons sailing and have the same wonderful experiences I had with my son on the water. While I'm keeping the powerboat, which is used as my camp on the water, I'm going to enjoy taking the sailboat out myself. I've been on this site every day for the last month, gaining some insight about what to look for and bought the boat yesterday. Saturday, the 3 of us are sailing the boat back the 30 miles to my marina and I'll have to boat just a few slips from my own. Thanks for all the wisdom and experiences posted on this site.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Congratulations! Sailing will always be in your blood. Let's see photos of the training vessel for your grandsons. What a great dad/granddad.

jluke

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 1979 30' Mandeville, la
pics of "Partly cloudy"

Congratulations! Sailing will always be in your blood. Let's see photos of the training vessel for your grandsons. What a great dad/granddad.
Has anyone moved the main traveler from in front of the entry hatch to the coachroof? I would like to add a bimini, but from the lines to the traveler to the backstay is 48", not much for a cover. Does it affect performance in any way, any difficulties? I thought about moving it up top, on blocks where it would straddle the sliding hatch cover.

Attachments

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
jluke, For years Hunter has mounted their travelers on the arches they build on all the new boats. This started in the 80's I think. You put the bimini under the arch. I don't know if that will help or not. With all the sailboat salvage yards in the south I'd think that might be an answer. A boom end traveller is the best mount for performance. You also can mount solor panels on the arvh in the future.
Enjoy the fuel cost savings of your new boat.
Ray

May 21, 2009
Hunter 30 Smithfield, VA
I don't have any good pictures of it, but I've added a Bimini to my H30 without relocating the traveller, and it works quite well without the expense of relocating the traveller.

Status
Not open for further replies.