Sailboat Transport - Looking for a Solution

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 311 Toronto
I currently have my boat on the hard in NY state. I have been trying DESPERATELY to get her back up to Canada (Lake Ontario).

It seems most (all?) US based companies won't come into Canada. I'm not sure if COVID has changed the rules at all but I do know of one hauler here in Canada that has agreed to retrieve her and it appears she could be brought across as a commercial exemption. I'd go with the Canadian operation but their quote seems to be materially higher than the quotes I've received from US haulers that will bring the boat pretty much right to the border - but not across.

I'd be keenly interested in hearing from any of you that have experience here or know of a transport service that I might try. If this is against forum rules a private message would be appreciated. I really want to bring her home. Many thanks!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Tell us more about the boat. How big, etc. and...
Have you considered sailing her to Canada. The Hudson river goes from NYC to right where you want to go. If not up the river, up the coast to Quebec. Transport within Canada would likely be easier and cheaper.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 311 Toronto
Tell us more about the boat. How big and...
Have you considered sailing her to Canada. The Hudson river goes from NYC to right where you want to go.

-Will (Dragonfly)
She's 32 ft. 10 ft beam. Approx 8000 lbs.

I would sail her into Canada under normal circumstances. She's on the Hudson right now but sections of the NY Canal system are shut down. No clean route into Lake Ontario.

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 311 Toronto
Read my edited post.

Up the coast to Quebec?

-Will (Dragonfly)
Looked into that as well. Up the eastern seaboard is roughly 5 times further than the canals and I'm told going the wrong way through the St Lawrence is certainly doable but can be a real challenge.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Given the state of affairs out there right now, it's probably not a great plan right now.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
5 times further than the canals
But is it 5 times slower? You may not need to get her all the way up the Saint Lawrence. Just get her to the Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick and see what ground transportation from there takes.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 311 Toronto
But is it 5 times slower? You may not need to get her all the way up the Saint Lawrence. Just get her to the Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick and see what ground transportation from there takes.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I'd rather avoid the 14 day quarantine if possible.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Both ways. Assuming you can even get across the border.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Given the timeline predictions of Covid - border closure have you considered selling the boat in the USA and buying one in Canada?

I know outside the box thinking but you could spend the whole season and maybe next trying to find a cheap and timely way to get that boat across if it’s even possible. All it takes is for the Canadian border agent to say know and your still on the hook for the transport costs. Just sayin:)

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 311 Toronto
Given the timeline predictions of Covid - border closure have you considered selling the boat in the USA and buying one in Canada?

I know outside the box thinking but you could spend the whole season and maybe next trying to find a cheap and timely way to get that boat across if it’s even possible. All it takes is for the Canadian border agent to say know and your still on the hook for the transport costs. Just sayin:)
I've looked into it. The sailor in me wants to bring her home. The finances suggest sell her and move on.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I've looked into it. The sailor in me wants to bring her home. The finances suggest sell her and move on.
I would guess the sailor in you also wants to be out on the water. As they say your boat your choice.
Happy Canada Day BTW :)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Could you not have it transported over land to the shores of lake Ontario in NY and then hire a US captain to sail it across to Ontario utilizing the commercial aspect of the exceptions? But I am sure that would not come inexpensively.......

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I believe the first place to start is with your border control people. Ask them if and/or how you can bring your boat across their border. Once you know the rules and if they will allow it, then you can go looking for a means to do it.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
I suggest you call Beneteau USA. I transported my Beneteau from Fla to RI (was in 2015). I called them and asked who transported their new boats. Felt that would be someone familiar with Beneteau and that they trusted. They should also know what is required to get a boat across the border.
BTW I was very satisfied with their recommendation

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I believe the first place to start is with your border control people. Ask them if and/or how you can bring your boat across their border. Once you know the rules and if they will allow it, then you can go looking for a means to do it.
Good advice. I would add that you should record the border agents name and ID # that assures you it is possible. Border agents are often left with the responsibility to interpret the many mixed messages so being able to accurately quote one of their coworkers goes a long way.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Tell us more about the boat. How big, etc. and...
Have you considered sailing her to Canada. The Hudson river goes from NYC to right where you want to go. If not up the river, up the coast to Quebec. Transport within Canada would likely be easier and cheaper.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Won't work, the border is closed. It is scheduled to re open on July 21, however, I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Jan 11, 2014
I currently have my boat on the hard in NY state. I have been trying DESPERATELY to get her back up to Canada (Lake Ontario).

It seems most (all?) US based companies won't come into Canada. I'm not sure if COVID has changed the rules at all but I do know of one hauler here in Canada that has agreed to retrieve her and it appears she could be brought across as a commercial exemption. I'd go with the Canadian operation but their quote seems to be materially higher than the quotes I've received from US haulers that will bring the boat pretty much right to the border - but not across.

I'd be keenly interested in hearing from any of you that have experience here or know of a transport service that I might try. If this is against forum rules a private message would be appreciated. I really want to bring her home. Many thanks!
Bring the boat on her own bottom to Buffalo. Hire a Canadian company to transport her from Buffalo to St. Catherines. Launch her and sail back to Toronto. I'm assuming you are in Toronto and the boat is in NY. If that is the case, find some one who is in the US to bring her to Buffalo.

Otherwise, I'm afraid you are stuck until the border opens again, which I don't expect for many months because of the continued increase of C-19 cases in the US.

Jan 11, 2014
Another thought, use a US firm to truck it to Buffalo, then hire a Canadian firm to truck it across the border.

Give RCR Yachts a call and ask for their advice.