Sailboat Drone

Aug 13, 2021
Hunter 23.5 Atlanta
You may have seen in the news where NOAA sailed drones into Hurricane Sam this week. Pretty cool tech. Maybe the world is starting to appreciate the simplicity and efficiency of sailing again!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I like it. Very good use of technology to gather data that can be used to improve forecast accuracy without putting anyone in harm’s way.

Sep 11, 2021
CAL 34 CAL 34 Fortman Marina
You may have seen in the news where NOAA sailed drones into Hurricane Sam this week. Pretty cool tech. Maybe the world is starting to appreciate the simplicity and efficiency of sailing again!

Super cool, thanks for sharing. I didn't see this in the news...

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
While neat, how long before it gets stolen? You drop an unmanned boat out into the ocean, and someone is bound to come along side and steal it for the solar panels and tech. You have no way of guarding it.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Very cool they sent some of them into a hurricane and they were actually able to send data and video out. I didn't realize how big those things get. Imagine coming across a 72 foot unmanned boat in the middle of the ocean.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
You drop an unmanned boat out into the ocean, and someone is bound to come along side and steal it for the solar panels and tech. You have no way of guarding it.

Dave

I think it has two gatling guns on it and is now self aware like the Skynet system in Terminator. Just make sure if you see it you follow the COLREGS regarding vessels meeting or .................................................

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago

This is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!
While neat, how long before it gets stolen? You drop an unmanned boat out into the ocean, and someone is bound to come along side and steal it for the solar panels and tech. You have no way of guarding it.
This was happening to expensive weather bouys
Very cool they sent some of them into a hurricane and they were actually able to send data and video out. I didn't realize how big those things get. Imagine coming across a 72 foot unmanned boat in the middle of the ocean.
Free boat with a captain? Hell yeah! Oh wait, it's going straight for a hurricane! :yikes::facepalm:

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dave.
They do have gadgets on board that some may consider valuable.

Not all sailors are pirates seeking plunder.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Not all sailors are pirates seeking plunder.
SO now we divert this discussion into if its appropriate to fly a pirate flag on your boat :)
But to specifically answer your comment, only a stink boater would do that. :biggrin:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
An opensourced DIY chaingun with some python coding, all run on a raspberrypi would be easily doable:

only a stink boater would do that.
All easily solved in some code...

A simple test for pirate flag could be done... but considering stickpots would be suspect by default, you could simply do something like:

if vessel (sys.argv) != sailboat or colregtest (sys.argv) = fail:
mode = 'chaingunwarning'
else

if vessel (sys.argv) = pwc:
mode = 'chaingunterminate'
else
mode= 'clearedtoproceed'

That would teach sailboats to follow colregs, stinkpots to be chased off, and PWC to be dealt with effectively.

Code could be easily customized for various needs, including for quiet anchorages by adding sound level sensors.:cool:

Just think... a boat that sails itself and chases off interlopers.
If it gliches, then you could end up with a nice empty anchorage.
Maybe we can start a GoFundme and get this going ? Hopefully beta test by spring. :biggrin:

P.S. Apologies to people who actually know how to code.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
@jssailem has informed me that a Phalanx system, accidentally fired on the USS Missouri during the Gulf War, while in automatic mode.

While there is a strong chance it was intentionally done by a commendable British patriot sailor to teach the traitorous colonists a lesson, it shows the risks of using AI to control weapons.

I wonder if by using software, running on the windows platform instead, you would have plausible deniability, to deflect any blame for "glitches" ?

Based on my experience, it likely doesn't matter if it works 100% as long as legally your donkey is covered :yikes:

Last edited: