Sailboat falls off trailer

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The speed limit on the 401 is 100km/hr - 62mph but most of the traffic in Toronto flows at 120 - 75 or higher, with frequent slow to a crawl or stopped based on traffic.

Wouldn’t you just love to look in your rear view mirror and see that long spear of a mast sliding towards you!

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
A few weeks ago here in Deale, MD (south of Annapolis) we had a trailer sailor put the boat on the trailer and try to drive home. With the mast up. Within 300 feet of leaving the marina they hit a powerline with the mast, knocking the boat off the trailer and power out for several hours. Miraculously no one was hurt.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
A few weeks ago here in Deale, MD (south of Annapolis) we had a trailer sailor put the boat on the trailer and try to drive home. With the mast up. Within 300 feet of leaving the marina they hit a powerline with the mast, knocking the boat off the trailer and power out for several hours. Miraculously no one was hurt.
I wonder if they did the standard safety walk around to ensure their signal lights were working before pulling out of the parking lot ? ;)
What’s that saying here..... can’t fix stupid :)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I wonder if they did the standard safety walk around to ensure their signal lights were working before pulling out of the parking lot ? ;)
What’s that saying here..... can’t fix stupid :)
Don't know about the signal lights but I would bet their anchor and nav lights were working, I guess they should have had their steaming light illuminated.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Reminds me of the salesman who took a customer on a Hunter or Mac for a test sail. A trailer sailer anyways. They came in and got the boat on the trailer on the ramp, and the salesman just trew the bow line into the back of his van then slammed the back door shut on it. When he started to pull out, the boat tilted up in the air, stern in the water. Looked like a "water wheelie". They didn't call him Crazy Jim for nuthin'.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
At least youd see the sailboat coming at you which is more than can be said about errant wheel assemblies. Welcome to Torojimo.