Sailboat surveyors near Annapolis

Nov 1, 2020
Hunter 27 Annapolis
Hello Anyone Near Annapolis.

I'm looking at a Cherubini Hunter 27. It looks to be in good shape and I'm thinking of making an offer but this would be my first cruising sailboat and I don't know what I don't know.

I'd like to get some level of prepurchase inspection/survey, and I'm wondering who you would recommend in the Annapolis area to give a meaningful but cost-effectice survey/inspection on a 1970s era Hunter while it's in the water.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I don’t know Annapolis surveyors, but a good one will do fine on the boat. Ours paid for his fee in price reductions due to issues he found. Further payoffs were starting our maintenance schedule, and insurance which required one.

We have cruised our ‘77 h27 for 21 seasons now. Our favorite features are:
- 6 foot height in the cabin.
- actually sleeps 5 comfortably. We have cruised a week at a time with 4 - the fifth berth provides needed storage. 4 can comfortably eat in the cabin.
- boom end sheeting to the back of the cockpit.
- good side decks to go forward under way.
- responsive steering. It will do a 360 in place.
- shoal draft on our boat opens up all waters in Lake Erie. But the 4 foot deep keel is only 9 inches deeper, and points better on the wind.
- simple systems are very reliable and easy to repair.
- we really like her looks.

Negatives:
- genny sheets led back outside the shrouds (and our shoal keel) mean it doesn’t point very well. This is not a boat to race around the marks. But it is fast on a reach.
- the v-berth is very comfortable for 2. But you have to flip 180 degrees getting in and out!

In short, we have cruised over 8,000 miles in Lakes Erie and Huron in Lady Lillie and slept on her over 500 nights, and have never longed for a larger boat. (We have chartered boats 30 to 45 feet 14 times, so we are familiar with larger Catalinas, Beneteaus, and other makes.)

Fair winds and following seas on your new adventure. And don’t forget the fun factor!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Hello Anyone Near Annapolis.

I'm looking at a Cherubini Hunter 27. It looks to be in good shape and I'm thinking of making an offer but this would be my first cruising sailboat and I don't know what I don't know.

I'd like to get some level of prepurchase inspection/survey, and I'm wondering who you would recommend in the Annapolis area to give a meaningful but cost-effectice survey/inspection on a 1970s era Hunter while it's in the water.

Appreciate any thoughts.
PM me. I'm in Eastport.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
Ken Henry 410-287-2028; Joyce Nolan 443-350-3447; Bill Weyant 410-322-6701; Fred Wise 410-275-4260
hopefully one of these surveyors can help you or recommend someone who can

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
Second the recommendation for Bill Weyant (410-322-6701). Heard him make a presentation very recently and seems quite knowledgeable.