sailboat transport company MA to FL recommendation

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
Need to haul a nominal 30ft sailboat with 10.4 beam and 4.3 draft from Quincy, MA to Hudson, Florida.
Recommendations please and thank you. I was told that I might need to wait until spring when owners ship north to escape hurricane season?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That might be true to avoid deadheading cost. Good for shippers on both ends

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Talk to Bayline Boatyard & Transport, New Bedford, MA, 508-994-2944 - they move 500 boats a year, have moved mine several times and are real experts. They have a small fleet of trucks and trailers, very impressive outfit.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
thanks Dmax, called, they do not go to Florida but he gave me a number of someone who does. Left voicemail. thanks a bunch!

Jul 24, 2006
first bid came in $7500 from Quincy, MA to Hernando Beach, FL-OUCH

Jul 24, 2006
Any chance of sailing it down there?
there be that! If I can't find a more affordable towing. It is an allottable time thing. I still work for a living, don't get any vacation pay. I thought of taking 2 weeks in spring/summer, stepping the mast, checking through hulls, mounting an outboard on the back, or side tying a dinghy with motor, and hoisting sail and see how far south I can get? Or,as an option, I could wait till I turn 62 and retire (1 year from now) and have all the time I need. Sure is a long time to wait tho

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Checked wiith a friend of mine and the quoted price on the east coast was reasonable You have no idea as to fuel costs, enormous bridge/route fees on the interstates north of Virginia, fuel, permits, insurance, etc. As a dealer I also did hauling as well now retired

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
there be that! If I can't find a more affordable towing. It is an allottable time thing. I still work for a living, don't get any vacation pay. I thought of taking 2 weeks in spring/summer, stepping the mast, checking through hulls, mounting an outboard on the back, or side tying a dinghy with motor, and hoisting sail and see how far south I can get? Or,as an option, I could wait till I turn 62 and retire (1 year from now) and have all the time I need. Sure is a long time to wait tho
Have you even seen this boat yet?
dj

Jul 24, 2006
no, just pics online and a couple of opinions from the local guy that worked on boat, and the recent hauler.
they stat its a good, nice boat

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'd recommend that before you start planning to sail the boat to Florida, you get on the boat and look at all the hoses, thru-hulls, standing rigging etc. There's a lot of water between New England and Florida. I recommend you hire a professional surveyor to go through the boat and identify work that may be needed to undertake a trip like that. Just my 2 cents worth....

dj

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
As appealing as sailing the boat south sounds, I wouldn't do it personally. Any boat that has been unused for several years, and questionable maintenance for the last few years of its use cannot be counted on for any length of voyage. You will probably need a few weeks just to get ready for a day sail.
I say questionable maintenance because there was mention of dementia. I looked at a boat a couple of years ago listed by the daughter of the owner. When I got there the daughter informed me her father had some dementia but wanted to be there to show the boat. There were some things that just weren't right that he had worked on, mostly wiring and plumbing. All things that could easily be corrected with a bit of time but I passed on that boat anyway.
If you can take a bit of time, it may be wiser to move the boat yourself. I realize COVID complicates things and the boat is a wide load. There are companies that specialize in obtaining permits for oversize loads. Here is an example:

You could call or email and see if that could work for you. It would probably save you a couple thousand to move it yourself even renting a truck. Heck, you could probably buy a trailer and still come out ahead then sell it when you launch the boat. A DIY move will take a lot more effort on your part but that is usually what it takes to save money.

MarcW

Dec 9, 2019
Hunter 356 Lancaster
...and see how far south I can get?
I took a 26 ft Jeanneau powerboat up the ICW last summer from Beaufort, SC to the Chesapeake Bay, rather than having it shipped. It took me almost a week but I was able to hit 25 kts in a lot of places. By myself and only day sailing. For your route at 6 kts I'd budget a month. My boat was practically new and nothing broke on the way.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I took a 26 ft Jeanneau powerboat up the ICW last summer from Beaufort, SC to the Chesapeake Bay, rather than having it shipped. It took me almost a week but I was able to hit 25 kts in a lot of places. By myself and only day sailing. For your route at 6 kts I'd budget a month. My boat was practically new and nothing broke on the way.
I had powerboat envy one day, tying up to a slip in New Jersey after a two week trek up the ICW from Norfolk, VA. The 50' powerboat next to me had done the same trip in one day. I was tempted to ask what his fuel bill was.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I had powerboat envy one day, tying up to a slip in New Jersey after a two week trek up the ICW from Norfolk, VA. The 50' powerboat next to me had done the same trip in one day. I was tempted to ask what his fuel bill was.
I call the ICW the motor-boater highway. When you’re cruising along at 20 fo 30 knots, it’s actually a thing of beauty. We owned a 20-ft Grady White in FL, and could go from St Pete to Captiva/Sanibel Island in less than a day (>100 n.mi.).:)

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I just had a 29' motorboat transported from Minnesota to Florida for around $5000.00. $7,500.00 for the sailboat sounds about right.