sailing aeolus - 1966 caravelle yawl

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis

yes, i have a brake on the shaft. there is little room in the appature area. i would never cut into the rudder to enlarge. love my two bladed prop.

May 4, 2015
Jon, I noticed you removed the man salon table, or was it never there, or just for races??. Mine takes up a lot of room, pain to get by, great for seating 6 people, so I am curious how you manage with without it and eating ete...

Thanks Lloyd

May 25, 2012
Jon, I noticed you removed the man salon table, or was it never there, or just for races??. Mine takes up a lot of room, pain to get by, great for seating 6 people, so I am curious how you manage with without it and eating ete...

Thanks Lloyd
when i picked up the boat, in conn, for my father back in 74' the previous owner said that he had just put it back in the boat as he never used it. i didn't think about it and we had it in till 93' when i started doing the chicago mac races with aeolus. i took it out then and have never put back in. my upper berths came with added lee boards. i made lee cloths out of canvas for the racing for the lower bunks. used the cockpit pads on the cabin sole for sleeping too.
i like the space open way more than than the seldom use as a dinner table.
the table is in great shape stored all these years back at my house.
very easy to remove. try it, you'll like it.
on the hook with a full crew you can walk by when they are sleeping.
i will never put it back in. do not miss it at all.
this is how we eat

my brother

May 25, 2012
ice box: using one is a skill lost by most. i am still a ice box user. i never put anything in that has not been chilled. no one is allowed into it other than the person that packed it. it will easily keep fresh produce 'fresh' for a week or more. drinks are not kept in it. drinking cold drinks on a hot day makes you hotter in the long run. having the crew hump ice down the pier makes them feel useful. never throw ice in the box, always place lightly in an you will not be rebuilding it next winter. i always pack the box, it is not for a novice. prefer block ice over cube, but cube works nicely. dry ice works well too in a bank of cubes. i have a 'Y' valve on the bilge pump to drain, no one to work but me.
no need for all the electricity to operate a fridge.
old school :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
auto pilot: in 45 years i have not gone three miles using the autopilot while having the sails up. the alden is such a joy to helm, why would i not do that which is the most fun for me. aeolus tracks so well, balances so nicely, is so much fun to command, ........ we always hand steer while sailing.
that said, i do use the auto pilot when motoring.
again , no electrical draw.

May 25, 2012
perkins 107. two bladed prop. in calm. 2000 rpm 6.7 kts. in calm 2250 rpm 7.2 kts
i keep a clean bottom
aeolus does not back well at all. full keel with attached rudder. we man handle aeolus at the dock if we need to go astern. i never back into a slip. do not want the dock gawkers looking in.
i would be embarrassed to have a bow thruster on sailboat.

May 25, 2012
no dodger on aeolus. kills the helm view, is really only for motoring, slows the sailing, attracts posers that then get in the way of the crew doing the work of sailing the boat.
henri lloyd keeps me happy.

May 25, 2012
no windlass: on the great lakes, there is absolutely no reason to use chain for anchoring, none.
it also is allot of weight above the waterline that is also very near the bow. if we need to ,we run the rode back to the winches in the cockpit.
spinnaker flying, sail changes, look outs ... it would just be in the way
from a purely sailing consideration, it's a loser.
the kids love riding up at the bow, windlass would kill that.

May 25, 2012
fire place: on aeolus i have never burned wood. i load it with charcoal when used and use the damper to slow as much as possible. i saw tom was burning wood. that would sure smell nice.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Nice Jon,
Sunflower was a simple pure sailer too. Icebox, no auto-pilot, no windless, We put a dodger on after she was buried by a rogue wave and the main hatch was open. Her half-keel made backing a little easier.
SunflowerLaunching.jpg

Sunflower Before Launch.jpg
SunflowerTarponSprings.jpg

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 25, 2012
i always love seeing your pictures Will. sun flower is such a spectacular vessel.
thanks for sharing

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
when i picked up the boat, in conn, for my father back in 74' the previous owner said that he had just put it back in the boat as he never used it. i didn't think about it and we had it in till 93' when i started doing the chicago mac races with aeolus. i took it out then and have never put back in. my upper berths came with added lee boards. i made lee cloths out of canvas for the racing for the lower bunks. used the cockpit pads on the cabin sole for sleeping too.
i like the space open way more than than the seldom use as a dinner table.
the table is in great shape stored all these years back at my house.
very easy to remove. try it, you'll like it.
on the hook with a full crew you can walk by when they are sleeping.
i will never put it back in. do not miss it at all.
this is how we eat

my brother
I get that (table removal), Jon. We hadn't sailed our Challenger for more than a few days before I determined something needed to be done to the centerline table. The old designers must have had a vision of a crew of 6, three on each settee, enjoying Downton Abby style dining, several times a day. Maybe this was a day when only men sailed?

But removal wasn't an option. The bronze centerboard linkage tube goes through the table, so you might as well have a table.

After the first season, I removed it and cut it down. It took some time with a tape measure, thoughts, before I determined to cut 7" off each end. That hard won number stuck with me as I recall it now almost 20 years later with perfect clarity. I saved the drawers in each end which are very handy and used all the time.

That old table was heavily used since. Seems Mary Ann was held captive between it and the galley all those years.
Saloon table.jpg

No longer a table for six, it was the perfect size for our family of four (or loaner kids). Cutlery in this end, linens (endless) in the other.

It's still annoying at times. But folded down, we're used to it traveling fore and aft through the cabin.

What the shortening did (14"), was allow an open area at each end of the saloon. Especially on the fireplace end, there is now a comfortable seat for two around the fireplace, unfettered by the table.
949 Saloon aft 2 (1 of 1).jpg

For TaborKP, I thought of building another smaller table and putting the original in storage. You might consider that option if you don't need regular dining for 6 (who does?).
949 Saloon forward (1 of 1).jpg

BTW, this table has taken a beating! It was built 59 years ago of a high quality marine plywood. The workmanship was so good must think it is solid mahogany.

Drop leaf shaped mahogany was glued to the edges (and are sound as new). Beautiful old hinges (3/ leaf), shapely wooden brackets for leaf support and heavy latches to secure down, while at sea. You can see the bronze sockets which 4 full length fiddles fit into. Extremely handy to use at sea (we used them a lot).

While the table was out for recutting, I just sanded the existing varnish down(didn't need removing) and applied several coats of spar varnish (it was once gloss-now satin from use).

I've never done another thing to this old table, except to wipe it clean several times a day.

May 25, 2012
tom, your resolution is the best of both worlds. on aeolus the table was just too much. cramped the galley, cramped the seating below. you have solved both problems while keeping the use of the table. you have the best of both worlds.
nice handling :)

May 4, 2015
Tom and Jon,
Thanks for the comments on the table! Insightful, great pictures, I think it is going to get cut down, I would love to off set a bit to port, but likely too complicated. It would be great to get rid of, but I really do need it for cruising the coast. I like the idea of more room in front of the fireplace (not functional at current). Thanks Lloyd

May 4, 2015
Yes, I too like sailing with without a dodger, have not missed it at all after 3 seasons, on the delivery trip, I put my hand thought it as was rotted out, removed it as is was full width. Wind Song is actually set up with a combing just around the companion way, like Bounding Home, so will install a small dodger there, baby hamper I think some call it, but I suspect it will spend most if its time down. Thanks Lloyd

May 25, 2012
disclaimer: i totally get having a dodger. they are wonderful for so many reasons. i have been on many boats that have them and enjoyed what they provide. for me, i always choose what makes the best performance while sailing. from that narrow viewpoint a dodger does not work.

May 4, 2015
sd
perkins 107. two bladed prop. in calm. 2000 rpm 6.7 kts. in calm 2250 rpm 7.2 kts
i keep a clean bottom
aeolus does not back well at all. full keel with attached rudder. we man handle aeolus at the dock if we need to go astern. i never back into a slip. do not want the dock gawkers looking in.
i would be embarrassed to have a bow thruster on sailboat.

Jon, thanks for confirming the backing issue, i have the same issue. I get very similar performance at rpm as you do, impressive for a two bladed prop. How do you lock your shaft? Lloyd

May 4, 2015
auto pilot: in 45 years i have not gone three miles using the autopilot while having the sails up. the alden is such a joy to helm, why would i not do that which is the most fun for me. aeolus tracks so well, balances so nicely, is so much fun to command, ........ we always hand steer while sailing.
that said, i do use the auto pilot when motoring.
again , no electrical draw.
k./;lZ
John, agree, I love sailing her by hand, so only use the autopilot as required, very little, but handy when short handed. Thank god for it when motoring! mine uses very little power, even when sailing as the boat can be so well balanced. I like to use very little power, but the refer will change that for sure, anyhow a good bit of insulation but in, but I had to make a change for my 2 weeks ventures on the coast, and stinking hot days in Buzzards Bay in August. I also have a chart plotter, that I have on a swing in the companion way, below the sliding hatch, so it is very low profile , cant stand people have it on the helm. First few seasons it was only a chart and a compass, but for Maine, having sailed up there on a schooner for several summers, growing up was not going to risk it. I am a merchant mariner as well, my first ships at cadet did not have GPS, and went around the world. I like old school, and the art and skill that goes along with it.
Lloyd

May 25, 2012
aeolus came with the brake. there is a stainless band with brake shoe material that surrounds the shaft coupling flange. a cable is attached to the end of one side and goes to a lever just inside the locker next to the helm. pulling the lever the band clamps down on the flange. the lever has a jam that holds it tight. pics would help.

May 4, 2015
Thanks Jon, Nothing on Wind Song, but then reading the previous transmission manual it could lock the prop when in gear, not my current one. I am looking at this solution. http://shaftlok.com/ as an option.