Sailboat Shipping Costs

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 311 Toronto
Hi.

I’m trying to get my 32 foot boat transported from NY state to the Canadian side of Lake Ontario.

The distance is approximately 580 kilometres or 360 miles.

Has anybody been through a similar move or, if not, does anyone know what I should be reasonably expected to pay per mile for such a move.

Thanks.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Where is the boat in NY?

The last time I trucked a boat, 10 years ago, it was $600 for about 45 miles.

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 311 Toronto
She's in West Haverstraw. Busy marina. I was hoping to get a deadhead shipment up to Canada.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Can you get the boat to Lake Ontario from where it is in NY state? If so, consider hiring a captain with a mate or crew, which avoids haul out, disassembly, shrink wrap, transportation, reassembly and rigging adjustment and hoist into the water costs.

Might contact these guys for a quote: Sailboat Transport | Boat Haulers | Sailboat Shipping

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 311 Toronto
Can you get the boat to Lake Ontario from where it is in NY state? If so, consider hiring a captain with a mate or crew, which avoids haul out, disassembly, shrink wrap, transportation, reassembly and rigging adjustment and hoist into the water costs.

Might contact these guys for a quote: Sailboat Transport | Boat Haulers | Sailboat Shipping
I was going to bring her up the NY canal system. COVID has thrown a monkey wrench into this plan. The locks and sections of the canal are on a staggered opening schedule. Then there's the border shutdown...probably couldn't get across either way.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Way, way outside my area of experience, but wouldn't it be feasible to do a delivery through the canals in NY and the lakes on her own bottom, even if under power?

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 311 Toronto
Way, way outside my area of experience, but wouldn't it be feasible to do a delivery through the canals in NY and the lakes on her own bottom, even if under power?
Typically, yes. This year with all the COVID restrictions...no.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Then there's the border shutdown...probably couldn't get across either way.
If the border is closed, which it is, to non-essential traffic, how would a truck with your boat on it get through?

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 311 Toronto
If the border is closed, which it is, to non-essential traffic, how would a truck with your boat on it get through?
My understanding is that some boat traffic is making its way through.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
So, just curious, but if you sailed from somewhere near Rochester across Lake Ontario to a marina on the Canadian side, who would notice or care?

Sep 23, 2019
Beneteau 311 Toronto
So, just curious, but if you sailed from somewhere near Rochester across Lake Ontario to a marina on the Canadian side, who would notice or care?
I'm not sure there's a simple answer. I spoke with an agent at CBSA and she said that a number of their offices were shut down but that I should be able to bring it across if I could find an open one. Then Transport Canada says no cross border travel for non-essential but they list non-essential as tourism, recreation, or entertainment. I don't think bringing my boat back to Canada would fall under any of these. Fact is, it seems the gov't is playing it all by ear.

Jan 11, 2014
Ya don't mess with Canadian Border Patrol. They get serious real fast. The US Canadian border on Lake Ontario is patrolled by both sides.

Jan 11, 2014
I was going to bring her up the NY canal system. COVID has thrown a monkey wrench into this plan. The locks and sections of the canal are on a staggered opening schedule. Then there's the border shutdown...probably couldn't get across either way.
If you have the time, sail the boat up the Hudson, then down the Erie Canal. It should be open from the Hudson to Lake Erie next week. Once in Buffalo, ship the boat across the border to Hamilton and launch it there or store it until next spring.

The Oswego Canal will be open on August 10. The tentative border opening is scheduled for July 21, however, I suspect Justin will keep it closed another month.

Or bring the boat up to Lake Ontario and store for the winter on this side of the lake and take it across next spring. Winter storing at my marina will be way cheaper than trucking. Once the boat is on Lake Ontario, it can be staged for a quick trip across the Lake as soon as the border is open.

Where there is a will, there's a way.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
, recreation. I don't think bringing my boat back to Canada would fall under any of these. Fact is, it seems the gov't is playing it all by ear.
I believe any official would consider moving a pleasure craft as recreational. It certainly couldn't be viewed as essential to the welfare of anyone, even you.
Just my opinion.

Jan 11, 2014
I believe any official would consider moving a pleasure craft as recreational. It certainly couldn't be viewed as essential to the welfare of anyone, even you.
Just my opinion.
Going across on its own bottom probably would be considered recreational. Going across on a truck would might be considered commerce. The border is open to truckers, essential personnel, some family, and those being repatriated.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Going across on its own bottom probably would be considered recreational. Going across on a truck would might be considered commerce. The border is open to truckers, essential personnel, some family, and those being repatriated.
On its own bottom, yes that was my meaning.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Interesting to read about! We have already canceled our 2020 cruising plans (complete with reservations for marinas in BC) and are spending the summer doing upgrades and work on our boat. Social Distancing but with lots of sanding dust....

If the OP does find a way to move his boat, hopefully he can write a book about the whole adventure.
Modern day smuggling?! ----- Jimmy Buffet might even write a song about it !!
Best of Luck!
:)