Sailboat rental in Hawaii

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
The Admiral and I have decided to check off one of my bucket list items and visit Hawaii early next year. Besides visiting the USS Arizona Memorial and the Pacific Air Museum, we also wish to do some sailing, either in local waters or inter-island. I have looked on line but for some reason I wasn't really impressed with what I found. Anyone have any input?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Aloha!

Let me jump in here.

We're heading to Hawai'i in early December, while renting a sailboat was not on our to do list it certainly could be. I learned to sail in Kailua Bay on an El Toro and in Kaneohe Bay on a Rebel. It might be fun to go back some 50 years and sail again on those waters.

Any kaimaainas out there with some inside knowledge?

Mahalo!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have been going to Maui for the last 3 years, and have looked for sail boats to,rent...any size, even a small Hobie cat would be fun. But nothing on Maui that I have found. I am there doing whale watching season (winter in Chicago), so maybe that makes a difference. Can't rent a jet-ski on Maui that time of year either.

I did go out on a 50-foot Santa Cruz last year (http://www.scotchmistsailingcharters.com) for a short sail with a few other sight-seers and 2 crew. But still looking to rent something to sail out there.

Not many private sailboats on Maui....I hear that the 2 marinas are terribly expensive and you "buy" it until you give it up, but you can't sell it.

I did see a sweet Beneteau 373 for sale at Lahaina Harbor and tried to set up a "test sail" from the broker....thought that would be a good way to get a sail in, but alas, they saw through my plan

Greg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Don't forget the Missouri which is next to that but not sure if the shuttle will drop you off or have to go around to that. Fitting as both battlewagons is like the beginning and the end. It was amazing how reverent the Japanese who visited the Arizona Memorial while some Europeans were loud and bostrious, I heard a first hand account about the Arizona from a friend of mine now deceased who was one of the few who survived from the Arizona but lost a brother entombed there. I walked over to the Japanese and thanked them for being respective and made sure the other idiots hear when I said others absolutely were out of line at the Memorial.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Remember that in the time of year you are there, its also big Surf season on the Windward side. If you were considering going outside of Kaneohe Bay, you might have more than you would ever want.
There are Sailboats in Kewalo Basin at the west end of AlaMoana Park, but I don't recall seeing any for charter.
Try checking with Waikiki Yacht Club, someone there might be able to provide a lead, or may be looking for crew for racing or practice.
Ali Wai Boat Harbor at the east side of AlaMoana park looks nice from the air, but there seem to be more derelicts than decent boats.
There may be something out on Sand Island, not sure though.
I am not a local, but have been there more than I care to be.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I would suggest that you not even consider an interisland small craft sailing trip in the Hawaiian Islands. The channels are most often very rough to extremely rough and no place for any but the most experienced sailors.
Each island is independent and rises from the sea floor. Most have very high mountains. This makes the channels choke points for the 2k or so miles of tradewind fetch and funnels for the tradewinds.
Stick to a day sail in the lee of whatever islands you might be visiting for pleasant sailing.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Good point Capta: my wife and I took an LST trip years ago from Oahu to the Big Island. The seas were so huge only 5 of us of 60 passengers were not seasick! 1st in the chow line! Chief

Jan 11, 2014
We'd be happy with a daysailer or small keelboat, think Flying Scot or J22. Something sail for a couple of hours to bring back memories and not sit on the beach.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I would suggest that you not even consider an interisland small craft sailing trip in the Hawaiian Islands. The channels are most often very rough to extremely rough and no place for any but the most experienced sailors.
Each island is independent and rises from the sea floor. Most have very high mountains. This makes the channels choke points for the 2k or so miles of tradewind fetch and funnels for the tradewinds.
Stick to a day sail in the lee of whatever islands you might be visiting for pleasant sailing.
That.

There is a reason NO major chartering organization has a base there. Its actually a very challenging place to sail.

Jan 11, 2014
Chief and Rich,

Unfortunately I do not have a military connection that will allow me access to military facilities. However I do have a military connection sailing in Hawai'i. Back in the 60's my father (retired AF) had access to Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station and learned to sail there. As children my brother and I were able to sail with him, having some great times on Kaneohe Bay.