Sailboat sinks at mooring Hamburg Cove, Lyme, Ct

Feb 3, 2012
Corbin 39 Pilothouse Cutter Lyme, CT
why was this boat abandoned on a mooring...? Hopefully not leaking fuel in such a beautiful harbor

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
little harbor 54, ted hood design, i've driven many miles on one of those

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
is there any story behind this? Great drone shots of the boat, then it's under water. What the hey?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is it still down there?
is there any story behind this?
:plus:
There were a couple of wrecked boats posted above a year ago where that question was asked. We had some interesting speculations based on visible evidence. Not much to tell a story here.
She looked in pretty good shape before she sank. Maybe her valves froze then thawed during a warm day.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Is it still down there?

:plus:
There were a couple of wrecked boats posted above a year ago where that question was asked. We had some interesting speculations based on visible evidence. Not much to tell a story here.
She looked in pretty good shape before she sank. Maybe her valves froze then thawed during a warm day.

-Will (Dragonfly)
That would be my guess. That ice is not likely to cause any serious hull damage. But a plug of water - especially fresh or brackish - inside a metal fitting of any kind, could cause the metal to split. Ice could also split an old hose or even lift it off it's barbed end.

Ice is powerful and laughs at metal, even Pex tubing can split.
Frozen pex split .JPG

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Ice is powerful and laughs at metal
Yup, we lost a house that way.
The oil line clogged the pipes froze then thawed and the value of the house dropped $70,000. Insurance wouldn't cover it.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Yup, we lost a house that way.
The oil line clogged the pipes froze then thawed and the value of the house dropped $70,000. Insurance wouldn't cover it.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Why wouldn't insurance cover the damage, Will?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Why wouldn't insurance cover the damage, Will?
The house was empty. We applied for a new policy, thinking it would be cheaper if no one was living in the house and no valuable possessions to cover. The agent came back with a more expensive insurance package explaining that because the house was empty the was no one there to respond to issues like a loss of heat where frozen pipes could result.
Having no other options, we picked up the new insurance. Come Christmas, these things always seem to happen on a holiday weekend, the pipes burst during a thaw. The policy, as it turned out, didn't cover water damage due to burst pipes. That issue was explicitly singled out. It would have been cheaper to have no insurance and coverage would have been about the same.
Our assumption was that coverage was the same as previous coverage and the agent's comments lead us to believe we were covered. However, even without that comment, we didn't have the experience to ask the right questions or understand to real dangers. So, water damage, the loss of nearly all plumbing, and mold lost the family a considerable amount of money.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Something fishy here.
So the boat just suddenly sinks a short time after a choreographed photography flyover while she's still afloat?
A well kept, quality build yacht?
What are the odds?
And the same drone operator just happens to be onsite again after the sinking?
Look at the ice. It's the same thickness in both incidents. The videos were not taken very far apart in time.
Then they added the music.
Drama.
Anytime I see drama and no further explanation, especially on the Internet, fishy.
I don't know what the fishiness is, but there's something odd.

Or it could be that the drone operator's presence and the sinking were fantastically coincidental. And the drone operator, who is apparently fascinated by sailboats, doesn't ask any questions about the incident.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
Don't understand this. An incredible boat - all by itself in a cove with no other boats? Is this standard practice on the East Coast?
The boat wasn't covered to keep out the rain and snow, but it does appears the headsail was taken off.
Maybe the owner was behind on the payments?....fell on hard times?....couldn't afford to have it in a better place for the winter? Lots of strange questions around this. But it's certainly a shame to see a beautiful boat like that resting on the bottom in 8-10 feet of water.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Owner may have been older and taken sick or died recently. A widow may not have known enough or had been too distracted to get the boat out of the water for winterization. Maybe there was nobody close enough to the owner to take care of the boat or even think about it. Some folks have relatively lonely lives. I have to admit/agree, the drone video is suspicious.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The drone operator lives nearby and happened to find the boat he just recorded a flyby of, sunk a few days later and thought, 'I'll go get my drone and video the "after" part.'

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The drone operator lives nearby als happened to find the boat he just recorded a flyby of, sunk a few days later and thought, 'I'll go get my drone and video the "after" part.'

-Will (Dragonfly)
I thought about that, too. It may have been a neighbor that simply thought the boat floating with ice around it was an opportunity for an artistic flight, not really understanding that the boat was in peril until after it sunk.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I do know that the place for on the Connecticut river that I looked into for mooring had a must pull the mooring out by, and those were in Octoberish time frame, just to add to the fishiness.......

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I thought about that, too. It may have been a neighbor that simply thought the boat floating with ice around it was an opportunity for an artistic flight, not really understanding that the boat was in peril until after it sunk.
Could be the boat owner was the drone owner also. Not unusual for the owner of a beautiful boat like that to have a drone to take videos. So he takes a beautiful shot of his baby sitting peacefully on her mooring. Next day or two she's at the bottom so he takes another flyover shot. If you have a drone to take videos of your own boat, you would presumably have an interest in dramatic video productions.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
So I did a bit of a Google search and nothing in the news about it. This is the text from the YouTube site of the apparent original poster of the video:

Frank DiNardi
Published on Jan 27, 2019

SUBSCRIBE 138
In the winter of 2018 going into 2019 this beautiful sailboat was left in the water only to I have ice build up around it and the inevitable happened. It sunk!

Anything now without any factual research is just conjecture and hyperbole. Maybe someone in the area could contact the local marina(s) or law enforcement and get what really happened?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've moored there and can say the cove is surrounded by residential properties. Anyone could have flown the drone over to take pictures. It's not that big. I would call the water brackish.
Little Harbors are not the kind of yachts that owners ignore.
The before and after raises questions.